The Lemonade Stand Contest: A Comedy of Errors! (Congrats Winners!)

MABMAB Posts: 148
edited September 2012 in The Commons

I know it’s been a carefully guarded secret, so many of you may not be aware that the switch to the New DAZ Store hasn’t gone as smoothly as planned. *insert ironic tone of voice here* >_> <_< >_>
Well, when life gives you lemons, it’s time for lemonade. Presenting “The Lemonade Stand Contest: A Comedy of Errors” where we make something positive of the negative and vent our frustrations with some good old fashioned artistic fun.

Contest Parameters:

1. Make an image that uses at least one product from the DAZ store of a listed participating PA below. These PAs have contributed prizes to the contest.

2. Depict a problem you have encountered with the new store in an amusing, upbeat way that embodies the theme of the contest which is to make lemonade from lemons. So we are looking for good fun that puts a positive spin on the things that have gone awry.

3. Image must be kept to a maximum of 800 X 800 pixels.

4. Any application may be used to render your image: DAZ Studio, Poser, Maya, Carrara, Lightwave, Bryce, etc. Any and all postwork is acceptable.

5. Use of the PA product must be recognizable (except if one of the PA participant's store includes lighting which we realize will not be apparent).

6. Image description for the image should explain what the error, you are poking fun at, is and list what was used in terms of the participating PA's product.

7. Deadline for entries is July 15th 2012.

Images will be judged by the contributing PAs and the criteria used will focus on artistic merits of the image, and how well it illustrates the New Store Error it’s poking fun at. (It can be errors from the time the new store was first launched. So it doesn't matter if the error is now fixed.)

Grande Prize winner will receive a free product from all of the PAs contributing to this contest.

Below is a list of the PAs contributing prizes to this contest and what they’re offering:

surreality -Prize can be chosen from surreality's store
FeralFey -Prize offered is Timeless Beauty Portraits Bundle
Mab & Will Dupre -Prize can be chosen from Will & Mab's store
Cris Palomino -Prize can be chosen from Cris Palomino's store (including items partnered with Will Dupre or Mab)
blondie9999 -Prize can be chosen from blondie9999's store
Lantios -Prize can be chosen from Lantios’ store
Bobbie25 -Prize can be chosen from Bobbie25's store with special permission to choose from DAZ Originals created by Bobbie25
Phoenix1966 -Prize can be chosen from Phoenix1966's store
Capsces Digital Ink -Prize can be chosen from Capsces Digital Ink's store
DestinysGarden -Prize can be chosen from DestinysGarden's store
Joequick -Prize offered is "Muck" http://www.daz3d.com/shop/muck-for-genesis/
Karth -Prize offered is HomeSlipperZZ
Orestes Graphics -Prize can be chosen from Orestes Graphics' store
ForbiddenWhispers -Prize offered is http://www.daz3d.com/shop/serene-scene-lights-bundle/
Syndaryl -Prize offered is http://www.daz3d.com/shop/spooky-light-gels-bundle/ & http://www.daz3d.com/shop/monster-details-for-genesis/
AprilYSH - Prize can be chosen from AprilYSH's store
DivabugDesigns -Prize can be chosen from DivabugDesigns' store
XP Pointblank -Prize can be chosen from XPPointblank's store
DraagonStorm -Prize can be chosen from DraagonStorm’s store
zigraphix -Prize can be chosen from zigraphix's store
Frank0314 (ArtCollaborations) -Prize can be chosen from ArtCollaborations' store
DzFire -Prize offered is "The Old Warehouse" http://www.daz3d.com/shop/the-old-warehouse/
Jack Tomalin -Prize can be chosen from Jack Tomalin's store

Please note that bundles and DAZ originals and Plat Club items cannot be chosen as prizes from PAs who are letting winners pick from their store, unless otherwise stated after the particular PA’s name or stated by the PA in personal correspondence with a winner. Also, some PAs do partnered products. Whether or not you can choose from their partnered products the PAs will let the winners know when they’re contacted for the prizes, if it’s not stated above.

There will also be a list of honorable mentions who will receive one prize from the PA who chooses their image. Honorable mention images will be announced, but not which PA(s) selected them. Yes, there is a chance that an honorable mention will be chosen by more than one PA and therefore get more than one prize, but that is between the honorable mentions and the PAs as to what got them honorably mentioned in this thread. They will not be posted in any particular order. The honorable mention winners will be contacted by the PA(s) prior to the public announcement of their winning.

The grande prize winner will be pleasantly surprised and not know of their winning until they’re announced to this thread to give PAs time to take care of the honorable mentions and give me time to prepare the contact list so the grande prize can be awarded as smoothly as possible.

Note:

Though in most cases the contributing PAs cannot offer DAZ originals that they created as a prize, you can still use those DAZ originals they created as the PA item used in your entry image. Just make note of it with your image description as to which PA listed above created the DAZ original product used in your image entry.

While DAZ is fixing these minor issues with the store, let’s have fun with it!

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on

Comments

• MABMAB Posts: 148
    edited August 2012

Announcing the Winners of the "Lemonade Stand Contest: A Comedy of Errors"!!!

Grande Prize Winner:
    “Waiting too long for the new store pages to load… Or could that be one of the Daz web guys?” by Fille123
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2516/P60/#51213
    http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=4&aid=9383_m15C1dYULzM1CsOY7oVB&board_id=1

Honorable Mentions (listed in no particular order):

"The Major" by Totte http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2516/P30/#40079
    "Alice in Blunderland" by Lady Nexion http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2516/P60/#50912
    "Wait! You forgot the tape and wire!!" by Ippotamus http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2516/P60/#51811
    "Hair Donations, Wigs for Cancer" by fivecat http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2516/P45/#44205
    "The Imposters" by Scott-Livingston http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2516/P60/#51994
    "Store Website going live in 3…2…1…Zaaaap!" by Kendall Sears http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2516/P30/#43087
    "Step right up! Try your luck!
    Give the wheel a tumble!
    Will you pay a “super” price?
    Or will it cost a bundle?" by Scott-Livingston http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2516/P45/#44966
    "Dude,... You’re supposed to warn me if I already purchased something. And how am I supposed to find anything down here anyway?" by bohemian3 http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2516/P15/#36609
    "Forum Paintover" by Stezza http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2516/#32519
    "While Waiting for DAZ to Process Your Order, You Can:" by Sean Martin http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2516/P30/#39373
    "...all right, now checkout" by Skiriki http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2516/#35261

In the cases where actual titles weren't provided, I just kinda invented titles. >_>
    I am awaiting a couple more PA's choices for honorable mentions, so more may be added to this list, if they're not the same choices as other PAs.

Congratulations winners and Congratulations to everyone who entered. You brought smiles and helped to air out mutual frustrations in a positive, fun manner.

Post edited by MAB on
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

What's the entry deadline?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do, since I've been lucky and only run in to a few glitches. And there are too many people who are better than I am artisticly for me to win anyway... :)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Muck - what is the real price ?

what_is_the_real_price.jpg
    800 x 800 - 247K
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure what I'm going to do, since I've been lucky and only run in to a few glitches. And there are too many people who are better than I am artisticly for me to win anyway... :)

Oops. Forgot to put that in the initial post. Deadline is the 6th of July 2012

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,586
    edited June 2012

If you do not enter you do not win. Sometimes you may enter and find out you win something worthwhile.

If you already have some of the qualifying items it would not cost you anything but just some time..

Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,750
    edited December 1969

Backdrops Made Easy - blondie999

Title - Forum Paintover

also used Hein and Karth's painter textures for the sailor :coolsmile:

Painter.jpg
    800 x 600 - 373K
  • FeralFeyFeralFey Posts: 3,888
    edited December 1969

Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing all the renders. It should be fun.

And just to let you all know what prompted this, a group of the PAs were noticing the ridiculous pairings of products with totally inappropriate "required" products. I, myself, found a hair texture that required the African elephant. How silly is that? And then on the day we were putting the contest together, DAZ fixed the problem we were laughing about!

Which brings up the point: Timing is EVERYTHING. So, in all seriousness, please join in the fun. It won't last forever.

And, as it has already been mentioned, you can't win if you don't enter. And with all these aforementioned PAs (in the first post) participating, and all picking an honorable mention winner, you all stand a very good chance at winning some fabulous products.

I want to see absurdity, people! (Insert devilish smiley here.)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

da whats my name
    Muck

da_whats_my_name.jpg
    800 x 800 - 383K
    edited December 1969

FeralFey said:
    Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing all the renders. It should be fun.

And just to let you all know what prompted this, a group of the PAs were noticing the ridiculous pairings of products with totally inappropriate "required" products. I, myself, found a hair texture that required the African elephant. How silly is that? And then on the day we were putting the contest together, DAZ fixed the problem we were laughing about!

Which brings up the point: Timing is EVERYTHING. So, in all seriousness, please join in the fun. It won't last forever.

And, as it has already been mentioned, you can't win if you don't enter. And with all these aforementioned PAs (in the first post) participating, and all picking an honorable mention winner, you all stand a very good chance at winning some fabulous products.

I want to see absurdity, people! (Insert devilish smiley here.)

Dittos!

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

The plan had been perfect: they downloaded the blueprint of the Dream Home off DAZ3D's site, and then Leonore cast her teleportation spell; in no time they would hamburglarize the house's kitchen, and be out in a blink of an eye before anyone would be none the wiser.

Too bad that all the food had gotten stuck in "auth_pending" queue, and all they found were couple of freebie lemons made by some newbie. Leonore bit back her disappointment, but her familiar, Lucius, was much more vocal about his disappointment to lack of cheezbrgrs.

(Kione Hair by AprilYSH; Magna Harta by Bobbie25; lemons by me!)

lemon_hoist.png
    800 x 800 - 887K
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited June 2012

Here's a quick entry.

Used the light fixture fron R&R Time.

No postwork. DS4.5 under Linux/Wine.

Kendall

Title: "It ain't me... No, it ain't me... I'm not Max Headroom, Nawhhh!" (Creedence Clearwater Revival for those interested)

rini_lemonade.jpg
    800 x 690 - 348K
    Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

Yea! More people playing!!! Awesome. Keep it up, folks.

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549
    edited June 2012

Thanks for starting us off bigh, Stezza, Skiriki and Kendall Sears. Very fun pictures.

Miss Bad Wolf and DaWaterRat, I fully expect to see pictures from you.

Here's a tip from me: really make me laugh and you have a good shot at getting my vote. ;-)
    Lots and lots of prizes to be had. Best of liuck everyone.
    cheers!

Post edited by DestinysGarden on
    edited June 2012

Increasingly bizarre product prerequisites first lead into confusion, then utter chaos: the elephant trumpeted in protest as it became hairy in ways nature had not intended, as colors from Silver Moon hair leapt to its body. Multiplane Cyclorama experienced an environmental cat-astrophe as the cats kept multiplying.

Only Michael was pleased about this turn of events, especially when the wind picked up and gave that delightful feeling of breeze.

(Cuffed Tail 2 by AprilYSH; Sci-Fi Bunny ears by Bobbie25)
    (Edit: decided to go with my second picture instead. No other postwork done but removal of couple of annoying seams and poke-thrus.)

store_confusion2.png
    800 x 800 - 827K
    Post edited by Skiriki on
    edited December 1969

"...all right, now checkout..."

"..."

"...Where do I put in my coupon? It doesn't say coupon anywhere! There's no slot for coupon! Just gift card! Oh god, would you please stop fighting already, I'm working as fast as I can, but I can't see a slot for coupon!"

(AprilYSH's Gia Hair; Bobby25's briefs for M5, Ranger top, Alruna boots; and no, there's no way you can read off my personal info off that screen 'cuz I fudged it in Photoshop before using it for a render... Fortunately, this little glitch has been corrected -- it now says both gift cards and coupon. I found it funny that I had to modify Valandar's Quick Checkout to say 'gift cards', because it said 'coupons' on that slot. Background added as postwork in Photoshop, everything else rendered as is.)

coupon_goes_where.jpg
    800 x 800 - 466K
    edited December 1969

A crowd had gathered to protest changes; it was inevitable that it happened -- people did not like change, and they liked it even less when it went haywire. It is perfectly understandable.

However, there are always some elements that go a bit... extreme when they face change. With interesting theories regarding why something happens, often coupled with signs and websites that have never seen design nor layout, but sure abuse the hell out of font tags.

It was therefore natural that they'd pick a pretty missing girl as a focus of their anger against everything.

(Again, AprilYSH for Gia hair, Bobbie25 for clothes, ground pilfered from Backyard BBQ, and oh, Rainbow of Nails used too, although it is not as nicely visible as I had hoped for. The reason why I seem to use so many elements again and again is because I do not have a large selection of stuff available, I'm still a newb. :down:)

(Note: I am not poking fun at specific people on forums -- I'm mostly venting out my RL frustration. My mother has a paranoid personality disorder (and borderline personality disorder), and I spent thirty minutes on phone this week trying to sort her fears that "they" have been to her place, and have done random nonsensical things in order to twig her. If she knew how to use internet, create websites, or had a reason to write signs, and if she had been here, this is what she would write.)

FREE_TAMESIS.jpg
    800 x 800 - 368K
    edited June 2012

Crazy Nights woke up in a cell, with a thudding hangover in its non-existing head. Last evening was nothing but vague memories, maybe some carousing, yelling? It startled when one of the DAZ Archons manifested in front of it; a reflexive smart-ass response arose in its mind, a bit of teen-like rebellion against the authority.

Crazy Nights was told that it would be kept in cells and not released with a written misdemeanor as usual; it would be a good idea to contact the family lawyer as well, because this time it had been hauled in for disrupting lawful commerce and causing distress in public.

It might be a while before it would get out of DAZ dungeons. At worst? It might get sent to AntFarm's Deadwater Jail... and toons make aggravating cellmates.

(Yes, Crazy Nights is back to the store, and aren't we all glad for it. Kione hair by AprilYSH -- I just love the peacock color -- and Visual Shaders. I have a second render of this pic also coming up, with DzFire's raytraced Real Metals. I wonder if my computer will die first or if I can get the render out before that happens...)

(Edited to add a second version of this picture with DzFire's raytraced Real Metals. It took 3 hours 15 minutes for 8-core system to render this at raytrace depth of 4... I tweaked couple of things, so it is not completely the same as above.)

Crazy_Nights_jailed_reflective.png
    800 x 800 - 737K
    Crazy_Nights_jailed.png
    800 x 800 - 747K
    Post edited by Skiriki on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

The entries are great! LOL

BTW, how do we get to a PA's store? I think I missed something somewhere?

edited December 1969

Search the store using the name given, that's how I did it. :)

edited December 1969

Spit said:
    The entries are great! LOL

BTW, how do we get to a PA's store? I think I missed something somewhere?

As far as I understand, the webbies are working on getting PA stores to be functional links, but there's no timeline as to when that will happen. But for now, Skiriki is correct. The best way to find a PA's store is to do a search by a PA's name.

Or, if you see a PA post in one of the forums, I think most of them have now included links to their stores in their signature lines, so you can get there that way as well. ...Of course, this is neither effective nor efficient if you're looking for a PA who doesn't frequent the forums. (Insert a rolling eyes smiley here, followed by a stupidly grinning smiley. Lol.)

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

FeralFey said:

But for now, Skiriki is correct. The best way to find a PA's store is to do a search by a PA's name.

And given the store search still doesn't show up things like Princess, or Tamesis, that really needs to be a google search for daz3d+PA's name!

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,060
    edited December 1969

The search doesn't find anything for me. I tried last night to find the Classic bundle for Genesis and it wouldn't find it, even with the exact product name! I tried several other things, too, with the exact names, with just the main word. Nothing! >:(

Dana

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    The search doesn't find anything for me. I tried last night to find the Classic bundle for Genesis and it wouldn't find it, even with the exact product name! I tried several other things, too, with the exact names, with just the main word. Nothing! >:(

Dana

Try "Classics Bundle for Genesis"

• bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,021
    edited June 2012

Dude,... You're supposed to warn me if I already purchased something. And how am I supposed to find anything down here anyway?

Lot's of posts out there bemoaning you are no longer warned if purchasing a duplicate... Also the Itemized Order History paging option without a search function is proving challenging for some including myself.

But through it all... DAZ has amazing artists!

Thank you all for the great work you do.... Suddenly this guy who can't draw to save his life can create some reasonably decent graphics - that's a special gift you give to people like myself.

FeralFey : Pose from Waiting in Line
    Mab & Will Dupre: Cowboy Boots (Though lost in shadows ;(
    Lantios : Karass for M4 - Love that texture!
    AprilYSH : Jordan Hair
    ArtCollaborations: Cargo Hold
    DzFire: Real Cases
    Blondie9999 and Handsome Head Morphs for Genesis (One of my most favorite products of all... a great example of why Genesis is so fantastic.)

Link to large version of River... the character I dialied up from a combo of M4 & HH Morphs. I created him for this fun contest & I really ended up liking him. https://public.sn2.livefilestore.com/y1pHeIcFZGO_JhDONe6VuL5KV79cmCHX-FqiWOFkSmSgudxso4Idd-rZFyAIQcwIX9-RyiHrrVPiXTzCCGwbpfgmg/River_Large.jpg?psid=1

Cargo.jpg
    800 x 600 - 301K
    Post edited by bohemian3 on
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

Dana

Try "Classics Bundle for Genesis"

I actually did. I just didn't remember it exactly when I was writing the post. But I got the name from my promo images and downloaded files. I always save the promos of things I get, so I can look at them and know what the hell I have...sometimes the product name give absolutely no indication of what the thing actually is!

Perhaps it was just a bad night for the site. The same search found the item just now.

Dana

• XP PointblankXP Pointblank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Great job so far everyone keep them coming :)

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Love it, Bohemian! Mine's basically the same theme. :)

Nasty horrible no-good T-Storm yesterday. Power and Cable both went out. Just got them back about an hour ago. :(

--------------------

What a way for DAZ to double the money and double the fun! They no longer let you know if you've already purchased an item!! Now all my renders make me think I'm seeing double. What duplicity!

MAB Catgirl for Genesis
    CDI (Capsces) poses for Hitomi

(I limited the props to one from an item-- doubled of course. Used the new DAZ4.5 instancing feature. The only item not doubled is Nytoprod's Tori. Others by LisaB, Honey (freebie), Merlin and a couple others..

spit-duplicityx800alg.jpg
    800 x 640 - 123K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Although their rituals and supplications at the Magento Temple seemed to be growing more and more desperate, whenever they were asked when their prayers would be answered, the Clerics of Daz would invariably answer with a single word: "Soon...!"

Featuring:

Alruna - Bobbie25
    Caleb Hair - AprilYSH
    Celestial Pool - ARTCollaborations
    Cuffed Tail 2 - AprilYSH
    DragonLord for Genesis - Bobbie25
    Genesis Ranger - Bobbie25
    Gia Hair - AprilYSH
    Journeyer Scout for Genesis (does this count?) - MAB(?)
    Lantios Lights 2 - Lantios
    Short Beard for Genesis - Blondie9999
    Stefan for M4 and Genesis - Phoenix1966
    Tamesis Bundle - surreality

From left to right:
    Figure 1 is Genesis with Stefan skin and shape, Cuffed Tail 2, Short Beard for Genesis, and DragonLord for Genesis
    Figure 2 is Genesis with Modern Muses: Tamesis skin and shape, Gia Hair, and Genesis Ranger (with Genesis Ranger Textures)
    Figure 3 is Genesis/M5 shape with Otherworldly Wonders: Tamesis WildElf skin, Caleb Hair, and Journeyer Scout
    Figure 4 is Genesis/V3 shape with Stefan skin, Gia Hair, and Alruna

Lighting is preset #2 from Lantios Lights 2. Postwork done in GIMP. The pinkish liquid is supposed to be pink lemonade, of course--and the color is also supposed to be evocative of magenta/Magento. Hope you like this render. It was a joy to include many of my favorite products in the same image.

lemonade1f.jpg
    800 x 550 - 372K
    edited December 1969

Ha! I just got that one again when I tried to get the new freebie! :lol:

I'm lovin' these renders!

Dana

• PandaB5PandaB5 Posts: 250
    edited June 2012

Well my newsletters have of late been coming with the images off the screen (no I can't scroll across.) So I decided to see if we could help fix that problem.

Daz PA artist images used (whether or not part of this)

Capsces Digital Ink = Chubblies
    Mada / Thorneworks = Moon Baby
    Neftis = WildMane HairStyle
    Neftis = Jael Hair

Everything else comes with Poser or is postwork (from years of playing in Daz Render Remix!)

chubblies_export1.jpg
    800 x 653 - 178K
    Post edited by PandaB5 on