Disappearing cursor/mouse

EamonEamon Posts: 159
edited June 2013 in The Commons

Does anybody have any idea why my curser keeps disappearing when using Daz Studio?

It's really driving me nuts and making it impossible to work.

Daz driving one to loose mind?? Heaven forbid!

I am on a iMac 2.55Ghz Core 2 Duo, Mac OS 10.6.4 with 8gb of memory!

I am working with Fantasy castle.

Post edited by Eamon on

Comments

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Happens to me semi-regularly (maybe once a week), more often on Windows than on my Mac. I just save, exit DAZ Studio and restart. It's usually helpful if I've set my current scene as the default load.

I wish I knew what sequence of actions made it vanish. I think it has something to do with having the focus be outside of DAZ when it's trying to do some operation. So it hides the cursor, but because the cursor's not in its space, it never gets the chance to unhide it.

That's a guess.

Anyway, I haven't looked to see if there's already a bug open for it, but if there isn't, you should file one and I'll chime in.

-- Morgan

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

In my case, it vanished when I was zooming in or out, or when I used the positioning trackball. I use the past tense because when I replaced my mouse, the behavior disappeared. I use a PC.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,954
    edited December 1969

sjhayes2 said:
    In my case, it vanished when I was zooming in or out, or when I used the positioning trackball. I use the past tense because when I replaced my mouse, the behavior disappeared. I use a PC.

When you say replaced your mouse did you get a totally different one or just a new one ,cause I'm having the same issue .....

• EamonEamon Posts: 159
    edited December 1969

It just dissapears when I mouse over the parameters of any of the pullout menus.

It seems to do when I am working with a maybe large file.

Though this one in particular happens when just using the Blentworth Castle which i guess is a large file.

Still, I have never seen this happen on a Mac ever! This certainly didn't happen when using Poser which i had been using up until recently.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited June 2013

have you considered upgrading to 10.6.8? If you can, there were a few video upgrades during 10.6 but I can't remember which systems were addressed during which update. I want to say 10.6.4 (which you said you're running) was the major one but there were some system specific upgrades after that.
    I have 10.6.8 running on a core 2 duo with 8 GB RAM and it's pretty solid but I'm not using Studio on that system.
    If nothing else fixes it you mouse pointer could be submarineing because of some other process running (go to Macintosh HD:Applications:Utilities:Activity Monitor and see if something is eating lots of CPU time) but the fact ti happens when you mouse over parameters makes me think it's video card drivers and OpenCL. and macs are not as simple as going to the vendor website to get the update, it generally needs to be done from apples update server (Apple Menu>Software Update...)

also are you running a graphics tablet?

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited June 2013

Eamon said:
    It just dissapears when I mouse over the parameters of any of the pullout menus.

It seems to do when I am working with a maybe large file.

Though this one in particular happens when just using the Blentworth Castle which i guess is a large file.

Still, I have never seen this happen on a Mac ever! This certainly didn't happen when using Poser which i had been using up until recently.

Yep, I have an iMac - only a couple of months old - running OS X 10.8.4 and I get this happening several times a day. I CMD-S and CMD-Q and restart but it is a nuisance. I have also noticed that it happens when I'm in the Parameters panel.

Post edited by marble on
    edited December 1969

I have submitted a bug for this: https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=50583

Please add any details to the bug report that you think might help.

• EamonEamon Posts: 159
    edited June 2013

Oh that's good you submitting a bug report. Perhaps I should do the same so the guys at Daz will look to fixing it?

What I doo when it happens and I don't want to restart, I move the mouse to the top of the finder window and click.

I appreciate all the info StratDragon but I have already upgraded my whole system to accomidate Daz so I really don't want to have to do it again to fix a bug on their end ya know?!

Post edited by Eamon on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Eamon said:
    Oh that's good you submitting a bug report. Perhaps I should do the same so the guys at Daz will look to fixing it?

What I doo when it happens and I don't want to restart, I move the mouse to the top of the finder window and click.

I appreciate all the info StratDragon but I have already upgraded my whole system to accomidate Daz so I really don't want to have to do it again to fix a bug on their end ya know?!

Rather than submitting another bug report, the idea once one is filed is to add a note to it.. Thanks

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Eamon said:

I'll try and see if I can reproduce this and add my finding to the report.

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

carrie58 said:
    sjhayes2 said:

When you say replaced your mouse did you get a totally different one or just a new one ,cause I'm having the same issue .....

Sorry this took so long, This thread hasn't come up for me again until today.

I got a totally different mouse.

• timnaastimnaas Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

I have the same issues as well and I'm on Windows7 64, so it's just not a MAC thing. It's been doing that to me since 4.0 release. Which tells me there is a bug some were and has carried over though to 4.6 release. It seem to happen to me when I go to rotate a scene and "poof" gone. I just do what was suggested above. Save and restart.

edited December 1969

My bug was closed as a duplicate but there seems to be very little interest from DAZ in taking a look at this. Current bug # is 0050437.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

marble said:
    My bug was closed as a duplicate but there seems to be very little interest from DAZ in taking a look at this. Current bug # is 0050437.
    Lots of interest, we just can't seem to hit the right combination to replicate it. If we can't replicate it, we can't trace it and find what is causing it.

Anyone have steps to reproduce to consistently arrive at this situation?

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,954
    edited December 1969

marble said:
    Lots of interest, we just can't seem to hit the right combination to replicate it. If we can't replicate it, we can't trace it and find what is causing it.

Well shoot if you had asked this question a month and a half ago I could have given you a step by step that would have worked ,now I have to try and remember what I was working on that was doing it ........which is no help at the moment ........fudge ........

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

I used to have the disappearing mouse cursor in Poser quite a bit. The problem is usually not enough virtual memory. Check your VM settings and see if upping the VM helps. Also make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card.

try those and see if they help.

edited December 1969

marble said:

I did describe that in the bug report, that's why I asked you to note the comments from the duplicate bugs. Load an item with lots of parameters - Sapphire Fox hair always does it for me. It doesn't happen immediately, you have to select a few parameters, adjust them and eventually the mouse pointer is gone.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

marble said:
    marble said:

I did describe that in the bug report, that's why I asked you to note the comments from the duplicate bugs. Load an item with lots of parameters - Sapphire Fox hair always does it for me. It doesn't happen immediately, you have to select a few parameters, adjust them and eventually the mouse pointer is gone.

that sounds exactly like the problem i used to have in Poser, increasing your VM settings should fix it

edited December 1969

I used to have the disappearing mouse cursor in Poser quite a bit. The problem is usually not enough virtual memory. Check your VM settings and see if upping the VM helps. Also make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card.

try those and see if they help.

I have an iMac with 24GB of RAM - if I understand VM, it is required when the computer is short of RAM. I am talking about a simple scene with two characters, some clothing and hair. No swapping going on as far as I can see.

edited December 1969

marble said:
    marble said:

I did describe that in the bug report, that's why I asked you to note the comments from the duplicate bugs. Load an item with lots of parameters - Sapphire Fox hair always does it for me. It doesn't happen immediately, you have to select a few parameters, adjust them and eventually the mouse pointer is gone. We tried that on a couple of systems. Windows 7, Mac OS 10.7 and 10.8. No luck.

Were you running anything else at the time? Last time we had a bug like this, which messed up the cursor, it turned out to be a flash bug. (Carrara had the issue)

edited December 1969

marble said:
    marble said:

I did describe that in the bug report, that's why I asked you to note the comments from the duplicate bugs. Load an item with lots of parameters - Sapphire Fox hair always does it for me. It doesn't happen immediately, you have to select a few parameters, adjust them and eventually the mouse pointer is gone. We tried that on a couple of systems. Windows 7, Mac OS 10.7 and 10.8. No luck.

Were you running anything else at the time? Last time we had a bug like this, which messed up the cursor, it turned out to be a flash bug. (Carrara had the issue)

I might have had a browser open but I don't make habit of running many programs at the same time. Unlikely that I had any flash running, though.

Just to further respond to the VM suggestion, here is a screen shot from my activity monitor with DAZ Studio loaded with Aiko and Sapphire Fox Hair...

Screen_Shot_2013-07-10_at_17.06_.03_.png
    575 x 161 - 27K
    edited July 2013

Having said all of the above, I'm adjusting Sapphire Fox params like crazy at the moment and the pointer is behaving nicely - Murphy's law. Ah well, if it does reappear, I'll try to make a note of anything that might be significant.

Post edited by marble on
    edited December 1969

marble said:
    Having said all of the above, I'm adjusting Sapphire Fox params like crazy at the moment and the pointer is behaving nicely - Murphy's law. Ah well, if it does reappear, I'll try to make a note of anything that might be significant.

We have no doubt it does happen, we just can't get it to happen here.

• iSeeThisiSeeThis Posts: 552

It still is a problem in 4.12 version. I think I've got a correct answer for this. Just mouse over any button (by dragging mouse pointer randomly) and yellow highlight will show when the pointer is over any button. Click it and the pointer is back.

• Yep, I have 4.12 and my Mouse Cursor keeps disappearing. It occurs to me when I use the movement icons in the viewport. If, when I am horvering over the icon, I clicklk both mouse buttons at the same tim...blam!!! Ther goes my cursor. I did not mean to Necro this thread, but I saw a current post and thought I would put my two cents in.

Thanks for letting me rant. It is a minor issue in an other wise amazing piece of software.

• Re:  Disappearing cursor/mouse

PROBLEM:
    As Valiant_01 indicated, the problem is reproducible:   I'm running Daz Studio 4.12 on a Windows 10 system.  To make the mouse cursor disappear:  IF I hold down both the left and right mouse buttons at the same time (easy to do accidentally), while using the magnifying glass (or other movement buttons) in the main viewport, the cursor will disappear.

EASY WORKAROUND:
    As iSeeThis noted, sometimes you can restore the pointer by selecting a highlighted button (such as the arrow button) at the top of the screen.  However, I've found that this usually does NOT work on my system.    For me, a much more reliable solution is to move the invisible cursor into the Aux Viewport. (The cursor highlights things as it passes over them.)   With the pulldown camera menu highlighted, change or reselect a camera.  The embedded code resets the mouse cursor.   Once in a while you need to select a different camera.

(In case it is relevant, note that I always create a camera when I start a scene, and use that camera, so that Daz will save my camera view when I save the scene.) 

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,766

It's pretty amazing that this stupid bug still hasn't been fixed after all these years and who knows how many builds, but at this point I'd say it's clear that no one at DAZ thinks it's an issue worth the time and trouble of fixing.  

•  

marble said:

I think it has to do with hitting both mouse buttons at the same time. or so I had heard on another thread.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743
    edited April 2020
    Cybersox said:

It's pretty amazing that this stupid bug still hasn't been fixed after all these years and who knows how many builds, but at this point I'd say it's clear that no one at DAZ thinks it's an issue worth the time and trouble of fixing.  

Since so many (including myself) have the problem it must be possible for them to find a PC that also has it, and then try to track it down there.  Or they could make a survey where people having the problem could report their hardware/software/driver specs, that might give a clue about what is causing it. 

Post edited by Taoz on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,314

This happened to me today, although it is the first time I have suffered it for a few months now. I was using the camera movement controls, and I may have accidently pressed both buttons. 

I clicked on the save button, but this did not bring it back. I didn't try the camera workaround.