A search engine in Daz to find its stuff.

Yep. A search and promt system for finding ALL its content.

Missing texture? How about a self-contained hunt for it? 

Pick the source folder and start upwards from there.

Ask me where and then do a windows-type search...

OR

The ability to the opposite and search sub-folders, so we can point to the topmost directory and let Daz search through the rest.

And like iTunes and Adobe, once you find ONE, you know you were warm and you can find the rest on your own.

Then ask me if I want to LINK the files.

------------------

An extension of a search window or filter for the massive list that opens when you attempt to "parent to..." an item.
A small window that it I typed "h" would bring up hands, head, hips etc of all the possible choices...

As a routine thing, to parent to heads and hands, there could be options in the drop-down menu for those two commonly used targets, under the Parent To choice.

Comments

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Another "simple" but large improvement to the DS search engine would be to enable it to search folder names. Many, if not most, PAs don't include their product name in the files within their subfolders, so it can be difficult to find a product whose precise name you have forgotten but can recall part of the name or the PAs name. This seems even worse for third party content. You'd be surprised how many hair textures are called "Blonde01".

My current work around is to copy one of the products files (eg a texture application icon or a prop/figure icon along with it's png file) and rename it something like "PA name's XYZ hair is here" Then if I search for the PA name or XYZ I can find that extra file and right click the icon and select Show Asset In: Mapped Folder. This will then take me to the relevent folder where I can find the rest of the files. Strangely this trick only seems to work if the icon has been found by the search engine; if you simple right click a random product item then Show Asset In:Mapped folder is not available. Go figure!

Anyway, I think all this jiggery pokery should not be necessary: the DS search engine needs upgrading.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

They will tell you that under the Category Search area there is INFO TIPS and...I can't remember the third......

But somewhere in there should be the way of searching by vendor name.

It's a bit of a pain, as you say, wish there were better keyword searches...

• I'm not sure if the vendor name is included in the metadata, which is what Connect and Smart Content use.

• The Tags generally seem to include the vendor name.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

The Tags generally seem to include the vendor name.

Hi Richard, could you give an example of how to use the search engine to find a product for which you only know the PA name (or part thereof) or product name (or part therof) and where neither the PA name or product name is in the file names (which mostly the case in my experience)?

• The simplest way is to find a product you own by that PA and click the PAs name in the Tags tab

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,900
    edited March 2018

IMHO the best way to find stuff is torecreate library system to use a single folder for each product. Expansions (like third party textures sets or similar) should look for those folders and use them.
    Something like this: Runtime->Clothes->AUTHORShortpants->Texures, data, OBJs, ect...
    And every "main" thing ordered in the SmartTab like it is now!

More easy to keep track of ALL the content for each product... and less messy libraries!

Post edited by Imago on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566
    Imago said:

IMHO the best way to find stuff is torecreate library system to use a single folder for each product. Expansions (like third party textures sets or similar) should look for those folders and use them.
    Something like this: Runtime->Clothes->AUTHORShortpants->Texures, data, OBJs, ect...

More easy to keep track of ALL the content for each product... and less messy libraries!

IMHO best way to find stuff is to install it yourself so you know where to look for it, LOL wink

• Imago said:

IMHO best way to find stuff is to install it yourself so you know where to look for it, LOL wink

I think they're talking about within Daz Studio...