How do you deal with 3rd parties who want to see proof that you payed the fee for licensed 3d models

2»

Comments

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,353
    edited November 2013

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    That was mentioned by Richard previously, and as he stated... the only known example of that sort (for clarification.)

Here's another with a bit of complication tossed in: Buccaneer for Genesis.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Gedd said:
    That was mentioned by Richard previously, and as he stated... the only known example of that sort (for clarification.)

Well that's a product I'm not going to be buying anytime soon. Now I'll have to make a note to check the wiki for every other one of the vendor's textures to see if this is the only one or if all of them have it. This is the type of information that should be clearly listed on the product page so those of us who need to consider the ramifications of such things.

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    Skiriki said:
    Gedd said:

Well that's a product I'm not going to be buying anytime soon. Now I'll have to make a note to check the wiki for every other one of the vendor's textures to see if this is the only one or if all of them have it. This is the type of information that should be clearly listed on the product page so those of us who need to consider the ramifications of such things.

I agree with this statement. I need to go back and check all the products I bought and check the future ones as well. And why buy a product if you can not use the textures created with it?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,565
    edited December 1969

The outfit that had a no commercial use restriction was in the old free Archive, not in the store. That area hosted several non-DAZ freebies (Questor's weapon sets, for example) that had their own EULAs. The only store product that has a more restrictive EULA than the usual DAZ version, as far as I am aware, is the Ann Marie Goddard Digital Clone for V3 (if it's still in the store); there are also a few merchant-resource sets that have less restrictive EULAs with respect to redistribution in modified form.

Thanks Richard. I was worried. I don't usually look for usage policies for daz items, and was wondering if I needed to start doing so. That would be tiresome =-)

edited June 2013

Skiriki said:
    Gedd said:

Thanks for pointing that out. guess I'll uninstall that product. I don't want any item I cannot use commercially in my runtime. =-/

This should be made very clear on the page commercial use of textures NOT OKAY.

I don't think customers should have to research every product bought at daz. Especially when there aren't always readme's.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2013

That is not how I read the CG textures commercial license. I see it as not being able to distribute the actual textures, not images that include textures which have been made with CG textures resources. And I did investigate this before I, amongst many others I am sure, started using CG textures as a texture resource.

I have used the textures on a 3D model/scene. Am I allowed to sell the model/scene and textures as a bundle?
    Yes, under the following condition: You have customized the textures for the 3D-model or scene, and you are selling the model and texture in one package. Please add the following text in the documentation accompanying the model:

"One or more textures on this 3D-model have been created with images from CGTextures.com. These images may not be redistributed by default. Please visit www.cgtextures.com for more information."

Automatically if you have used the texture resource (which is what they are meaning by image in this case) as part of the texture for a model you have customised it.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

I have to say that CGTexture's license is confusing at times, and that text doesn't really help. :/ I just know that it did make me wonder about WTH I can do with them.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    That is not how I read the CG textures commercial license. I see it as not being able to distribute the actual textures, not images that include textures which have been made with CG textures resources. And I did investigate this before I, amongst many others I am sure, started using CG textures as a texture resource.

Since the DAZ EULA does not permit the redistribution of textures the only reason for adding the extra qualifier means raises a red flag. A red flag I don't have time to deal with but will have to.

Maybe it's not a problem and maybe it is. I don't even have to call down to Legal to know what they will tell me. Err on the side of caution and get it out of the catalog. Then double check every other product by the same vendor.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,415
    edited June 2013

Purchasers at the DAZ store never acquire the right to redistribute the textures or the models themselves included in a DAZ product, they acquire the right to 2D render or 2D animate the product for commercial purposes. The finished 2D artistic output is what you have rights to. All that CGTextures readme notation does is gives all customers/users the heads up that though you can use the DAZ products for renders and animation in commercial uses, if you try to redistribute the actual textures illegally, you'll be dealing with both DAZ and another company entity that will perhaps take legal action against you. Proper commercial use.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
    edited June 2013

Please read the edits I have made to my post, including quoting a part of CG textures own FAQs regarding just this exact matter.

What is causing the problem here is CG textures use of the word "image" for a texture resource. If you read their complete license you will see they use the word image to describe the textures offered on their site.

There is no ambiguity at all apart from this usage of the word image, which is not the same way we as 3d artists use the word..

Basically all CG textures are saying is the they want people to give them credit for using their collection of textures, and to state that unmodified textures cannot be re-distributed.

The logical place to give the credit is on the readme page. And as FB says, it is simply a reinforcement to the DAZ 3D EULA , but does not change it.

edited December 1969

I don't understand that really. I wish the usage rights were in layman's terms. What can a user use these items for is all I really want to know. Can I make a render and sell it commercially? Can that simply be said in the product readme?

For me, I'll just avoid products with extra strings attached that refer me to outside companies. I don't want to research products or read some other companies terms of use before I buy.

Who knows when they'll change their usage terms, or whether I'll miss something.

edited December 1969

All right, thanks for helping with that, Chohole. Sorry to bring it up out of blue, but I had been puzzled by that thing for a while.

edited June 2013

I don't understand that really. I wish the usage rights were in layman's terms. What can a user use these items for is all I really want to know. Can I make a render and sell it commercially? Can that simply be said in the product readme?

For me, I'll just avoid products with extra strings attached that refer me to outside companies. I don't want to research products or read some other companies terms of use before I buy.

Who knows when they'll change their usage terms, or whether I'll miss something.

Yes, CG textures bit is not changing the DAZ 3D EULA. so selling a render is no problem, you do not need to worry about that.

All CG textures are asking is that people who use the actual textures (which they call images for some strange reason) when creating their own product do give the credit, which this vendor has done in their readme.

People are making a whole load of fuss about nothing here.

The only thing that is confusing things is CG textures using the word "image" rahter than "texture", although they actually call their site CG textures.

Use of the Textures is only allowed under the following conditions:
    - Private or commercial use
    - Use in 2D or 3D computer graphics, movies and printed media
    - Incorporation in computer games, 3D models
    - Selling 3D models bundled with modified versions of the textures, when the texture is customized for the 3D model

and use the word texture in all other parts of their license.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439
    edited June 2013

We've been in direct contact with them and they are able to be used commercially. Most the PA's in this industry use that site for their textures.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

Okay thanks Chohole and Frank. very helpful.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,606
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

I have used the textures on a 3D model/scene. Am I allowed to sell the model/scene and textures as a bundle?
    Yes, under the following condition: You have customized the textures for the 3D-model or scene, and you are selling the model and texture in one package. Please add the following text in the documentation accompanying the model:

"One or more textures on this 3D-model have been created with images from CGTextures.com. These images may not be redistributed by default. Please visit www.cgtextures.com for more information."

Automatically if you have used the texture resource (which is what they are meaning by image in this case) as part of the texture for a model you have customised it.
    ...took a look at CG Textures and read the agreement. Seems rather straightforward to me. Site is now Bookmarked.

edited December 1969

Yes, it is a very useful site, I use it quite a lot, both for resources for my free textures and also for things that I don't distribute.

The membership, which is not expensive, gives one even better size textures and is very much worthwhile for anyone doing a lot of texturing.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,606
    edited December 1969

...As I have been getting more and more into texturing, I'll look into the membership. Going to install (and try to register) PSP X4 on the Workstation tonight.

I have to thank PA's like Marieah, DZ Fire, and AgeOfArmour as well as yourself for instilling the interest to pursue this further.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

I usually just keep a spreadsheet that indicates the following:

name of the product

sku of the product

order number (if it was a free download from ShaeCG, etc. that is indicated)

cost (I only indicate the cost of any models I had to buy just for the project I had.)

What the EULA is for the product is indicated. (Usually a note like standard DAZ, or what the read me for iticates.)

I also indicate if I had to buy or use anything else for the project and what the details were. (software, plugins, bushes, textures for texturing and custom material work, etc.)

I also make a copy of any EULAs and include that. (so I'll have the standard DAZ one, and any others.)

I have seen some individuals make 2D renders for video games and not even indicate that they were using DAZ, RDNA, ShrareCG, etc. models to the people they were selling the renders too and claim intellectual property for render that were just things like a chair loaded up and rendered in studio with no post work. The individual I thinking of also seemed to think all DAZ EULAs were the same too.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,353
    edited November 2013

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • PenguinistoPenguinisto Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

I recently was asked by a cooperation that I should submit proof that I payed the fee for the DAZ3D models I used in a project.

How do you deal with requests like that?

Let's cut this down a bit...

First, you bent way over backwards for these guys. Best practice?

1) If you are entering into a business relationship with this company, then you also continue to #2 (below). If it is a demand on suspicion of piracy, then demand and wait for a certified letter on corporate letterhead. Otherwise, you don't have to give them jack.

2) Make a list of the stuff you used, but keep it to yourself for now.

3) Signed a notarized statement which you give to the company that includes only the following:
    - A statement affirming that there are no copyright violations or copyright-violating stuff used in the artwork
    - The vendor store rep contact info for every store I bought stuff from in the artwork they are showing interest in.

4) Send that to them via certified mail.

...and that's it.

Seriously? Either the company rep is an idiot, has no idea what he/she is doing, or they're trying to shake you down for something.

I recall once having some dummy who emailed me claiming to be a lawyer for a certain vendor (whom I knew personally), demanding payment for my "pirated" content. I replied, telling him to either send a certified demand by mail, or else f$#k off. I heard nothing from that character ever since, and this was years ago.

I used to have a super-anal copyright FAQ posted back when Poserpros was still around... it was far too complete, but I'll be damned if I can locate it now. :/

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,040
    edited June 2013

I've only read the original post, not the comments that follow.

If a company is going to publicly broadcast, post, distribute, or publish something, they want documented evidence that ALL content is paid for and licensed by the party submitting the art/product/film/video/photograph/whatever.

In the film and television industry, they have lawyers that go over ALL content and clear it. They also buy liability insurance just in case something not licensed slips through unnoticed, or in case the content creator/owner sues them anyway. Hollywood motion picture studios have thousands of lawsuits every year from people/companies claiming their content was used and they weren't compensated properly.

The demands for evidence varies between companies, some require original signed documents and receipts, some only ask for photocopies, some, for digital copies.

A film I produced and directed was a selection in the Cannes Film Festival. They wanted a document signed by me that stated that all the content in the film was properly licensed, paid for, cleared etc. - everything - every piece of music, every sound effect, the fonts used to create the title and credits, the art that appears in the film, model releases, actors contracts, location releases, crew contracts etc.

Why - because no matter what a company produces, whether it's Harry Potter or Star Wars, there will be people who will sue them to grab some of the profits.

And if a movie/tv show/publcation does somehow use something not licensed, a judge can order that the movie or whatever is not to be shown - even if it's a Batman movie that cost $200 million to produce.

Post edited by Fauvist on
    edited June 2013

If I buy a product, I don't feel I need to credit the PA for the use of it.. I don't this is unacceptable in anyway. just as I pay for the use of clipart and photos. What I do not do, is pretend I made the item in question. I make renders using other peoples stuff. . but I do not feel the need to disclose the detail. Unless I sell it when proof is required.

I never hide the fact that I use storebought content, just as I don't hide the fact I use clipart, purchased photos and fonts. And usually I am open to questions about what content I used in this and that render, and where did it come from. I will freely tell them that is 'v5 ponytail' or 'Victoria 6' or a lovely alien by Dariofish.

Most of the readmes I have read simply the PA wants the user not to say they made the item and license me for the use of same item for renders. I never claim to make models, backdrops, or textures. I simply do not announce or disclose anything unless asked or I want to credit the PA for a particularly nice piece of work.

Edited to add: if a pa ads unusual conditions to the terms of use of an item, or it is vague or unclear, then I will simply not use it and most likely will avoid products from them in the future unless the situation is clarified in the readme.

I am trying to phase out all free content from my runtime, or items with vague usage rights. My recent experience has taught me, it is not worth keeping items that are not commercial use, with no strings attached and whose rights for use are crystal clear. I just don't have time to remember it all. =-)

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,040
    edited December 1969

I am trying to phase out all free content from my runtime, or items with vague usage rights. My recent experience has taught me, it is not worth keeping items that are not commercial use, with no strings attached and whose rights for use are crystal clear. I just don't have time to remember it all. =-)

I absolutely agree. If I was a hobbiest, and was never going to sell anything, then I'd use free or vaguely licensed content. But I do sell things using licensed 3D content - so free or "strings attached" conent is of no use to me, and I don't ever download it, it's too risky that I would inadvertently include it in a render.

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Fauvist said:

I absolutely agree. If I was a hobbiest, and was never going to sell anything, then I'd use free or vaguely licensed content. But I do sell things using licensed 3D content - so free or "strings attached" conent is of no use to me, and I don't ever download it, it's too risky that I would inadvertently include it in a render.

I have a separate runtime with a couple of "fan art" items in it, just for fun, but in my main content collection, I only include content that explicitly states that commercial renders are ok and royalty-free, and don't require special credit to use. If I see an item that I'd like to use, I contact the creator and ask for permission, and save the reply. Most creators I've contacted have promptly replied granting permission.

I don't credit individual content creators in most images, because there would be too many to track in any reasonable way. My main projects are a manga and a card game. I could keep a running list of all the content used in the manga or the game, but I doubt anyone would ever look at it, and it would be impossible to match up content with individual panels or cards.

However, the bug/feature request I wrote would make it much easier to go back and recreate a particular character or scene, even if all I have to work from is a render file, and if I suddenly had to show proof that some item was a commercially sold item rather than a similar looking limited-use freebie, it would be simple to do so. And people who see my work online and have the ever-popular question "what hair is that?" could answer that question for themselves. ;)