Morphs applied to figure and then posed produce some ugly effects.. IMHO!

2»

Comments

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Heard back from the DAZ guys:

It appears you have the skin binding set to optimized while you are
    manipulating the figure,Tool Settings pane while having the
    translation/rotation/scale/universal tool selected, as well as subdivision
    set to delayed. What this means is it will apply a faster calculating
    general weight map to the figure while it is being manipulated which does
    not have bulges as part of the calculation. That is why you see the
    deformation after letting go of the mouse.

OK, so please, if you would, explain this to me a bit more.

Skin binding set to optimized

Does that mean I had the figure NOT set at the base resolution or something else??

Yes, that's makes perfect sense...it's a display port optimization. The Skin Binding I believe is the way the mesh is attached to the bones.

I have seen that parameter somewhere...but for the life of me I can't remember where :shut: :red:

I'm at work right now so I can't look >:( and I won't be off for another 9 hours...BLAH!

As far as JCM's there is a tutorial at ShareCG (sorry I don't have a link ATM) and the Doc Center has been Updated with new pages including pages on JCM's

Well I hope that since the DAZ team is looking at your Bruno that maybe they can give you the input and feedback you need to get him on his way into everyones runtimes :cheese:

• JackFosterJackFoster Posts: 143
    edited December 1969

JCMs are joint controlled morphs, which just means that the morphs apply whenever a certain joint is bent. ERC stands for enhanced remote control, which is a more general term, I think, for when morphs are controlled by something other than just their own property setting. I believe that a JCM is just another type of ERC. Anyway, as for how to do it, I can only link to another thread in which someone was asking the same thing. Hopefully it will be helpful for you.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited June 2012

Thanks folks. I appreciate the clarification on these terms and what not... seems the issue with the morphs being applied upon Genesis loading is not done yet. I just updated another morph from my 9 morphs to be released RAMSOON :P and when I got it all set up guess what? Cleared the scene, loaded up Genesis and the new morph is auto applied! Looked in the data folder and sure enough!

"channel" : {
    "id" : "value",
    "type" : "float",
    "name" : "Value",
    "label" : "Bruno-Dumpy-02b",
    "auto_follow" : true,
    "value" : 0,
    "current_value" : 1,
    "min" : 0,
    "max" : 1,
    "clamped" : true,
    "display_as_percent" : true,
    "step_size" : 0.01

See the "current_value" line with the 1? yea, that's not supposed to be there. That line started appearing on EVERY newly saved out morph since I clicked on "Save Modified Assets" option. EVERY ONE OF THEM. I wrote to support team and related that the issue is NOT gone and asked what to do now. There MUST be an option that I can go in and turn off, even if it means editing a line in one of the files in the AppData>Roaming>DAZ 3D>Studio 4 folder. Most are in text format. So.... WEIRD!

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Hi,

Actually the developers helped me understand why the Genesis figure was being loaded up with all the morphs applied at 100%. When I clicked on that "Save Modified Assets" it wrote in all 9 of my dsf files an extra line and added a "1" to it, meaning when a new aspect of Genesis was loaded to the scene it auto dialed up FBM of each of the 9 morphs hence the mess you saw on the previous page. So in a text editor I went through and removed the offending line with it's added "1" and saved each out. Genesis loads up fine now.

If you look in the Property Editor, any morphs that have a little * next to them will save when you use the Save Modified Assets option. I don't think it gives you any choices for selecting which morphs you want. (again I'm at work ATM :shut: ) sorry, I forget to mention that before :red:

Just wish there was just an easy of a fix for the Arms Up/Down issue. They told me the same thing.. make ERC's for these movements but I don't have a clue as to how to do that. They sent me to a page where it shows me how to create CJM's but I don't think that's the same thing.

ERC is the term used for the different types of controls, ie: JCM, MCM and so on. There really is no 'easy way' but it does mean making morphs for each joint pose that needs to be fixed. For the Arms Up/Down, you would need to create two morphs, one for each arm in the Up position, and then slave them to the Arms Up/Down controller and to your Bruno morph. That way they only apply if Bruno is dialed in and you raise his arms.

I wish I had the time to explain it better, but I have to go and crack the whip on the people in my dept. :coolgrin:

And of course the two folks here that mentioned I should make those and my response was I don't know how and i get ignored when I ask about HOW to make them are... well are now seemingly ignoring me!! :coolmad:.... Just makes me laugh!

I hope you didn't mean me? :red: If so I didn't mean to ignore you... I'm allway's willing to help someone when I can :)
    just let me know

Back to work now... >:(

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,046
    edited December 1969

Ramwolf read my thread. It will help. Download the tutorial:)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2142/

edited June 2012

Thanks... I'll look it over. Frustration makes my mind do weird things like assume. I know everyone here has good intentions, even DAZ but seems like allot of extra work to go through when there should be a bulge maps switch to turn the blasted things off for certain poses.

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to get this very good arms up with my own created morphs to kick in created. This is whole pose is not using any of the DAZ premade "Pose Controls" just using the Transform dials. Had to set the Shoulder limits up to .55 to get the proper bow to the arms since they are limited to .75.... It's STILL not perfect but, to me, it's a bit better than the prepackaged ones that is provided in the Pose Controls in my humble opinion.

ArmsUp-MorphsPanel.jpg
    790 x 773 - 151K
    edited June 2012

Do this exercise. Load up genesis with just basic male shape.Put him in exact pose as you posted above. Then, slowly dial up M5 and dial down. Look what the mesh is doing. Look how it moves the chest in to solve that issue. Simply mimic that shift in Zbrush and problem solved:)

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,175
    edited December 1969

Export posed and morphed figure to ZBrush, as OBJ or via GoZ - just one arm raised, though, not both.

Modify mesh to correct deformation.

Send back to DS as a new morph - if using Morph Loader Pro, check Reverse Deformations so that your morph is just the changes to fix the issue (if you use GoZ this is done implicitly).

Clear al morphs, then set the fix morph to 1. In the Property Editor option menu select Freeze ERC and make the morph the property that is controlled by the pose rather than vice versa.

In Property Editor drag the Bruno morph into the Controllers list for the fix morph, and set the ERC type to Multiply.

Repeat for the other arm.

edited June 2012

I think in the past I accidentally sent a figure posed to ZBrush (just enough so I didn't see it right away) and when I sent it back it was a mess when I tried morphing Genesis, had to start over. So not sure about the process you described, As I say, I'm a visual learner. Reading that seems OK but my mind is remembering the mess I made with a pre posed figure

To help me understand this process better why does one need to send a figure in default and the other posed (one arm only, got that) to ZBrush?? I think there was some discussion in the other forums about this for C4D when I was considering getting that and this sort of technique was brought up. Confused me then, confuses me now!

I already have fix morphs, LOTS of them. If there was a way to slave those 5 morphs to an "Up Arm" dial and make it kick in as the arm is raised that would be the solution I would prefer to play with. If only to learn. Just confusing to me is all. If there was a vid I'd watch it 10 times and "get it" but ... probably why I wasn't a good student in school. I knew the stuff but because most of it was text my brain just didn't get it right away.

Sorry for being a PITA! :sick:

edited December 1969

Argh.... I'm still at work :blank:

I don't have ZBrush so I don't know the import export process for that ...sorry :down:

To help me understand this process better why does one need to send a figure in default and the other posed (one arm only, got that) to ZBrush??

The default pose is for making your original morph...the posed ones are for making your fixes to the poses....in other words, with Bruno dialed in you raise one arm up to the position you want and then export....fix any deformities to the mesh from the arm being raised and then send that back to studio as your morph target. This is were the ERC and Reverse Deformation comes in so that you can make a control that applies the morph when you raise the arm.

I know that is kind of vague on details but explains the why , I hope... :)

Here is a link to rbtwhiz youtube page of tutorials https://www.youtube.com/user/rbtwhiz

They are old, from DS3, but the process is pretty much the same in DS4. You want to scroll down to the ones on the Property Editor and Reverse Deformations tutorials

I used these videos when I was trying to understand ERC along with lots of reading. :P

I hope this helps... :)

edited December 1969

Thanks so much. Don't work so hard! OMG! :bug:

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Thanks so much. Don't work so hard! OMG! :bug:

Your very welcome, I hope it helps... :-)

I just got home about 20 mins ago...long days the norm for me...the down side to being a manager of 3 departments... :blank:

anyways, I hope you can get your morphs working the way you need them to, if you need help...well you know what to do ;-P :lol:

edited December 1969

Sleep well. Thanks again. I'll holler if I need ya! THANKS! :P

edited June 2012

For those Who want to know how to create independant mirror morphs in ZBRUSH, I have devised a method after weeks of struggling. This is ONLY if you want left and right morphs seperate instead of both on at the same time. EG left arm morph only and right arm morph only instead of both.

In Zbrush, Before you start creating any morphs, apon import or post editing, ALWAYS UNCHECK SMT (subdivide smooth modifier) before working on Genesis mesh, or your morph will smooth out the entire body when dialed up. Don't believe me? Zoom on the hand in Daz and dial up your morph and watch what happens. Mec4d showed me this:)

1. Open mesh -EG Genesis -> to edit seperate body parts and hide others, go to Polygroups tab, and click Auto Groups With UV. No need if you are doing a full body morph.
    2. Mask left Half side of Mesh or body part
    3. Go to Morph target and go ->Store
    4. De-select mask, make morph on left side -> re-mask left side when done creating morph
    5. Export.

Now we have a left side morph. Now to create a right side:)

6. Go Deformation -> Smart Resum. now we have the morph on both sides. Not what we want. So to reset the left side to default...
    7. Mask right half -> Then go to Morph target and dial morph slider all the way up- Now the left side is back to normal and the right side has the morph.

8. Export.

Now we have to morphs identical on both sides that can be dialed seperately:)

I use MODO as import settings in Daz. For some reason it just works without blowing up Genesis or messing up the scaling.

Post edited by Zev0 on