Gimp plugin

bshugs@hotmail.com[email protected] Posts: 175
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

Following on a thread in the New Users section ( http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18806/ ) has any given any thought to a Gimp Bridge, similar to the Photoshop Bridge that DAZ offers for free? Gimp is powerful enough for most DAZ Studio uses, and (like DAZ Studio) is free. I figure that if someone could get it to work, they could probably charge a modest fee - in line with Garibaldi and other hi-end plugins - and still get decent traffic.

Just puttin' it out there. :P

Comments

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited May 2013
    ruined-bridge-large[1].jpg
    350 x 455 - 57K
    Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • bshugs@hotmail.com[email protected] Posts: 175
    edited December 1969

Hmm... Not quite what I was describing. :)

edited May 2013

Seriously, does GIMP even support 3d objects (import obj) like Photoshop and ZBrush GOZ do? I thought it was a 2 d painting program only? I use both the GOZ and Photoshop bridges from DAZ. I am pretty certain these applications are able to paint via 2d projection of the 3d image in their own program - sent by the DAZ interface plugin. If you want to do 2D post work, I think its just as easy just edit the TIF and GMP output by associating the filetype to GIMP. There is really no bi-directional interchange needed.

Off topic but may be of interest, have you seen this cool app: http://www.daz3d.com/pd-pro-7-howler-powered-by-project-dogwaffle No experience with it but looks interesting. The output looks incredible.

• bshugs@hotmail.com[email protected] Posts: 175
    edited December 1969

'Pollogies for my ignorance regarding the nature of the Photoshop/Daz bridge. Photoshop is priced well out of my hobbiest range, and I wasn't aware that it imported the 3D objects and did 3D painting. I though it mainly streamlined the transfer of renders and maps.

What I'm looking for is something to make maps easier to manipulate. Right now when I need to change a texture map, I make my changes in Gimp to the file, export it and refresh the image in Daz. Something that would be more akin to the Hexagon/Daz bridge where image files could be swapped back and forth between programs. This would streamline the process a lot.
    Somthing with theses features:

Launch DAZ Studio from Gimp and vice versa
    View 3D scenes as Gimp layers
    Render Directly into Gimp
    Import and export image maps onto 3D models in Gimp

edited May 2013

When you retouch a texture, If I understand you are referring to editing a flattened 3d texture map (of a figure) hopint to reapply it to to the figure. It can be done if you just overright the existing image name, however I would not recommend that. Its better to switch the referenced file-name in the figure. Either way automation adds little since its uni directional (injecting a new map).
    With respect to the 4 bullets, Other than the first, these can not possibly be accomplished in GIMP since it does not posses the capability to import the 3d scene objects, no render them. You could make it so that DAZ exports scenes as image layers - but for what purpose. If scenes had multiple layers in DAZ like they do in E-ON Vue it could offer some benefit. Or if your talking about exporting the alpha, depth and color channels as independent layers...

- Launch DAZ Studio from Gimp and vice versa.
    - View 3D scenes as Gimp layers
    - Render Directly into Gimp (HOW ???)
    - Import and export image maps onto 3D models in Gimp

I guess I just do not see GIMP taking the place of either PS nor ZB. Have you checked out "RealityPaint 3d" - its quite affordable and does much of what I THINK you want to accomplish, easily. Especially helpful is the PER-PIXEL mesh painting capability where you paint in 3d on the surface without worrying about mesh density and the mesh does not even need to me equalized to get good results. See realitypaint.com

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited May 2013

While Gimp does not support 3D, the possibility of transferring the textures from the surface tab as well as rendering into gimp as a layer, is completely possible. Someone just needs to learn both the Daz SDK as well as the language Gimp plugins are produced in. You would be able to do everything in a Daz<->Gimp bridge that you could with the non Extended version of Photoshop. Everything would transfer minus the 3D mesh/model itself.

The bridges are more for ease of use and transferring. Yes, you can manually open/save each file one by one and send it back to your textures folder, but it's much simpler to load and send everything all at once via the bridge without ever having to touch your computer's browser.

*note: I'm a PS Extended user, not a Gimp user. I'm just an advocate of everybody having access to the same simple workflow.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The makers of GIMP would have to get with DAZ and then both come to terms and then most of the coding would need to be the GIMP side I believe.

edited May 2013

I still fail to recognize the value of developing the interface when an explorer window of the RT directory can be used as the file exchange by using drag and drop.
    What is the added value with a direct interface to GIMP that is not achieved by drag and drop?
    The main advantage of interfaces to modeling systems like GO-Z is to facilitate morphs by leaving open vertices in the morph target to allow reattachment to the source file in DAZ. This is not needed if just 2D files are being exchanged (texture tweak) or just outputted to GIMP for post work (not to return to DAZ) .

Interfaces must be updated and maintained. It seems like overkill for no advantage. Then there is all the 2d painting apps out there including MS Paint, Paint Shop Pro, Corel, Project Dogwaffle et al.

edited May 2013

Jaderail said:
    The makers of GIMP would have to get with DAZ and then both come to terms and then most of the coding would need to be the GIMP side I believe.

Gimp is completely open-source, anybody can create plugins for it.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Jaderail said:

Gimp is completely open-source, anybody can create plugins for it.Sort of Hard to get Daz to open a Business plan with a AnyBody don't ya think? Naw.. So someone do it. Get the SDK and Gimp Source and do it.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Vaskania said:
    Jaderail said:

Gimp is completely open-source, anybody can create plugins for it.

Sort of Hard to get Daz to open a Business plan with a AnyBody don't ya think? Naw.. So someone do it. Get the SDK and Gimp Source and do it.

That"s kind of the point. If it's going to be done, it's going to have to be a 3rd party.

edited December 1969

So ya, no commercial viability and it offers little advantage than what can be accomplished already. I could code it, you could code it - but why spend the time?
    It wouldn't save much time and there is no additional benefit.

DAZ SDK's - http://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-4-5-sdk

GIMP Development Resources - http://developer.gimp.org/

yawn

edited December 1969

Sort of my point from the start. WHY?

• edited May 2013

I still fail to recognize the value of developing the interface when an explorer window of the RT directory can be used as the file exchange by using drag and drop.
    You load your 2D image in Photoshop / GIMP. You do the Object you want to add into you 2D image in DAZ4.x you get a preview look how it fit's in. If it does not fit in perfectly, you slightly change the camera, etc. in DAZ studio. If it looks good, you render it into a layer. Tadaa! Drag and drop and export and import slows this process done by an order of magnitude. Been there. Done that.

I would realy appreciate a DAZstudio -> Gimp bridge that works under linux, too.

From a DAZ standpoint: more users could use your product. users would have to spend less money (imagine all the content one could buy if you only spend half the money saved on photoshop for downloads here...).

Post edited by theork_6a0f9e05b0 on