HU on a little mat zone issue

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Have been bravely modeling with the latest edition ... saving more often than ever lol ..

Okay ... if one has a kazillion Shading Domains/mat zones which over the course of the project get replaced and so forth ... it used to be that one could export out the finished .obj file, import it into D/S and make the figure. Except for maybe one or two "just in case" calls for default or something, all the rest of the unused mats were NOT a part of the .obj.

At least D/S3 didn't read them.

Now with the latest Hexagon, D/S still doesn't read the unnecessary materials. [which I think is great]
However D/S4.0 lists them ALL. :-( eeekkk ....

Didn't brave the file to 4.5 to see what it would do ... cleaned it up in Hexagon and it works as should now in 3 and 4.0.

So I'd like to repeat to whoever might ever consider updating this lovely program [and I sincerely hope it does get upgraded] to make some kind of a "multi-choice" selection for 1 action, like "delete". One by one is NOT fun.

When I checked the exported from Hexagon .obj back imported back into Hexagon [so it should have shown me a clean .obj file as the previous edition did], it showed that it had saved out the Shading Domains and EVERY shading domain had a 'ghost', empty material shading domain also on its group.

one_panel_missed.png
443 x 905 - 63K

Comments

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Depending on the job I sometimes "vet" the .obj file and its .mat file with Notepad+ and delete all the trash, If you have not done it before, it is worth experimenting on a couple of simple test files first with say two or three unused materials, just to get the idea. After a while it becomes fast and easy as they are only text files after all.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited May 2013

Depending on the job I sometimes "vet" the .obj file and its .mat file with Notepad+ and delete all the trash, If you have not done it before, it is worth experimenting on a couple of simple test files first with say two or three unused materials, just to get the idea. After a while it becomes fast and easy as they are only text files after all.

Was wondering if that was possible. Thought I had cleared them 'the hard way' via Hexagon, but nope, and back with a fury of "more"! sigh ...

So, to "vet" the file ... do I just delete the call reference or also all those numbers underneath it, before the next call reference?

001.png
    899 x 585 - 39K
    Post edited by patience55 on
  • GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

Just delete the usemtl line and yr good to go.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

That's good news, thank you so much.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Notepad+ will also show all references to the usemtl lines in a separate window if the search option is used, very handy.