Chit chat and nattering

2»

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

The 60's was a fun time. Free love, beatniks and Hippies, Ban the bomb marches, Rockers v Mods battles on the sea front, what more you need.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

I was born in the 60s - in the same year as Doctor Who in fact - though the sixties proper really ran up to 1973ish, and started a little way into the 1960s.

• XOTTXOTT Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    The 60's was a fun time. Free love, beatniks and Hippies, Ban the bomb marches, Rockers v Mods battles on the sea front, what more you need.

Green_Acres_(TV_show)-anigif.gif
    400 x 266 - 203K
    600full-my-favorite-martian-photo.jpg
    425 x 531 - 43K
    Man_From_Uncle_(promo_pic).jpg
    395 x 523 - 187K
    1960s_Batman-Robin-Batgirl.jpg
    650 x 366 - 38K
    giif_thing.gif
    320 x 237 - 343K
  • ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

The above pics were from;

Aadam's Family; Batman; The Man From UNCLE; My Favorite Martian; Green Acres

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

There was Gilligan's Island; Petticoat Junction (which was a cousin to Green Acres); Mission Impossible; Get Smart.

Just so many shows and not a lot of stations, maybe 4 or 5.

edited December 1969

We never had a TV. My Father suffered from a very mild form of Epilepsy, and had found that the very first black and white TVs could trigger an episode (pettit mal), and so always refused to have a TV set in the house.

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited December 1969

I was born in the 60s - in the same year as Doctor Who in fact - though the sixties proper really ran up to 1973ish, and started a little way into the 1960s.

I'm older than you! You missed a lot of crap, but a lot of good. I think of the Sixties as starting about '65, and getting only the extra 4 years. With the 50's as extending themselves that extra 5 years (depends on what feature you look at, though). So the 60's got a year cheated from it.

I can think of good and bad things for a lot of eras. (Excepting the Victorian Era, 1930's or 40's. I don't consider those to have been times I'd like to have lived through. But each left us with some progress, and appealing artifacts and styles).

But I would've enjoyed it a lot more if I was 18 during some part of the 60's time period. '73 was when the economy crashed (in the US in particular), from the OPEC embargo, and the precious-few jobs, for baby-boomers, went away.

I love a lot of the music from, say 63-ish thru some point in the 90's. But that's mostly on CD (excepting most concerts). The majority of great shows are available. All the good books still are, of course.

But now we've got incredible toys for the youngsters. Massive choices of media. Home computers, and all that software. The Internet. Even our "B" movies are a whole lot more palatable because of visuals and digital sound & video editing hiding the low production values and phoney stunts. I would've killed for that stuff to have come 40 or 50 years sooner. And because I was into science fiction, I was expecting it all a lot sooner than it appeared. OTOH, I have seen a lot of deterioration in living environment, for most of the inhabited places.

I had tons of time, for that, back then. Now I perceive 1 hour for every 3, and I can't keep up with stuff that has to be done. My eyesight is crap. And my brain is less productive...
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703
    edited December 1969

Home computers and internet are interesting, but I do not think they will catch on.

edited June 2012

LOL. It is a little spotty in the middle aged and elderly crowd. I haven't seen a huge uptick.

And the younger folks are getting into those portable gadgets.

So now they can be out of the house, but oblivious to their surroundings, out there, wherever they are, they didn't notice, were you talking? Tap tap tap slide flick taptaptap.

Post edited by T Jaiman on
    edited June 2012

Ledhead said:
    There was Gilligan's Island; Petticoat Junction (which was a cousin to Green Acres); Mission Impossible; Get Smart.

Just so many shows and not a lot of stations, maybe 4 or 5.

Most of those were shows that were lightweight family-hour stuff, that got selected to be rerun to death and disc-ed. (Excepting My Favorite Martian - which was good, so it stopped showing after a while). I would like to have e.g, Mannix, and The Lieutenant available. (Thankfully we are getting more of the greats - The Invaders took a long ol' time, and it hadn't been aired in forever. Kung Fu was another late-to-disc, but not as bad). (Still a lot of missing greats, across eras).

It's great to have stuff on disc. Because a lot of the famous shows started out fun, in black & white, but stations would only show color. A lot of younger people won't even look at B&W (TV does a horrible job of B&W, if you compare it to B&W film). Wild Wild West, Bewitched, Hogans Heroes, Mission Impossible, Lost in Space, McHale's Navy, Man From Uncle. (short list) started off excellent, but had jumped the shark by the time they went color. They'd turned just-silly, or the characters lost their edge, or the stories lost their punch. At least The Avengers was still very cool in the color era, but it lost the sense of imminent threat, and became more tounge-in-cheek.

Girl From Uncle and The New Avengers had to come along to make sure we knew it was over. Batgirl was fun though, seemed a little more, well, fun compared to the starchy goofyness of Batman. (Or maybe I was too busy looking at Yvonne Craig to notice). I used to have her debut comics, which were more fun, though - probably couldn't afford them, now.

As for stations - 4 (counting PBS), and depending on the city, UHF started coming in somewhere around the end of it.

But on weekends, recess, and summer - you got old movies all day. The vast majority were WWII and Cowboy, of course. (I kinda liked the RAF-setting ones from Britain, that they'd sneak in. The print would be from a beat up master that'd been used to make hundreds or thousands of copies. Saturday gave you about 3 hours of newer cartoons, if you didn't sleep in. Preceded by oldies, preceeded by real-oldies. Some of the films were classics, or just damned good. But it was dominated by about every other B movie you can find record of.

OTOH, you could see unexpurgated cartoons. And at various times of day, all the scenes of all episodes of, e.g. Little Rascals. And the original old 20's Betty Boops from before they had to produce a new sanitized version for the uptight 30's. (Last I heard, those Betty Boops are tied up by the descendant of a voice actress). Used to get all the 3 Stooges - couldn't do that again until recently. Laurel and Hardy still hit the tube. You saw all the WC Fields movies - which later got whittled down to fewer, then none.

Then your dad/mom/parents got home and it was news, nothingness, and the lightweight family shows. Closer to bedtime it was getting good. I remember getting dropped off with my much-older sister & her husband, every so often. I'd get forced into bed, wide awake, overhearing the theme songs, and snippets of dialog from shows like The Outer Limits, and Alfred Hitchock Presents. I think even the Fugitive was later night. At home, I only had to overhear fuddy-duddy shows, and they went to bed pretty early, anyway.

Once UHF came in, you could get kids shows after school, but I wasn't a kid, then.
    edited June 2012

chohole said:
    We never had a TV. My Father suffered from a very mild form of Epilepsy, and had found that the very first black and white TVs could trigger an episode (pettit mal), and so always refused to have a TV set in the house.

Ouch, I thought we were bad off, because my Dad was the last person in 180 miles to get a color set... and air conditioning...
    (That stuff just didn't matter to him or Mom).

About the lower 2/3rds of the US has brutal summers. And for 3 of my summers, I got to spend July in much hotter & more humid states. Our respective hosts, like my parents, considered heat to be a triviality.... The El Paso exile was accented by a jog down to a friggin glass-blowing factory, in ovenly Juarez, but also a trip to White Sands, where snow, from a freakish storm, still lay in the shadows of the dunes. Carlsbad Caverns, man, that was a great place to cool off, I wanted to spend a week in there. El Paso had a thunderstorm at Noon, every day. It'd thunder and sprinkle for just about 3 minutes, after which the rain would flash-evaporate, and add itself to the Gulf Coast humidity. The public pool was right down the street, though. One day, I hadn't gone to the pool... heard an explosive thunderbolt - lightning had struck the pool, moments after the lifeguards evacuated the last of the dawdling kids..

And then I got back for August... bleah.

Overall, I think I would've had a much brighter outlook on the 60's, if we'd had air conditioning. Imagine if you will, a young man, with a tonsillectomy. It's July (surprise!), with no a/c. And he's allergic to ice cream...
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    chohole said:

Ouch, I thought we were bad off, because my Dad was the last person in 180 miles to get a color set... and air conditioning...
    (That stuff just didn't matter to him or Mom).

About the lower 2/3rds of the US has brutal summers. And for 3 of my summers, I got to spend July in much hotter & more humid states. Our respective hosts, like my parents, considered heat to be a triviality.... The El Paso exile was accented by a jog down to a friggin glass-blowing factory, in ovenly Juarez, but also a trip to White Sands, where snow, from a freakish storm, still lay in the shadows of the dunes. Carlsbad Caverns, man, that was a great place to cool off, I wanted to spend a week in there. El Paso had a thunderstorm at Noon, every day. It'd thunder and sprinkle for just about 3 minutes, after which the rain would flash-evaporate, and add itself to the Gulf Coast humidity. The public pool was right down the street, though. One day, I hadn't gone to the pool... heard an explosive thunderbolt - lightning had struck the pool, moments after the lifeguards evacuated it.

And then I got back for August... bleah.

You make me feel glad I live in the nice temperate UK. We Celts don't take high temps very well, mostly.
    edited December 1969

One of my grandmas cannot take the heat that well. She does live in the place called Wisconsin and they usually do not get too hot there.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

"The best of the sunshine will be in the south-east". No, you wretched weather personage, the best of the sunshine will be where there's a little cloud to break it up and an nice cool breeze to take the edge off it. But the radio people never lsiten when I tell them that.

edited June 2012

I think I would thrive on the isles. I'm the only Californian who likes rain.

Wisconsin winters are kinda tough. I'm a weather wimp, but at least I can adapt to cold. I shut down in the heat.

It'd be nice if we could all have the choice to be nomadic, go North in the summer...
    I'd probably winter here in Calif. Our winters are incredibly mild, in the central valley.

But they've been too dry for most of the last 3 decades. And the past decade we've been getting a real warmup for part of January or February, which buds the trees out too early, and makes the weeds explode.

edited December 1969

I thought the nomadic people go to Florida for the winter.

edited June 2012

"The best of the sunshine will be in the south-east". No, you wretched weather personage, the best of the sunshine will be where there's a little cloud to break it up and an nice cool breeze to take the edge off it. But the radio people never lsiten when I tell them that.

ROTFL.

Our weather presenters (who always put a positive spin on it, for the tourists), have decided to redefine "hot" as 100F or more.

I've woken neighbors, while watching late night news... "97 is not warm! It's freakin' hot!"

Really? 100 F = 37.8 C? I will never figure out Celsius. 7/9+ your waist size, or something? Do we have to convert waist size from inches to cm?

The metric system is soo simple, all 10's, until it gets to temperature. A meter is close enough to a yard, a mile is a value-sized kilometer.
    Liters I'm a little shaky on, I never really got the hang of the gallon, due to all the weird container shapes.
    edited December 1969

lol, Ain't that the truth.
    edited June 2012

I thought the nomadic people go to Florida for the winter.

That does sound nice. Or Hawaii. But I kinda like our winters, most daytimes are generally brisk to warm-in-the-sunlight.

The daytime cold is usually just enough to change things up. About half the rains are warm, the rest are freezing.
    Sometimes it gets pretty cold, in the day, though. The winter nights are cold, of course.
    The freezes are sparse enough to be referred to as freezes. Always a lot of cover-your-plants & pipes news stories.

Most people who come to Callie in the winter are expecting L. A. weather throughout the state though.

Every rainstorm brings a news story about a disappointed tourist.

It's funny when it rains in LA - they panic. And they're in their cars. :ohh:
    Plenty of people up here are the same way, though. You can hear traffic speed up when the rain first starts, it's crazy.
    Not funny when your in traffic at the time, though.
    edited December 1969

I rather like our Winters. We rarely got Winters like this when I was living down in the South East.

Different_snowman_smaller.jpg
    800 x 600 - 290K
    edited June 2012

chohole said:
    I rather like our Winters. We rarely got Winters like this when I was living down in the South East.

Pretty piccie.

I can feel my toes numbing, just looking at it. :) I like that snow face. What is the snow piled on right there, some vines?

Images don't quote, huh? Oh right, because they have to be at the bottom. I was going to edit it off, anyway.

Snow gets fairly close, sometimes, when there's a low snow. We get a dusting of it, down here, every several years.
    I wouldn't mind a some snow down here.
    edited December 1969

Oh drat, there's light leaking around that edge of the blackout curtain. Have to fix that tonight.

Gonna nap. I bought this comfy light-proof bed with a lid, from this toothy chick. Mysterious gal...

edited December 1969

I have this super Blackout blind which I got from a US outlet who did have some stuff handeld in the UK. It worked really good, till we got these new catlings, who have worked out how to open our bedroom door,, and then jump up and push the blind aside, so we get woken far ealier that we really want to. Being as we live up a mountain, we get sunlight earlier than they do in the valleys. :long:

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:

It's funny when it rains in LA - they panic. And they're in their cars. :ohh:
    Plenty of people up here are the same way, though. You can hear traffic speed up when the rain first starts, it's crazy.
    Not funny when your in traffic at the time, though.

It's terrible. Oils seep into the road surface, so on those rare occasions when it rains, the oil floats up and the roads become slippery. All those drivers who've never driven on icy roads have no idea what to do.