Poser 9 at Purplus for $29.95

daz3_57718312fadaz3_57718312fa Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Poser 9 is on sale now at Purplus for about thirty dollars. I realize at this point this almost sounds as though I were a shill for Smith Micro so for what it's worth. But maybe someone will find it interesting. They still do include a lot of content with the software and for the price it's not too bad a deal. I've just installed my copy and can now use the September 2012 SDK with Vue. I'm all goose bumpy from the experience.

Generally speaking when Poser ends up at Purplus it means there's a new version imminent.
They, Purplus, still don't have Pro 2012 up and that may be worth waiting for especially if you want to render with Poser.
Apparently additional content is included with the 3.1 service pack which can be downloaded from Content Paradise.
Free shipping for US (for Easter at any rate).
Even though there's a lot of content included a lot of that is older figures.
Older figures include the low poly people from poser 2 and 4.
People include: Alyson, Ben, Don, James, Jessi, Judy, Kate, Ryan, Simon, and Sydney.
9 still has the SA Kitty and all the old mannequins along with the newest Milk Man Andy.
Other stuff too but you have to be careful about Content Paradise quality...

Ok I want one of those badges now. It should say, "Very late adapter Poser 9." The nice thing about all of ths is the way e-on has integrated the Poser content and the latest SDK. Toon Aiko 3 in PlanetVixens SWAT (by way of Morphing Cloths) rendered with the Poser render engine in Vue 11 worked nicely in early testing here.

http://www.purplus.net/poser9.html Good luck, maybe someone will find this useful.

Comments

• Drew ZantiDrew Zanti Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the heads up, thats a great price for anyone wanting Poser

Purplus are great and I've had some stuff shipped to the UK from them and even with the Import duty and customs tax I still saved buckets of money

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

The price is now $45 but a coupon "take10on9" gets you Poser9 for $35.

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

I just tried to get this but it wants to charge me postage and I can't see how to just get. A. Download link.

edited December 1969

I just ordered the physical DVD edition, they have free shipping for the USPS Standard option.
    Shows up at -3 dollar rebate, but yes it is charged first at 3$.

With the coupon it became 38$, the 10 off and free shipping means effectivly 7 off.
    Still an an awesome deal and still online.

edited December 1969

Huge thanks to Marty D for posting the news.

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

yes my thanks too, and I did go ahead and order it. Doesn't seem to have gone through yet though.
    the postage was 10 dollars so it was still a good deal. I want to give it to a friend a present. I already have PP 2012

• daz3_57718312fadaz3_57718312fa Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So the Easter Egg didn't last very long. Good to know the coupon is there!

Software is a physical delivery only. You get the two DVD's for Windows and Apple in a standard DVD case, a simple getting started booklet and folding cheat sheet with all the keyboard shortcuts. You also get a serial key for the license.

The license is new, not an upgrade. Which adds even more value.

The service release is at http://poser.smithmicro.com/poserupdates.html All the bugs are already worked out, well, most of the bugs?

edited December 1969

Poser 9 still 35$ at http://www.purplus.net/poser9.html

• MegaPMegaP Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

They also have an Ebay shop and for people like me in Aust shipping is much cheaper.
    Ok,I'm about to take the leap and cross over to Poser.
    I'd like the Pro 2012 and this is only because I believe you can take Daz content over in this software.
    Is this correct?
    I'm a bit over trying to find things in Das and posing characters is starting to bug me
    The rendering also looks truly amazing

edited April 2013

megabixel, the gen 5 Daz characters should, I believe, work the same in both 2012 Pro and 9. But I'm not certain of this and I've never tried to import any of the gen 5 content. Maybe someone else here can say.

The big difference between 2012 Pro and 9 is the 64 bit architecture. Pro's rendering engine runs in x64 architecture and can handle much larger scenes with a much faster render time. If you are planning to render in Poser and have a limited budget you may want to wait for the Pro version to go on sale. Slow rendering times are hugely frustrating, especially around a place like this when you need to post sooner than later. Of course if the machine you are using is running in a 32 bit architecture anyway it won't help to have the x64 software - that won't work! You'll have to know which operating system are you using to make that decision.

Post edited by daz3_57718312fa on
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The major difference between Poser 9 & Poser 2012 is that Poser 9 is 32-bit & therefore limited to 3GB memory use & Poser 2012 is 64-bit. They both use weight-mapped figures (although different than DAZ3D tri-ax weight-mapping).

edited December 1969

So true Marty,
    Patience has never been my friend.
    Running a 64 any way and should just bite the bullet and buy it.
    Have seen it on Amazon for around 350.
    I've got to a point where I'd like a bit more realism in my images,plus like I said,a bit over clicking all day to find that pair of lost shoes in Daz
    Poser seems an easier interface

edited December 1969

Thanks BWSman,
    I'm guessing i'll be on this section a whole lot more soon.
    So much to learn

edited December 1969

I guess I'd prefer to get the software on sale. I'm always disappointed at the quality anyway and when I spend a ton of money on something that's annoying and marginally useful I usually just end up getting unhappy at the world in general.

Reality render engine for Daz Studio has good quality. There's also a version for Poser apparently? Who knew. Not sure if that means anything. One of the better rendering solutions available though. Forty dollars for new, ten dollars for upgrade, version 3 on the way.

edited December 1969

Haaaa you sound like me...excited...deflated..crash
    Daz and I'm sure Poser give you bi polar
    I have Reality and for some reason the render isn't doing something it should in "ouput"
    Should have a look at a Reality forum i'm guessing
    May I ask Marty do you have Poser 2012?

edited December 1969

I do not have 2012 ... Blender 2.66a, Poser 9, Vue Infinite 11, GIMP 2.8.2, and, a ton of others. Every single one has personality issues. There's also a free version of Lux, the engine Reality is using, for Blender but that isn't the most, uhm, intuitive path.

A user group sounds right. Reality seems to have a good following. If you really want to spend money you might like to take a look at Cinema 4D, Modo, possibly Vue. Cinema 4D is the most mature, Modo has a little of everything and is young, Vue is more rendering only but with plants and atmosphere. The problem is to export DAZ models to their environment since DAZ is somewhat unreliable in that regard. Poser 9 is a good solution but DAZ support for Poser is diminishing. I'm not sure if Modo has Collada format on board or not or if DAZ has repaired their Collada export yet. If you have lots of money to play with all well and good but the free stuff has nearly the same quality. Kind of all depends on how serious you are and what you need to accomplish. The best rendering engines are certainly in 3D Studio and Maya. I like Reality with Lux.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,668
    edited December 1969

I think Poser 9 lacks some or all of the rigging tools that are in Poser Pro 2012 - I'm pretty sure it lacks the weight-map tools, not sure if it still has the older tools for fall-off based rigging.

edited December 1969

You are right, 9 does lack the new rigging creation tools. However it does still utilize figures created with weighted rigging. A user of pre-made models won't notice.

On that note, there is a free update to Victoria 4 which converts her to Weight Mapped Victoria 4 at Runtime DNA. Registration required. While you're there they also have "a figure-to-clothing weight-map and joint transfer Python script by Cage," also free, called Poser Place's Outfitter. It sounds good. According to the description, "You will find that as much as the new figures bending and movement is significantly more natural, the clothing fits are improved as well. You are able to pose your clothed figures as never before." Vicky will need Yoga lessons and a bendy sword.

edited December 1969

You guys are a well of information and it is truly appreciated.
    I'm totally obsessed with this world!
    As you said each one has personality issues and I also jump programs to get different outcomes.
    Marty,you may of solved my problem with clothing.I noticed products that should fit don't
    Sounds like it will also fix posing.
    You guys are the best
    Wishing I could post a saucy pic in apprecitation