Anyone using a monoprice Tablet with Carrara?

Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi
I'm thinking of buying a monoprice tablet to use with Carrara. My primary use would be to replace my mouse
due to carpel Tunnel. I see a tablet setting in carrara, but some software only see Wacom. Does the monoprice
( which gets great reviews) play well with Carrara?
Thanks

Comments

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

I'm interested in following this and hearing about what you learn 8068. I have often wondered about buying a tablet and/or 3DConnexion mouse (according to the website, Carrara doesn't support this but Daz Studio will).

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited December 1969

I just got a Monoprice 8x6 tablet a while ago for use in 2d apps and the pen itself works beautifully . The paint strokes are much more natural than the Bamboo touch I had before . I do not use it within Carrara except for the painting and I have not done much of that yet either . There is a problem within the 3d painting as it always paints a large blob at the beginning of each stroke, I can not remember if it did this with my Wacom pen or not. I think Carrara did the same thing with the Wacom as well.
    Let me know what you want me to check out and I will try it out for you, I mostly use a mouse in 3d programs not my pen.

• Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

mmoir
    I almost bought the Bamboo. But what I hated was the pen would perform a click and hold if it touched the tablet.
    I noticed the more expensive Wacom's didn't do this, the pen could be in contact with the tablet and not click an Icon until it was depressed.
    So does it HAVE to hover above the tablet to mouse. Also any experiments with dual monitors? I hear that can be a problem.
    (Though I could get by with just one)
    Thanks

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited March 2013

The pen works just like the mouse does, I don't quite understand what you mean in your post. If you click(tap) the tablet with the pen it won't "click and hold" but it acts like a left mouse click. If you touch and drag the pen it will paint strokes just like it should.

To move the cursor or mouse around the screen you don't need to hover you just move the pen where you want it on the tablet . Moving the cursor while the pen is in contact with the tablet and without selecting or doing anything would be extremely annoying and I don't know why you would want to do that. This is a tablet and not a mouse, if you try to make the pen navigate like a mouse you are going to be frustrated.

You can hover the pen over the tablet and using the right click to bring up context menus works but for left clicking you have to tap the tablet with the pen.

I previously had two monitors but I don't anymore so I can't say anything about that. I did have some issues installing it though, be persistent and try the UC logic drivers if the ones you get with the tablet don't work.

Mike

8068 said:
    mmoir
    I almost bought the Bamboo. But what I hated was the pen would perform a click and hold if it touched the tablet.
    I noticed the more expensive Wacom's didn't do this, the pen could be in contact with the tablet and not click an Icon until it was depressed.
    So does it HAVE to hover above the tablet to mouse. Also any experiments with dual monitors? I hear that can be a problem.
    (Though I could get by with just one)
    Thanks
    Post edited by mmoir on
    edited December 1969

mmoir
    The Intuos Tablets work as I describe. The simple explanation is with the Intuos pen contact with the tablet did not register as a mouse click on a icon, pen pressure did. Example you are drawing a line in Photoshop. You wish to change tools by clicking on another tool icon.
    With the Intuos Tablet if you move the pen to the other tool you wish to select it doesn't select the other tool until you apply pressure with the pen on the tablet.
    The Bamboo on the other hand registered ANY contact with the tablet as holding the left click mouse button. I found this very annoying, and have seen many
    posts complaining about this on the internet. Of course it's a pen not a mouse, but I enjoyed the fact that when working in the program the intuos did both jobs well.
    It saves random unintended mouse clicks in the program with the pen, but allows the pen to work as a mouse. The bamboo approach means you cannot rest the pen or slide it on the tablet to select something because it will select everything in it's path. As my first post says do to carpel tunnel I am trying to use the tablet as a mouse. I figured I'd give it a shot, The monoprice looks nice and it's cheap enough that if it doesn't work out I still have a nice tablet I've always wanted to try in C.A.D. programs anyway.
    Thanks for the info.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited March 2013

Amazing. I just tried using my older Wacom Graphire3 as a mouse to navigate this thread, select and copy text, and finally click to respond. The whole process, although new, was incredibly easy to get used to! The left and right buttons work better that expected, and navigating my 22" monitor, which I thought would be really cumbersome, was a dream! It also feels a lot less stressful on my wrist and hand as I'm now working on my lap. I'll try using it in Carrara tomorrow.

Okay, switching back to the pen to submit this! ;-)

Edit:
    The big thing for scrolling large pages is to use that left mouse button on the stylus to use speed scroll. Otherwise you keep running out of real estate on the tablet, itself... take it back to the other side, once you realize why the cursor stopped moving, and start again. I'll have to look into faster ways to move horizontally, as speed scroll is only up and down. Selecting text is awesome!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Amazing. I just tried using my older Wacom Graphire3 as a mouse to navigate this thread, select and copy text, and finally click to respond. The whole process, although new, was incredibly easy to get used to!

Interesting...I wonder if this is something worth exploring. I'm still curious about the 3DConexxion "mice" too.

...and navigating my 22" monitor...

Paging Dr. Freud! Paging Dr. Freud! :P

I have a 24" minimum rule for my monitors these days. Even those are starting to feel cramped.

When I was at Microsoft, I used 4 monitors together. That was sweet. This machine here has two 24" screens...I have Carrara on here but my main server with Carrara and LightWave only has one 28" screen. Carrara's support for multi-monitors can be...interesting...

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

I just saw this related video on the using the Monoprice Tablet with Project Dogwaffle on Windows 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEzLVDX5efY

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:
    I just saw this related video on the using the Monoprice Tablet with Project Dogwaffle on Windows 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEzLVDX5efY

'Tis the voice of Mr. Dan Ritchie, Developer of Project Dogwaffle.
    Dan Ritchie is the creator and brainchild of Project Dogwaffle and PD Pro Digital painter. He is the programming department.
    Dan has been known amongst the 3D community for making plugins for 3D tools such as Lightwave 3D as well. Some of his plugins were later integrated into Dogwaffle. He has worked in 3D animation on special effects at Foundation Imaging and other fine production studios on projects like Star Trek Voyager, Starship Troopers, and other exciting sci-fi productions involving 3D animations and special fx.

edited December 1969

Dartanbeck
    I got the tablet and it is amazing for the money. I've tried it on Mac and PC. I do use it to give my wrist a break and it works quite well.
    With Carrara there are a few issues that may prevent me from using it.
    On a Mac was was able to turn down the sensivity so pressure was required for a click. On a PC it seems if I tap the tablet that is a click. I know this is normal behavior for a tablet but with the Wacom I was able to set it so pressure was required for a click on a PC changing the Sensitivity didn't really help.

Anyway the short answer I bought the newest version the Huion H610 for $48.00 and it is great. This newer model seemed to come with good drivers because I had no issues installing on Mac 10.6.8 and Win7 x64 x32.
    I will use it more in other programs then Carrara because
    1) when animating Carrara didn't like something about it's click I couldn't always get it to click on a Tweener.
    2) the pen would sometimes shift a keyframe when clicking it.
    3)Carrara is picky with it's scroll options, it responds to a dedicated scroll wheel, but when is software based it doesn't.
    I saw this issue with a logitec marble mouse.
    I spent hours tweeking the setting and still didn't quite love it as much as my track ball.
    but I will use it if my carpel tunnel gets worse. i will use it with other programs.
    If you are looking for a tablet I highly recommend this one.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

8068, do you know how the good Monoprice would work if was used with Z-Brush. or a similar program. I n few months and I'm seriously considering the Monoprice from what I'm seeing said about them online.

I've used an Intuos 3 a few times that a friend lets me borrow if we are working together. It worked great, but they are no longer being made and can cost more than newer version one. I got told to stay away from the various 4 Waycoms because of numerous problems they have. Same person who lets me use their Intuos 3, got an Intuos 4 and switched back to using the 3 because of numerous problems the 4 had. Have heard a lot of mixed reviews about the newer 5 Waycoms, but some problems the 4 had are apparently worse with the 5s. Several of the problems they had other reported with the 4 in online reviews.

edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA
    I'm not the best person to ask because I have just started to work with a tablet, so maybe others in a zBrush forum could help more.
    I will say I am picky, and The New Huion H610 ( which is the newest model of this type of tablet sold under different names)
    The drivers installed with no problems including dual monitors on a P.C.
    The Tablet looked good , felt good, and worked as advertised. Is crazy cheap ( guess the American way is going down the toilet)
    I love it, it gets great reviews, and looks more intuos like but without the scroll wheel.
    I gets great reviews, but I would check with others using that application.