using Hexagon for plushie models

assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I was looking on the internet for a way to help make plushie designs, the sewing patterns, easier/better. More creative then just normal animals.

I looked, and found EasyToy. It allows you to upload the image in the background and you then sketch around the basic drawn shapes and models them a little to get the shapes that are on the drawn image. If that doesn't make any sense, you can look it up on youtube, if you can.

Now, the program costs $200 and that in itself it just being able to make the CG models, you can't even print the pattern. No, for that, the program is $4,000...so out of the price range. Or you pay the extra $30 to have the company get the pattern with their other program (that you can't get unless you spend the 4 grand)

Now, what I'm wondering if I could do that with Hexagon. I would like to make plushies. Mostly, for myself, I want to make life-sized pokemon. and make little critters that I have from my own novels. And other things.

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

I was looking on the internet for a way to help make plushie designs, the sewing patterns, easier/better. More creative then just normal animals.

I looked, and found EasyToy. It allows you to upload the image in the background and you then sketch around the basic drawn shapes and models them a little to get the shapes that are on the drawn image. If that doesn't make any sense, you can look it up on youtube, if you can.

Now, the program costs $200 and that in itself it just being able to make the CG models, you can't even print the pattern. No, for that, the program is $4,000...so out of the price range. Or you pay the extra $30 to have the company get the pattern with their other program (that you can't get unless you spend the 4 grand)

Now, what I'm wondering if I could do that with Hexagon. I would like to make plushies. Mostly, for myself, I want to make life-sized pokemon. and make little critters that I have from my own novels. And other things.

I'm not sure that I have understood what you are looking for. I think what you're looking for is a way to convert an image into a sewing pattern?

Hexagon isn't based on the right technology to do that. Something like Marvellous Design is based on sewing patterns but I don't believe it will create from an image unless they have added the feature since I last looked at it. Sorry I can't be of more help. The type of program you are looking for would need to be able to capture the image and then convert the 3D shape to a sewing pattern. I've seen bits of this in various programs but not all of them together.

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    Hexagon isn't based on the right technology to do that. Something like Marvellous Design is based on sewing patterns but I don't believe it will create from an image unless they have added the feature since I last looked at it. Sorry I can't be of more help. The type of program you are looking for would need to be able to capture the image and then convert the 3D shape to a sewing pattern. I've seen bits of this in various programs but not all of them together.

No, EasyToy doesn't convert the image into a 3d model by itself. I did say look it up on youtube to understand what I was saying.

You UPLOAD the drawn image in the background, you sketch around the outline of the to get the basic 3-d model shape, then you fine-tune the shape. It's a sketch base modeling program.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited March 2013

post deleted

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

You can load images onto the grids in Hexagon [square shape, not huge files].

Then trace around them with one of the "lines" and then pull mesh out from the lines and start modeling.

Or start by using various shapes provided in the program and model away.

Uvmapping in Hexagon is possible ... exercise in patience but it is possible.

One can certainly save out the uvmap and colour it in an image editor. [I don't use Hexagon to make textures].

For a plushie, you're going to want more rather than less polygons for the final .obj.
    That will happen when smoothing is applied.

If you want to make it "jointed" ... after you've finished modeling it; in face mode, copy/delete/paste each section. Rename them intelligently for the bone they're to receive. And export out the .obj to your Geometries folder in the Runtime under My Library.

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You can load images onto the grids in Hexagon [square shape, not huge files].

Then trace around them with one of the "lines" and then pull mesh out from the lines and start modeling.

Or start by using various shapes provided in the program and model away.

Uvmapping in Hexagon is possible ... exercise in patience but it is possible.

One can certainly save out the uvmap and colour it in an image editor. [I don't use Hexagon to make textures].

For a plushie, you're going to want more rather than less polygons for the final .obj.
    That will happen when smoothing is applied.

If you want to make it "jointed" ... after you've finished modeling it; in face mode, copy/delete/paste each section. Rename them intelligently for the bone they're to receive. And export out the .obj to your Geometries folder in the Runtime under My Library.

Guess I'll be a on a quest of trying to figure out how to upload those Eevee pictures in Hex
  • RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

well all you need to do is to digitise the image that you are looking to use. Either a digital camera; scan it; or even use your phone.

Make sure the photo is SQUARE once you've digitised it and it's somewhere on your computer, then load it into Hexagon here on the properties tab in the scene panel on the right hand side.

If this does not help there are alternative methods to set up a reference image for modeling. Ideally, you should have a front view and also a side view. :)

Hex_Scrn_2.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 106K
    Post edited by RedSquare on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

There's a thread here in the Carrara forum on Pepakura http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18649/

The program website is here http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Oh you guys are fast!

Anyway, here's the pic I prepared to show how/where to load pics in Hexie.

photosonGrid.png
    876 x 679 - 230K