A question about UberVolume

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
edited December 1969 in New Users

I've been playing with UberVolume a bit and have got the hang of it mostly (thanks to the good folks on this forum). But I'd like to know why it can be only used in a cone shape? It's a bit limiting, given that actual space is cuboid shaped! e.g. if you want an atmospheric, dust-filled room, you can only fill a cone shaped part of the room with dust. Seems a bit odd you can't select a cuboid space.

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

There's a sphere option that you can use instead of the cone. Not a cuboid, but it might be better suited than the cone for the situation you described. I'm in the same place as you: I've "got the hang of it mostly" when it comes to the cone, but I haven't tried the sphere yet.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited March 2013

There's a sphere option that you can use instead of the cone. Not a cuboid, but it might be better suited than the cone for the situation you described. I'm in the same place as you: I've "got the hang of it mostly" when it comes to the cone, but I haven't tried the sphere yet.

aha! wondered what that was. Thanks. Just tried it tho and although it's better for a room space, it's insanely render heavy even on low render settings! Plus, it's VERY artefacty.

Here's a quick example just using a single spot from outside the room.

dust.jpg
    975 x 882 - 450K
    Post edited by Sertorial on
    edited December 1969

Higher render settings should make the artifacts go away...of course, the render times will probably go way up...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Actually, you can use a cube...the cone and sphere are the presets. Just load one and apply the 'Uber Volume Base' to it...then either one of the three presets, Dust, Cloud, Smoke or play with the settings...

Just remember, the camera needs to be outside the 'volume'.

uecube.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 17K
    edited December 1969

Cool, that could have a variety of interesting uses...thank you. :)

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Actually, you can use a cube...the cone and sphere are the presets. Just load one and apply the 'Uber Volume Base' to it...then either one of the three presets, Dust, Cloud, Smoke or play with the settings...

Just remember, the camera needs to be outside the 'volume'.

Sorry, when you say load a cube, do you mean a cube primitive? Or something else?

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited March 2013

edit,,,

ah sorry,, there is question ^^;
    the cube he said,, means" primitive"

you can use any primitive I think. select the primitive surface,
    then apply uber volume shader.(base)

it change the primitive as uber volume primitive (I do not know how call it,, volume shell?)

=================

it is my simple test with node instances.

Before tweaking UberVolume,, I find,, mesh lights can be added by node instances,,

so that,,I think If I made 5 cones by node instances,, and 5 mesh spot light (made by area light) by node instances
    each lights can rotate and change cone size individually.

then I test it,,, if I parented Cone to light (made by node instances),, it seems not work well..
    when I tweak one,, other cone size change and make strange duplicate cones .

but grouped mesh spot light and cone (node instances) as one light set,, it work .

I can rotate,, and change cone size, individually each group.

(but the mesh light parameter and cone surface setting,
    copied to every node instances,
    so that I can not change light color, or tweak parameter of each light,,
    hope other user test,, ^^;)

it seems useful,, to make grouped studio light sets,,,

then I hope to weak cone shape,, now opacity set zero,
    so if I need more narrow beam angle of spot light,, which can fit cone angle?

volumelight.JPG
    1078 x 693 - 94K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on
    edited December 1969

edit,,,

you can use any primitive I think. select the primitive surface,
    then apply uber volume shader.(base)

it change the primitive as uber volume primitive (I do not know how call it,, volume shell?)

I don't think he did mean a primitive. That is a solid object, so you couldn't compose your scene within it.

edited December 1969

edit,,,

you can use any primitive I think.
    then apply uber volume shader.

Yes, although the torus isn't all that useful, unless you are doing a render of Gandalf blowing smoke rings or something like that...

None of the primitives are 'solid'...they all 'hollow', so yes you can create a full scene inside on...it totally depends on the scale. And with the UberVolume, the surface is transparent, so it doesn't matter...the cube is to define the space that will be used to contain the smoke/cloud/dust.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited March 2013

thank you mjc ^^.

of course we need to choose shape ,
    and adjust scale,,which can fit to the scean which you plan.

if I want to all scene in smoke I may use large scale sphere.or cylinder. or cube,,etc.

or I will make new surface group in primitive,
    and apply volume light shader to the surface group only.
    it make different effect, i think. though I have not tried it, but it may work.
    I believe I may make mozaic smoke ^^;

or I may use torus in which arrange a few spot lights, it can lay all direction in torus.
    it will make torus shape smoke I think. (actually,, it can work,, as universe pic)

of course usually ,,it can not fit to usuall scene. so I may simply use corn shape as volume light .

or if I hope the sparcle dust effect t in the room,
    which mady by sun beam throw square window to the room, I may use cuboid.

there seems no limitation. (but the scene is good or not is different problem ^^;
    so if you see my pic,, you feel ,, I can not manage it well,, it is true ^^;
    I have no skill to arrange scene well.

volumelight.jpg
    800 x 600 - 229K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

An example of using a cube with UberVolume to create a foggy graveyard

natives.jpg
    1600 x 1280 - 440K
  • OskarssonOskarsson Posts: 793
    edited December 1969

Think bigger! Space! Stars are actually Studio lights...

PromoImage02.jpg
    1118 x 860 - 138K
    edited December 1969

Here's an interesting little item I cooked up, last night...

smike.png
    800 x 1000 - 95K
  • davidbrucesmithdavidbrucesmith Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Looking at all of these great shots makes me jealous! I am trying to perform the GreyWulf tutorial, and for some reason I do not some of have the scripts that seems to be required. If I do the tutorial, and first create a spotlight, select the spotlight, and then attempt to create the "parent cone to Light" shader, I get an application error that the script "omVolumeCone.daz does not exist: check your install". If I check the directory path indicated, ithe .daz script is not there: I see a lot of other UberScripts so I do have the system installed. See the screen shots below. Does anyone have any insight? I am pretty sure that I was able to access this BEFORE I upgraded my Daz to 4.5.1.56 but I am not sure.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Screen_shot_2013-03-20_at_8.53_.18_PM_.png
    318 x 550 - 65K
    Screen_shot_2013-03-20_at_8.34_.06_PM_.png
    835 x 378 - 65K
  • Jenkins3DJenkins3D Posts: 106
    edited April 2014

I figured it out, no thanks to the support team...

download the new Daz 4.6 lights and presets, that will fix it.

Post edited by Jenkins3D on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2014

You need to Install the Default DAZ Studio Lights and Shaders content package to have the Cone. If installed Properly it lists in the
    Content Library Tab>Daz Studio Formats>My DAZ 3D Library>Shader Presets>omnifreaker>UberVolume...

Capture-007.PNG
    700 x 860 - 442K
    Capture-006.PNG
    410 x 865 - 112K
    Post edited by Jaderail on