How to save a pose in Carrara?

James_1903529James_1903529 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Sorry to ask this, but how can I save a pose that I have a figure in, in Carrara?

Thanks for the help.

James

Comments

• ShannonHoppeShannonHoppe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hello James. Think this is what you're looking for:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14547/

• James_1903529James_1903529 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the help!

I tried what the page said and it didn't work for me. Here's what I did, in Carrara 8.1.*

I am using the 3D Universe toon character.

1) File -> New -> empty Scene -> medium
    2) Drag and drop the figure I want to pose, into the scene
    3) Pose the figure
    4) Select the figure in the properties/instance window
    5) Click the NLA tab
    6) Click Create Master Pose
    7) Select the figure I want, and all corresponding body parts (it's all already selected)
    8) Click ok, and my figure freaks out and I don't see the pose saved anywhere.

Thanks again

James

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Pose gets saved to the CLIPS tab (next to INSTANCES)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Yandorx :)

Depending on the 3D Universe figure you're using,. it may not be fully supported in Carrara,. as some functions of some 3D universe products are made to use either Python in poser, or scripting in Daz Studio, which Carrara doesn't have.

Try this..

1./ Create a new empty medium scaled scene
    2./ double click the figure thumbnail to load it into the scene. or drag it from the browser , to the Scene instance list (right)
    3./ move the time-line position to 1 second, and then add a pose to the figure. add several at different points if you want to.
    4./ move the time-line, to any frame within your animation.
    5./ (with the figure still selected) go to the NLA tab and click Create master pose.
    6./ drag the new NLA pose from the Clips panel, and drop it onto the figures NLA track.

Another method of saving or recording poses, is Puppeteer,. which can be found in the "Controllers" tab, in the top right panels, for a figure, or an Animated group.

You can record poses by clicking in the grid area to create a "Pose Dot"
    you can apply a single pose from there to a figure.
    you can save and load puppeteer presets of multiple pose dots.

Hope it helps :)

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm glad you all have this working so nice. I have yet to get carrara to save an NLA clip. I have tried repeatedly through several versions, but nothing actually saves. "my clips" is always empty.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    I'm glad you all have this working so nice. I have yet to get carrara to save an NLA clip. I have tried repeatedly through several versions, but nothing actually saves. "my clips" is always empty.
    Really? I use NLA all the time. Works great in all Pro versions 7-8.5b for me.
    edited December 1969

Cripeman is a big fan of the 3D Universe Toons Generation Figure (Cripeman video demo of the figure).
    He also features it in several of his other tutorials, including his excellent Global Illumination Video.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:

Try this Stan.

1./ Load a figure into a new scene.
    2./ Add some poses at different points in the timeline to create a simple test animation.
    3,. With the figure still selected,.. go to the NLA tab and click on "Create Master Clip".
    4,./ in the options window,. "Remove keyfrmes" should be enabled. ..this clears any animation from the time-line as it's being converted to an NLA clip.

5./ drag the NLA clip, from the clips panel,. and drop it into the figures NLA track

let me know if that works for you.

You can also go back to key-frames, by selecting the figure, then loading in the "Clip data" using the NLA tab
    then you can add more animation and save it as a different NLA clip.

:)

edited March 2013

Nope. Nothing saves, no clip to load. This is just another "only me" bug :-S

Post edited by ManStan on
    edited December 1969

HI Stan :)

What version of Carrara are you using ? 8, or 8.5

What figures are you using ?

I'm not sure why this isn't working for you,.

If you have any Key-frame animation in the sequencer for a figure, or an Animated group, then you should have access to the NLA tab, and you can create a new Master clip which will take any key-frame animation, and convert it into an NLA clip,.. which it places into the Clips panel. then you can drag 'n' drop that clip, into the NLA track for your figure in the sequencer.

try this scene.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7907045/ani_test.car

it's two cubes, animated to travel around the scene grid, and then made into an Animated Group, which gives you an NLA track, and th ability to create NLA clips or poses.

Open the scene,. Select the "Animated Group",. then go to the NLA tab, and click "Create Master Clip"

in the NLA options panel, make sure that . "Delete objects keyframes" is enabled.

That should clear the sequencer of any keyframe animation for that item, and place the new NLA clip, into the clips panel (bottom right), then you can drag it from there into the NLA track for that Animated group in the sequencer.

edited December 1969

Got it. Just me being thick. I never use those panels in the lower right. in fact they are slid down out of sight. :red:

edited December 1969

We're all thick sometimes :)

No worries,.. as long as it's working for you now :)

• James_1903529James_1903529 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi 3DAGE,

Thanks for the help, so with step 6 I can drag the nla pose from the clips panel and drop it on a figures nla track, but how can I save it and use it for a different scene/pose? I think I took a wrong turn at step 6 somehow.

Thanks very much for the help and steps.

3DAGE said:
    Hi Yandorx :)

Depending on the 3D Universe figure you're using,. it may not be fully supported in Carrara,. as some functions of some 3D universe products are made to use either Python in poser, or scripting in Daz Studio, which Carrara doesn't have.

Try this..

1./ Create a new empty medium scaled scene
    2./ double click the figure thumbnail to load it into the scene. or drag it from the browser , to the Scene instance list (right)
    3./ move the time-line position to 1 second, and then add a pose to the figure. add several at different points if you want to.
    4./ move the time-line, to any frame within your animation.
    5./ (with the figure still selected) go to the NLA tab and click Create master pose.
    6./ drag the new NLA pose from the Clips panel, and drop it onto the figures NLA track.

Another method of saving or recording poses, is Puppeteer,. which can be found in the "Controllers" tab, in the top right panels, for a figure, or an Animated group.

You can record poses by clicking in the grid area to create a "Pose Dot"
    you can apply a single pose from there to a figure.
    you can save and load puppeteer presets of multiple pose dots.

Hope it helps :)

edited December 1969

HI Yandorx :)

Glad to help...

Step 7 ./ Drag the NLA Clip or pose, from the Scene clips panel, and drop it into the "Clips" section of the browser.

You can open a new scene, and drag your saved clips, from the Clips section of the browser, into the Scene Clips panel.
    then you can load them into an NLA track for a figure, or you can "Load the clip data" (as keyframes) back into the timeline, to edit or adjust that animation,. then save it as a new master clip. then save it to the browser by dragging

You also have a "Parameters" section for each NLA Track, where you can select or remove the figures body parts, from a list of parts which that NLA track will animate.
    So,. you can Mix different NLA clips,.. on different NLA tracks, ..to animate a single figure,
    for example: one clip controlling the legs, and one clip controlling the upper body, and another clip controlling facial expressions.

Hope it helps

edited December 1969

It's a bit of a lengthy post, but I have written an article regarding customizing your own browser file structure so that you have a catalog of places to save things to, in this case, within you "My Clips" topic at the top of the clips tab. This will make it easier down the road when you decide to save clips for different people and/or things. With precise folders to drag your clips to, the saved names don't have to be so long, so you can read them easier.
    For example, when I used to save everything to the My Clips area alone, I would label my clips: "RT Walk 1", "DT Walk 1", so that I could keep the various clips for each person separated easier. But as time went on, I found that I'd need to use longer names of clips, just to be able to know what they were, and who they were for.

Scrolling over a file name in the browser will reveal its entire title, true. But having a separate folder structure:
    Dartan Walks - included clips > Walk 1, Walk 2, Turn L Arc, Turn L Corner, Turn L Stop, Turn R Arc, Turn R Corner, Turn Right Stop, etc.,

Dartan Expressions - includes clips - Get Out, Hello, Surprise, etc.,

Just a quick example of how a separate place to store clips can truly help, because less information needs to be stored in the clip title.