RAMWolff's SuperSuit creation thread.....

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Yup, still doing it this AM with a fresh boot. I had questions over in Patience Making Clothing thread that may be a clue as to why this is happening but not sure....

Thanks hon

Good, maybe they can help. I don't know what's going on with it.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148
    edited December 1969

Learned to make hidden helper morphs so the cape will now morph and stay smooth with the various Genesis shapes. So far I have the Bruno morphs done as of this morning, total of 12 full body morphs.

Next on to the Generations. Will do mostly the guys, M3, F3, H3, D3 on up and then I'll get to the female shapes when I get my own female morph shapes that I sculpted in ZBrush updated (still not happy with some of the shapes). Those will come afterwards and then I'll create the cape shaping for the Generational's

ERCBrunoBasic-SuperCape.jpg
    1404 x 883 - 492K
    edited December 1969

Well after about a week or so practicing in Blender and working away in Silo 2.2 and ZBrush 4.5 I got the Concentric Circles into the Bodysuit. Ended up having to redo all the mapping and surface zones but I think they are better than ever so well worth it .

Here is a screen shot in DAZ Studio showing my WIP of Big Barda with both of my nipple morphs and areola morph in play. There is NO Sub-D nor Smoothing but there is Push Modifier set at 0.20 % which I like just fine rather than adding more system resources to smoothing and killing poke throughs.

SuperSuit-02-BBardawNipplesON.jpg
    900 x 899 - 692K
    edited April 2013

SO now I'm working on morphs for the SuperSuit. Started out with the Tank Top. Created two morphs for it. One will work pretty well with the suit itself or by itself. It's called TankTopDetails. The second is called TankTopStyle and it's one where the arms and collar zones MUST be turned off for it to look right. I pull and pushed the verts to make it look more like a nicely worn but not overly so Tank Top. It will work fine for the shorts on down.

I am noticing some weird stuff with the UV's so I need to fix that too! *sigh*

TankTopStyle.jpg
    997 x 997 - 157K
    TankTopDetails.jpg
    997 x 997 - 160K
    Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

Upon trying some other maps on the suit I found I was not happy with the UV layout. It's a Pelt layout but it leaves allot to be desired. The stretching and odd curvatures of the mapping in the back, arms and around the bottom of the legs left me with a bad taste in my mouth. So I opened up Ultimate Unwrap 3D and started messing with some of the other UV options. Found that the Planar "2 Sided" option is about the best that I can find so far BUT...

The mapping on the sides is pretty horrendous so hoping a more knowledgeable person of UV mapping can perhaps give me some tips to improve the sides. Screen shots below.

UVSide-YUK.jpg
    499 x 877 - 116K
    UVBack.jpg
    827 x 893 - 216K
    UVFront.jpg
    843 x 892 - 221K
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Need side seams ... and also 'hand to neck' on either side and 'from inside leg 1' to 'from inside leg 2'.
    Then somehow to 'flatten' or 'unfold' it.

How all that's done I only know in Hexagon.

edited December 1969

Are you referring to the UV's or the model hon? Not sure I wanna go back in and start modeling on it again! lol I've reached the "burn out" on this particular piece but really want to get the UV's fixed. I remember another member here taking point by point and moving things around but don't have a clue as to how to do that.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Are you referring to the UV's or the model hon? Not sure I wanna go back in and start modeling on it again! lol I've reached the "burn out" on this particular piece but really want to get the UV's fixed. I remember another member here taking point by point and moving things around but don't have a clue as to how to do that.

Oh the uvs! Unless it's absolutely necessary I don't touch the mesh again once serious making of the uvmaps commences. [because then one has to redo all the uv work]

edited December 1969

Do you think you could whip up a little tutorial for Hexagon on how to UV Map something this big? Another guy on 'Rosity that's trying to help says it's best to break up the UV's and map them differently in order to get a really solid smooth UV to lay out so that maps applied to it do so nicely.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited April 2013

When I make a model I add seams where they would naturally be in a real garment. Then I use UVMapperPro to flatten the pieces out nicely so that textures lay nice and smooth. There are other UVMapper programs that will do the same thing. You can't really UV map a garment properly in one piece.

Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited April 2013

Hmm, well there are seams per say... there are 30 zones and some of the zones are edge looped. Here is a smooshed set of UV's for the suit. These UV's APPEAR to look just fine until you turn the model to the side. But you can see the zones pretty clearly here where the edge loops are.

SuperSuit02b-Smooshed.jpg
    1900 x 1024 - 167K
    edited December 1969

Well if I was making that, I would make a seam at the top of each sleeve where it joins the body, so sleeves are seperate pieces. I would also add a seam along the waist so top and bottom are seperate and then add a seam down the front and back of the legs, so bottom is in two pieces. That way they will lay nice and flat.

edited April 2013

How do you do that in Hex or Silo? Perhaps I can replicate it in my program of choice. I actually have pretty good luck in Silo, doesn't crash like Hex does on me so if you could instruct me that would be great!

Once the seam is made and you resave the obj is it then part of the code for the obj or is this to just unwrap?

I did mess with the suit in Ultimate Unwrap 3D and turned off all the parts except for the legs zone, selected and then tried to unwrap using various methods with undesirable results so gave up! I'm getting sort of circular mapping in parts of the leg while other parts are straight up and down (as desired). I thought it was the crotch that was throwing things off but I didn't include the Shorts nor the Shorts Cuff zones in the attempt with the legs. So was baffled why I couldn't even get the Cylindrical mapping to come out right!

edited December 1969

Here's a thread by someone explaing how to UV map in Hexagon. Hope it helps. There are also several videos about - just google and you should find them.

http://clothingcreations.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=coordinates&action=display&thread=50

edited December 1969

AWESOME. Thanks Wendy!

edited December 1969

OK. I THINK I have the seams about where they need to be.

Here is a screen grab from Ultimate Unwrap3D Pro.

I don't know if I want seams on the front of the suit so did the main Torso/Neck/Hip seam down the back, drew it underneath to where the crotch starts.

Arms are seams around where the sleeves start and then to unwrap did one on each side underneath

Legs are seams around where the shorts end and the leggings start and then seams down the back of each leg.

Does this look like it would give a good unwrap??

SuperSuit-FinishedSeams.jpg
    1160 x 899 - 281K
    edited December 1969

SO this is what I came up with. Not perfect by any means but perhaps it will do for now.... I created a separate shorts seam but not sure if that was the right way to go after all. Can't get them to line up nicely with the leggings. The sleeves are good and the torso is good but again I think I went overboard and separated the collar area of the suit from the torso and it's also not lining up nicely. Sooooo I might redo it again and see if adding the shorts to the leggings and the collar to the torso areas will help make it a nicer layout.

SuperSuitUVSs.jpg
    676 x 687 - 310K
    SuperSuitUVS.jpg
    726 x 829 - 188K
    edited December 1969

Tested the suit as is in DAZ Studio.

I'm def going to try another UV'ing to include the shorts and shorts cuff with the legs and the collar (3 zones) with the shirt and shirt/belt (Torso) zones to see if I can get better mapping.

This looks OK. It's certainly not horrible and the weird crap going on with the legs and sides of the torso are gone (YAY) but this is a learning experience for me and I need to see if it's possible to get this done better.

SSb-MappedMap.jpg
    769 x 966 - 70K
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

You may want to cut the suit in half vertically so you can mirror then flip the UV mapping for perfect symmetry. I would put the seams on the side of torso instead of the back, makes it easier to add emblem or logo to back.

edited December 1969

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I did put the torso seams on the side for sure. Leggings are on the side. I'm still playing around with solutions and will continue till I'm satisfied. Looking pretty good at this point.

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

(Lurker breaking the silence) :)
    Great stuff going on in this thread, RAMWolff. Thanks for sharing.

Just a random thought on the shorts seams. Maybe you could uv-map without the shorts and add the shorts seams in after that. Wouldn't that make them match up with the rest of the pants ?

edited December 1969

Interesting suggestion. I'm very much an old newbie when it comes to UV mapping so I have no idea how to build a UV by hand.

edited December 1969

Pretty much lined up as good as I can get it.

SuperSuit-FinishedUVs-Stripped.jpg
    997 x 997 - 192K
    SuperSuit-FinishedUVs.jpg
    775 x 910 - 67K
    edited December 1969

Cute outfit idea using the zones. Could easily apply a sock material to the shin covers and then put on a pair of sneakers and have soccer outfit. The tank top you see has the two morph I made for the suit applied making it look more relaxed.

SuperSuit-CuteOutfitIdea.jpg
    831 x 946 - 40K
    edited December 1969

OK.... now that I'm mostly satisfied with the UV's on to the fit morphs for the suit. I got all of the Bruno fits and the RAMMuscle fits done (12 total between the two categories) and just completed the Mr. Hyde. I think Mr. Hyde is one of the more unique morphs considering his build and size. I really love what Smay was able to accomplish with the Genesis mesh here so of course I'm going to include fit morphs for him!

Here you see the SuperSuit and the SuperCape fitted. I have another Genesis beside him in the render to so this is at the Mr. Hyde default scale size.

Rich

FitMorphsforMrHyde.jpg
    1047 x 914 - 67K
    edited December 1969

OK... I'm "fitted" out for now. I got all the male fits done that I'm going to do. Other shapes will either come later or folks will have to tweak to make the suit fit. I need to get back to the cape fits at some point since those are kinda important too. Total of 39 fits today. ZBrush was smoking hot by the time I killed the program! lmao

Screen grab of the fits, hope everyone sees some characters they like. I even included both of the male characters from 3D Universe: Sam and Rex! :-)

SuperSuit-MaleFits.jpg
    884 x 692 - 245K
    edited December 1969

Looks Marvell! And yes, I see "a few" fits lol ... [Mr. Hyde is waiting!]

edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply hon. Got more to do but I guess this thread is more of a progress report these days! lol

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Thanks for the reply hon. Got more to do but I guess this thread is more of a progress report these days! lol

Oh that's okay, Mr Hyde isn't going anywhere ;-)

Progress reports are also something we can all learn something from. If nothing else they give people [hopefully] a greater appreciation for the products they do buy and/or get for free.

edited December 1969

I agree. I often wonder how a merchant comes up with ideas and then creates and finishes. I know this thread is getting quite a few views so it's nice to have lurkers interested!

:-)