In the EULA: What is this talking about?

click25060click25060 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I haven't a clue what this part of the EULA is talking about. Does anyone know?

"Notwithstanding the foregoing, DAZ wishes to encourage user expansion of the catalog of Content available to users. Therefore, User may also access, use, copy, and modify the Content stored on such computers in the creation of one or more derived or additional works provided that:
1.any derived or additional works are designed to require or encourage the use of Content available through the online DAZ store either by (i) requiring the use of such Content to function, or (ii) allowing only limited function when not used in conjunction with Content from the online DAZ store; and
2.upon receipt of a written request from DAZ, User will immediately cease any and all distribution of the derived works User has created from the Content licensed from DAZ, if DAZ has determined, at its sole discretion, that (i) the derived work is substantially similar to or is a clone of existing Content; or (ii) the derived work fails to require the use of Content available through the online DAZ store. "

Thanks

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

I suspect this language was added to allow people to create GeoGrafting products without having to beg DAZ for approval first. GeoGrafting requires copying the perimeter vertices of the intended figure where the graft will be placed. Under the old EULA this was expressly forbidden.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

Yes, it is intended to allow the creation of add-ons without eroding DAZ and the PAs' rights to their content.

• click25060click25060 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I guess my confusion is caused because this statement says "Content stored on such computers" This seems to imply any content that I put on my computer including purchased content such as 3d figures, clothing, and the such. Then it seems to restrict the use of said content in the sub parts 1 and 2. All of this seems to contradict being able to produce derivative works from Content unless one is willing to abide by parts 1 and 2:

1.any derived or additional works are designed to require or encourage the use of Content available through the online DAZ store either by (i) requiring the use of such Content to function, or (ii) allowing only limited function when not used in conjunction with Content from the online DAZ store; and
    2.upon receipt of a written request from DAZ, User will immediately cease any and all distribution of the derived works User has created from the Content licensed from DAZ, if DAZ has determined, at its sole discretion, that (i) the derived work is substantially similar to or is a clone of existing Content; or (ii) the derived work fails to require the use of Content available through the online DAZ store.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

It means you may use the content you have licensed and installed on your computer(s) to help you create add-on content, subject to the restrictions listed.

• FuselingFuseling Posts: 242
    edited December 1969

What an excellent idea!