The Feh, Meh, Bah Dragons munched my Classic Car Complaint Thread

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

ps1borg said:
    No diffuse colours in this drop :lol: Just realised there are none at all.
    Hello!! Lo, Lo, lo... Nice Echo though. ;-)
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    I once tried to keep my nose to the grindstone while simultaneously keeping my ear to the ground and shoulder to the wheel. Man. was that ever painful.

Sounds as busy as a one legged butt kicker :lol:

• SnowbugSnowbug Posts: 72
    edited December 1969

Should I just have DAZ install manager install ALL THE THINGS, or should I pick and choose... oh, decisions, decisions.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Rareth said:
    Grump... current Bryce Render is in for the long haul... and its windows update night (scheduled for 12am my time) I do not want this thing going all night and get dumped when the system reboots. (not if, when.. I'm doing a render the computer will have to reboot if I let it go all night)..

Odd...usually Windows updates come on Tuesday nights. Except when there's a special one. I haven't gotten any this week yet.

Dana

MS pushes patches out tuesdays, I have my computer set to do the downloads and installs on Wednesdays nights

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Meh. Rain. Meh. Muggy. Meh. Late buses. Meh. Stayed out way too late for an old loiach.Meh. :blank: :blank:

Happy MEH-Day, everyone! :-S

Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :blank:

@KK: Well, that's good news. And I hope you get well ASAP! :) (chicken soup emote)

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,391
    edited December 1969

Was pretty hungry so I pulled out some frozen seafood dumplings and microwaved them. Sadly, the microwave we have here sucks, so they're partiall frosted in places ><<br /> Still, is tasty and food in my belly so I can't complain

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...a bit late to the party, apologies.

...but still not too late for sending best B'day wishes your way Misty.

Whoops! Me too, so Sorry. BeLated Happy Wishes.

Thank you both!

still haz some ice cream cake leftover.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...a bit late to the party, apologies.

...but still not too late for sending best B'day wishes your way Misty.

Whoops! Me too, so Sorry. BeLated Happy Wishes.

Thank you both!

still haz some ice cream cake leftover.

Eye Scream cake, always tasty, even as a leftover! :) :coolsmile:

• SalvatoreSalvatore Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Meh. Rain. Meh. Muggy. Meh. Late buses. Meh. Stayed out way too late for an old loiach.Meh. :blank: :blank:

I'm trying, I'm trying, but if I'm still sick like this this weekend,,, I'll, I'll I'll, COMPLAIN !!! (again)

edited December 1969

Salvatore said:

I'm trying, I'm trying, but if I'm still sick like this this weekend,,, I'll, I'll I'll, COMPLAIN !!! (again)

Geesh, man, get better soonest! :) :) :)

(chicken soup emote)

edited December 1969

Salvatore said:

Geesh, man, get better soonest! :) :) :)

(chicken soup emote)

Thanks :lol: , chicken soup is a grand idea, starting with a health nurturing attack on flue with batches of fruit, mango time now, I'm into war ! :coolcheese:

edited December 1969

Today's Complaint!

Looks like the sales guys want me to code up a new tool that's better than the competitions.. so, now I have to go from being a so-so C#/.NET programmer into an expert - QUICK! :bug: :ahhh:

So here I am reading the highest-rated book on C#/.NET I could find on Amazon in Kindle format, and my head hurts now. :-S It's a great book, well-written in a good style but it's 1540 PAGES LONG!!! :ahhh: :ahhh:

Headaches the rest of this week, I guess. Grumble grose, meh. :blank:

Non-complaint: this will look amazingly good on my resume! :smirk:

edited December 1969

Today's Complaint!

Looks like the sales guys want me to code up a new tool that's better than the competitions.. so, now I have to go from being a so-so C#/.NET programmer into an expert - QUICK! :bug: :ahhh:

So here I am reading the highest-rated book on C#/.NET I could find on Amazon in Kindle format, and my head hurts now. :-S It's a great book, well-written in a good style but it's 1540 PAGES LONG!!! :ahhh: :ahhh:

they should raise your pay rate. :)

edited December 1969

Today's Complaint!

they should raise your pay rate. :)

:lol: :)

Well, when I changed contracting companies I got a dollar an hour raise, PLUS paid holidays! :bug: Still no medical or vacation, but I'm OK with that. :coolsmile:

I'm gonna need a LOT of cawfee today... :blank:

edited December 1969

Today's Complaint!

I guess the Sales Guys have no clue about software development. (actually no guessing involved..)
    Did they also say they wanted it asap? or were they nice and said you could have till COB tomorrow?

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Today's Complaint!

I guess the Sales Guys have no clue about software development. (actually no guessing involved..)
    Did they also say they wanted it asap? or were they nice and said you could have till COB tomorrow?

It kind of went like this:

Sales Guy: "Hey Ed, since you worked on this other C# app that we're sending out, we'd like to to write another one".
    Me: (thinking OMG, what now?) "Erm, what kind of app?"
    Sales Guy: (hands me a CD) Our main competitor uses this app o show people how their product saves money. We want one just like it, only different, and better."
    Me: (trying not to roll eyes) "Have you talked to my boss yet?"
    Sales Guy: "Yeah, he said give you the app and he'd get back to us."
    Me: "Ok, I'll go look at it."
    (back at my desk I see my boss had emailed me a warning that the sales droid would find me. After a bit he comes over.)
    Boss: "So, what do you think?"
    Me: "Four to eight weeks depending on how fancy they want it. Do they have specs?"
    Boss: "They're clueless. We're going to meet this week about it, I just needed your input so I could have a number to work with."
    Me: "I can't tell you how sorry I am I took over the C# and Perl stuff. No wonder nobody else will touch it, it never ends."
    Boss: "That's why you get the big bucks. I'll have more info next week, but prepare yourself."
    Me: "I'll order more tranquilizers, aspirin, and Tums."
    Boss: "I have aspirin, don't bother with that."
    Me: (grunt)

This is close to verbatim. My boss has a very dry sense of humor, but he's a good person. :-S

edited December 1969

Why are computers so complicated I hate them I am going to abandon all this and go and live on a remote island except that I already live on an island so I will need a smaller island

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Today's Complaint!

Sales Guy: "Hey Ed, since you worked on this other C# app that we're sending out, we'd like to to write another one".
    Sales Guy: (hands me a CD) Our main competitor uses this app o show people how their product saves money. We want one just like it, only different, and better."
    (back at my desk I see my boss had emailed me a warning that the sales droid would find me. After a bit he comes over.)
    Me: "Four to eight weeks depending on how fancy they want it. Do they have specs?"
    Boss: "They're clueless. We're going to meet this week about it, I just needed your input so I could have a number to work with."
    Me: "I can't tell you how sorry I am I took over the C# and Perl stuff. No wonder nobody else will touch it, it never ends."
    Boss: "That's why you get the big bucks. I'll have more info next week, but prepare yourself."

This is close to verbatim. My boss has a very dry sense of humor, but he's a good person. :-S

wow that conversation looks very familiar.. except my boss is the one going I need you to write a script that does X while monitoring y and I need it yesterday..

I think I have stock in Tums.

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:
    Today's Complaint!

wow that conversation looks very familiar.. except my boss is the one going I need you to write a script that does X while monitoring y and I need it yesterday..

Ugh, geesh, sorry to hear that! :down: :-S

Some day I'll take a pic of the top of my work machine - Tums, aspirin, Stress B-Complex vitamins, and a multimeter.

This is not how I visualized my life turning out...

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:
    Today's Complaint!

Ugh, geesh, sorry to hear that! :down: :-S

Some day I'll take a pic of the top of my work machine - Tums, aspirin, Stress B-Complex vitamins, and a multimeter.

This is not how I visualized my life turning out...

well, its not an issue anymore, I had to leave that job due to stress related health concerns, so now I'm looking for a new one, of course all the contractors in the area are on a hiring freeze right now. and I'm not sure I want to jump back into the Govt. Contractor IT rat race.
    been searching for something local and private sector that needs an IT guy..

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,391
    edited December 1969

Hurr hurr a friend showed me this XD

6295095_460s.jpg
    460 x 734 - 54K
  • M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited February 2013

Hehe @Wooly... I'm doing Win32 C# / Lua development at the moment \(^_^)/ (fortunately it's somebody elses framework and I'm just writing plugins...), having come from a previous life in Win32 C++ / Qt. My colleague feels C# is pretty good for writing GUIs in (and there certainly appears to be a decently large "ecosystem" of little C# controls etc out there - GPL, LGPL and otherwise - not as monstrous as the collection of Java controls though O.O). I'm pretty *meh* about C# though, just another OO language for telling the computer what to do - garbage collection, strings, everything's a reference (except for structs), pretty tightly tied into Visual Studio (definitely get them to get you the latest VS, if you don't already have it / are an MSDN subscriber)...

I'm sure you'll pick it up in no time - just break down that other application in terms of dialogs, data flow, threads of processing etc, and whip up a demo for the marketing dept asap (so that they can then provide all the input for how your version is going to be sooo much better than what already exists...). (^_^)d

Post edited by M F M on
    edited February 2013

how come i can see the smilies when i'm logged out, but not when i'm logged in?

smilies make the world and the forum a friendlier place.

how come, sometimes my wishlist linkie disappears?

is it Friday yet?

how come font size doesn't work in siggies?

testing:
    ♫ ♥ cake ♥ π ♥ ♫

Post edited by Mistara on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

I was a Visual FoxPro developer, from 1993 to 2006. Then MS announced they were dropping VFP and wouldn't support it after 2012. Just before I was laid off (company was going out of business). I used to pick up things really fast. Things happened besides being laid off (which was the second time since we bought our house in 2001) and sent me into a depression. As a result, my concentration isn't what it used to be, learning has been strained, and I've been out of work since (2006, just before Christmas). Historically, the xBase languages were very similar, syntactically, to BASIC. And Visual FoxPro had been OOP. So, wanting to remain with MS technology (I like their development tools), I proceeded to get Visual Studio 2005 and tried to learn web development with VB.NET. I have a website that I've been using to learn the stuff. Well, it's come along, but look at the years I've been at it. Not constantly, because things happen and I walk away in frustration and depression and don't touch it for quite a while sometimes. In the meantime, I've been out of work so long that nobody seems to want to even consider me. Web development is quite different from desktop development in VFP. All I needed to know was VFP. Now it seems you need to know a half dozen things at minimum, and every job description seems to want more, and for you to have 5 years experience in all of them (even when some of them haven't been around that long). And the worst part...everybody wants C#. I can look at C# code and understand what it's doing, but writing from scratch is out of the question. I did some C++ once, but that was back in 1991, with Borland C++, DOS-based, didn't get into the Windows side of it. So, that's 22 years ago. I'm starting to work with C# a little on my site, because I have some sample code that is in C#, and a PayPal library for .NET that also is in C#, so I have no choice but to try to get that going. It's fortunate that you can mix VB and C# pages in a .NET web site! They seem so different, though. :-S

Dana

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

Because this site software is so stable! :shut:

Dana

edited February 2013

@ Wooly,, Hilarious !! :coolgrin:

Post edited by Salvatore on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

Because this site software is so stable! :shut:

Dana
    There is nothing more stable than something that sits perfectly still. :)

edited December 1969

M F M said:
    Hehe @Wooly... I'm doing Win32 C# / Lua development at the moment \(^_^)/ (fortunately it's somebody elses framework and I'm just writing plugins...), having come from a previous life in Win32 C++ / Qt. My colleague feels C# is pretty good for writing GUIs in (and there certainly appears to be a decently large "ecosystem" of little C# controls etc out there - GPL, LGPL and otherwise - not as monstrous as the collection of Java controls though O.O). I'm pretty *meh* about C# though, just another OO language for telling the computer what to do - garbage collection, strings, everything's a reference (except for structs), pretty tightly tied into Visual Studio (definitely get them to get you the latest VS, if you don't already have it / are an MSDN subscriber)...

I'm sure you'll pick it up in no time - just break down that other application in terms of dialogs, data flow, threads of processing etc, and whip up a demo for the marketing dept asap (so that they can then provide all the input for how your version is going to be sooo much better than what already exists...). (^_^)d

I'm lucky in that I have a pretty deep background in C++ and some Java to start with, and have pretty much written every kind of app short of aerospace stuff. I ended up taking over a massive C# project when the other contractor bailed, so I know enough to maintain/bugfix but I want/need to know more of C#/.NET than I do, so that this one doesn't turn into the massive, spaghetti-coded, uncommented, poorly structured, 1500-lines-of-IF/THEN/ELSE functions code that I'm having to patch up now! :bug: :bug:

I have a great book, it's just.. meh.. yet another language to learn. So far I'm coding in Perl, C, C++, C#/.NET and PIC assembly language. And I've only been on this contract a year!!! :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh:

Boredom is rare here. When it happens it's usually because I have to do my own testing and some of these products have to sit unmolested for 20-30 minutes before they follow certain code paths. Meh. I read a lot during those times.

I'm not a real Windows guy (much) I'm mostly embedded systems/low-level stuff, but I have to admit .NET lets you belt together a decent GUI with WPF in short order! ;-)

• edited December 1969

snowbug said:
    tjohn said:

Finnish is hard! How do people think in two languages? I can barely manage one. :)

I think in 4 on a regular basis...

I would not recommend anyone trying that unless absolutely necessary, mind you. It's pretty awful when you are trying to communicate in English, but your brain just keeps producing Japanese.

And it's really embarrassing when you can't remember words in your native language...

Oh... To be so accursed... I'd consider it a blessing. ;-P

It isn't like I don't have enough trouble with English, and I'm hopelessly out of practice with French, which I was never that good at to begin with.. :P

How are you at reading and/or writing Japanese? I was wondering if I could run a texture map or three by you in the future to see how badly I mangled the use and order of the Japanese characters? :red:

edited December 1969

7thStone said:

How are you at reading and/or writing Japanese? I was wondering if I could run a texture map or three by you in the future to see how badly I mangled the use and order of the Japanese characters? :red:

I'm not very good at kanji at all beyond the basics, to be honest, but I do have a good kanji dictionary. You can probably find a more knowledgeable person around here somewhere, but if you don't, I don't mind helping with that.

This discussion has been closed.