WIndows update kill Carrara usability

I got a Windows 10 update last night. Since then, Carrara viewport refresh is becoming so slow it cannot be used in any useful way.

I suppose it's linked to the graphic stack.

I've changed the OpenGL tick bock, change the display from OpenGL to software to no avail.

Has anybody encountered this kind of issue and (hopefully) has a workaround?

The graphic card is an Intel 4000, so driver issue doesn't seem the main reason (not a lot of updates this days).

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,888

I have not got Win 10 but maybe needs the compatibility mode run again

• Thank you Wendy, I'll try that but yesterday, before the update, I was already in Windows10 (been for months) and everything was fine.

• pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70

I just got that update last night too. Windows 10 Pro box with an nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 and I don't see any discernable slowdown in the viewport, but I'll keep observing with different scene files.    

Sorry I'm not more help.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,235
    edited April 2017

I'll check as soon as I can. I have that same graphics solution on my laptop (Win10/64 bit)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

Been using Windows 10 since day one, no issues with Carrara yet.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701

I had a similar problem before. Carrara would t work unless I right-click on the Carrara icon, choose Properties, then checked, under Compatibility, compatibility with Windows 7.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

Cue the "Jaws" shark theme.  

I've seen many comments about the future of Carrara with newer versions of Windows, given DAZ' evident abandonment of Carrara.  This may be the first foreshock.  My plan is to keep my "custom built with sturdy components Win7 machine" running with help from the local builder.

An aside - the Jaws theme was composed by multi-Oscar composer John Williams.  Director Steven Spielberg, in his mid-20's and on his first big budget film, complained that it was too ... simple.  He later admitted that the music was at least half the movie.  So directors direct and composers compose.  The Shark Theme may be the most recognizable music on the planet.  Reportedly even the sharks swim around humming it.  surprise

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,888

its my biggest fear that one day Carrara will stop working

I intend keeping this PC win7 and eventually offline when support ceases for that reason.

Not just Carrara, many programs no longer supported.

By then I should have a kickass machine for other stuff.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I installed Carrara in April last year on Windows 10 from the very beginning and it works fine.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Still works on a Mac too . . . wink

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

On my imac sierra it works fine too.smiley

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Windows updates are notorious for replacing graphics drivers. Reinstall the latest drivers for your video card.

• Thank you to all of you for your answers.

Unfortulately, playing with the compatibility mode or reinstalling the latest graphic driver didn't solve the issue :-(

Fortunaltely, I'm in the process of setting up my new laptop and the problem is on my old one.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    th3Digit said:

its my biggest fear that one day Carrara will stop working

Be afraid. Be very afraid.