Low Poly People. Full Tutorial in 4 parts.

Comments

• zaintczaintc Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

zaintc said:
    The problem with all this is that Daz and Iclone seem to be in some type of secret plan, check out Reallusion site, they seem to some how resolve this issue and seem to be the ones to not have any issue with import of Daz characters and daz fully supports them as well, why is that?
    http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/3dx/3dx_features_character.aspx

I think you are talking apples and pears here. If you want to use iclone to make limited animations then that is great. If you want to use a full 3d package to make huge animations then carrara is good enough.

Here is the proof.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI7EFSkju6o
    If some one can explain why carrara wont let me use the daz characters I want to use and not be forced to find ones that work or how to lower the poly count via decimation etc. I still dont know why daz supports iclone so much? I know Carrara is beter than iclone, yet iclone seems to allow any character I make to work with little to no hassles.

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited January 2014

zaintc said:

If some one can explain why carrara wont let me use the daz characters I want to use and not be forced to find ones that work or how to lower the poly count via decimation etc. I still dont know why daz supports iclone so much? I know Carrara is beter than iclone, yet iclone seems to allow any character I make to work with little to no hassles.

Just to make sure we are on the same page here is a quick guide to using Daz characters in Carrara.

FULL RESOLUTION:
    (Please note I haven't bothered with Genesis in Carrara yet - someone else needs to assist there)
    1. Use and Gen 3 or Gen 4 figure (e.g. Michael 3 or 4).
    2. Use your POSER runtime - not the daz runtime. Carrara is poser compatible.

LOW POLY:
    There are some daz figures out there that are low poly. The best oens are Gen 3 compatible by Predatron imho.
    http://www.daz3d.com/lorenzo-lorez

If you want to go REAL low in your poly count then my tutorial series is the kind of thing you want to do, but this is off the support map as the figures are not poser characters any more (the poser characters carry a memory overhead)).

Good luck.

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
    edited December 1969

zaintc said:

Just to make sure we are on the same page here is a quick guide to using Daz characters in Carrara.

FULL RESOLUTION:
    (Please note I haven't bothered with Genesis in Carrara yet - someone else needs to assist there)

LOW POLY:
    There are some daz figures out there that are low poly. The best oens are Gen 3 compatible by Predatron imho.

If you want to go REAL low in your poly count then my tutorial series is the kind of thing you want to do, but this is off the support map as the figures are not poser characters any more (the poser characters carry a memory overhead)).

Good luck.

I have v5 and M5 are they too high in poly count and wil I have to just use v3/4 m3/4

edited January 2014

zaintc said:

FULL RESOLUTION:

LOW POLY:

Good luck.

Are you referring to import or using the daz content in Carrara an assembling the character there
    I also installed m4/V4 yet for some reason I am to see it in the content library of daz, I was going to see if I could load it carrara

Post edited by zaintc on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

zaintc said:
    zaintc said:

FULL RESOLUTION:

LOW POLY:

Good luck.

Are you referring to import or using the daz content in Carrara an assembling the character there
    I also installed m4/V4 yet for some reason I am to see it in the content library of daz, I was going to see if I could load it carrara

From what I have read, Genesis is a bit of a different animal depending on the version, and no, I don't use Genesis or C8.5. I use C7.2 Pro and it plays very nicely with the Gen 3 and Gen4 figures, such as M3, V3, M4, A4, V4, etc. They work best when loaded from the Content browser, which reads Poser style runtimes. If you have C8.5, I suppose you could import them using DUF, but why?

edited December 1969

zaintc said:
    zaintc said:

FULL RESOLUTION:

LOW POLY:

Good luck.

From what I have read, Genesis is a bit of a different animal depending on the version, and no, I don't use Genesis or C8.5. I use C7.2 Pro and it plays very nicely with the Gen 3 and Gen4 figures, such as M3, V3, M4, A4, V4, etc. They work best when loaded from the Content browser, which reads Poser style runtimes. If you have C8.5, I suppose you could import them using DUF, but why?

The simple answer is I am use to how Studio works and there are no videos on how to use the content in Carrara like for Studio
    or how to adjust the shape morphs, etc i Carrara otherwise I agree there is not reason to use Sudio. I have the VTC videos for C7 pro yet it doesnt expand on certain things

edited December 1969

I just came across this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiuDMjBVX5o
    Ill keep looking

edited December 1969

I am trying to use the content library and the smart content library in Carrara, I dont see the shaders for the super suit and are the Parameters the replacemt for the body morphs? In studio I am able to change iris with a color or a shader I dont see how to do this as well

edited December 1969

Zaintc.

Yes M3/M4 gen figures via your POSER content library do not need to be imported, you define the library to carrara and just select Items as required. i.e. similar to daz. Parameters are all there you just need to drill down (expand) the model when it is in the scene.

In this respect Carrara is very similar to DAZ and was the reason I upgraded from Daz to Carrara (I could use my poser content, it was similar and the lighting was much better).

edited December 1969

Zaintc.

Yes M3/M4 gen figures via your POSER content library do not need to be imported, you define the library to carrara and just select Items as required. i.e. similar to daz. Parameters are all there you just need to drill down (expand) the model when it is in the scene.

In this respect Carrara is very similar to DAZ and was the reason I upgraded from Daz to Carrara (I could use my poser content, it was similar and the lighting was much better).

I feel Carrara Parameters remind me of Poser, sliders instead of knobs
    edited December 1969

Zaintc.

I saw your animation video, do you have tutorials for Carrara?
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited January 2014

zaintc said:

It needs updating, but here's a list of Steve's tutorials that I have compiled. At the bottom of the post, there are links to his YouTube pages, where you may find what has not been updated at any given day.

Sci Fi Funk Videos

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

zaintc said:

It needs updating, but here's a list of Steve's tutorials that I have compiled. At the bottom of the post, there are links to his YouTube pages, where you may find what has not been updated at any given day.

Sci Fi Funk Videos
    Ok, Thank you all for your help. This will give me a good start!

edited December 1969

zaintc said:

Sci Fi Funk Videos

This alone is worth the price of admission!!!
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/256290/

edited December 1969

I saw something for Unity, is any one using it for anime or just gaming. I saw a reel on what it can do...

edited December 1969

Well done Dartan. That list is mighty impressive!

See what a helpful bunch we are! Come on the Carrara people!

edited December 1969

Well done Dartan. That list is mighty impressive!

See what a helpful bunch we are! Come on the Carrara people!

What is the best way to animate in Carrara Puppetteer/aniblocks and do I need to create a control rig to do so
    edited December 1969

I have the characters already from studio imported into Carrara the file size varies from 45,000kb to 245,000kb how can I reduce the file size to use in multiple character scenes

edited December 1969

Can anyone tell me why they removed decimator from studio 4.6 and now charge 100.00?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Because they are giving DAZ Studio away for free now, and Decimator is a 3rd party plug in that was included with the previous paid for version, and can not be given away for free.

If you paid for DAZ Studio 4+ before it went free, then you should already have Decimator.

edited January 2014

I bought it so I have it on mine. Although I still haven't used it for real, I did a quick experiment - it is definitely what it says! Totally worth it if you want to make decimated clothed characters!

Here is the DAZ 3D YouTube for Pupeteer in Carrara: Carrara 8 Pupeteer

And for aniBlock Importer: aniBlock Importer for DAZ Carrara by GoFigure Tutorial by Jonny Bravo!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Hey Dart, your URL tags are all screwy!

edited December 1969

Hey Dart, your URL tags are all screwy!
    You mean where I forgot the 'l' in url? Thanks man! Fixed it!
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Because they are giving DAZ Studio away for free now, and Decimator is a 3rd party plug in that was included with the previous paid for version, and can not be given away for free.

If you paid for DAZ Studio 4+ before it went free, then you should already have Decimator.

If I remember correctly the last 2 to 3 version were free, I have 4.5 with decimator and it was free, I will prob put that version back on then
    edited December 1969

I bought it so I have it on mine. Although I still haven't used it for real, I did a quick experiment - it is definitely what it says! Totally worth it if you want to make decimated clothed characters!

Here is the DAZ 3D YouTube for Pupeteer in Carrara: Carrara 8 Pupeteer

And for aniBlock Importer: aniBlock Importer for DAZ Carrara by GoFigure Tutorial by Jonny Bravo!

I saw those videos as well thank you
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2014

zaintc said:
    chohole said:

If I remember correctly the last 2 to 3 version were free, I have 4.5 with decimator and it was free, I will prob put that version back on then

afaik you need the serial number for decimator to work, and that only came with the paid for version. I have DS 3 4 4.5 and 4.6 serial numbers, but no serial number for Decimator, because I have never had a paid for version of DS.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Daz promoting iclone?
    http://www.daz3d.com/3d/3d-animation

edited December 1969

Ok I had to go back to DS 4.5 to use the free version of decimator, I am not quite sure what its doing. I saw some people speak of LOD what is this and what does it mean

edited December 1969

Level
    Of
    Detail

We can use LOD automatically in Carrara if we use a figure that has LOD copies for such use. You load in each degree of LOD that you have and tell the software when to switch to each version due to camera distance. The thing is, I think that Carrara is already pretty darned smart about how it handles objects in the distance - and renders them out quite quickly.

The other cool thing about Decimator, beyond just making LOD's, is that you can make a decimated figure that is all clothed, with hair and everything, basically making sort of a gaming character. Decimation is the act of decreasing the amount of polygons in a given model. Some software are better than others at getting good results from this. Decimator looked to me to do an outstanding job of it - and it also allows us to do it to the whole figure, including everything that you've added to that figure - which should be really useful. Like if you have characters that don't need to be super high resolution, and they always wear the same costumes, you could decimate them and use them in your animations. That's why I bought it. I just haven't got to that stage in the game yet. Not sure I ever will. But when it comes time to making a bunch of low poly village folks, I might just have to get some Decimating practice in! :)
    I think there's a DAZ 3D YouTube video explaining the Decimator too.

edited December 1969

Level
    Of
    Detail

We can use LOD automatically in Carrara if we use a figure that has LOD copies for such use. You load in each degree of LOD that you have and tell the software when to switch to each version due to camera distance. The thing is, I think that Carrara is already pretty darned smart about how it handles objects in the distance - and renders them out quite quickly.

The other cool thing about Decimator, beyond just making LOD's, is that you can make a decimated figure that is all clothed, with hair and everything, basically making sort of a gaming character. Decimation is the act of decreasing the amount of polygons in a given model. Some software are better than others at getting good results from this. Decimator looked to me to do an outstanding job of it - and it also allows us to do it to the whole figure, including everything that you've added to that figure - which should be really useful. Like if you have characters that don't need to be super high resolution, and they always wear the same costumes, you could decimate them and use them in your animations. That's why I bought it. I just haven't got to that stage in the game yet. Not sure I ever will. But when it comes time to making a bunch of low poly village folks, I might just have to get some Decimating practice in! :)
    I think there's a DAZ 3D YouTube video explaining the Decimator too.

I must be doing something wrong, when I use the decimator, the file size got larger