SAV's Kouros Expansion pack by RAMWorks for DS 4.5 IS HERE!!

RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
edited June 2012 in Freebies

It's here, RAMS Kouros pack:

URL: http://www.ramwolffsworld.com/3D_Directory/Packs/RAMSKourosPack.zip

ReadMe file:

You can find Kouros hair by StudioArtVartanian here:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/kouros-hair/89981

This is an expansion pack for the hair created and shared freely from RAMWorks Studios':

"RAMS Kouros"

This works ONLY IN DAZ STUDIO 4.5 and up. If you are prolific in Poser and wish to convert these to share please notify me to let me know your intentions and desires. You can find me on the DAZ3D forums most of the time, PM's are fine or post in the freebie thread for this pack on the DAZ forums.

Usage Rights:
You may use these material mats for personal and commercial RENDERS. This expansion is free and is to remain free. Please respect this!! Also please do not assume that it's OK to use the textures for other packs, free or paid for, this is NOT OK! If I find that these textures have been used without my consent in any way other than their intended use (for this pack) I will take action!!

The pack contains 23 hair colors ranging from blonds to blacks and funky colors like Oceanic and Fire to name a couple all created by hand by me. There are also 23 pin and gem color combinations making use of the textures included with the Kouros Hair pack. It's amazing what can be accomplished using surfaces channels. There is also a desaturated copy of the scalp texture from the original pack included WITH PERMISSION from the creator/merchant of Kouros Hair so my textures look their very best.

If you wish to convert the main hair to Genesis, which is what I did, you can easily achieve this using the Transfer tool. Steps follow:

1: Load up Genesis, in the Scene tab click on an empty space to deselect Genesis
2: Load up Kouros Hair from your Poser Runtime "Character" folder. I loaded up the M4 version!
3: In the Scene tab there is a little box up at the right corner with lines through it, click that. Down where it says Edit > Convert Figure to Weight Mapping and leave at the Default TriAx
4: Scene tab menu again, Assets > Transfer Utility. Now for the fun.
a: Source: Scene Item: Genesis
Item Shape: Clone, a dialog will pop up, choose Michael 4 (or Victoria 4 depending on which version of Kouros hair you decided to load up)
b: Target: Scene Item: Kouros Hair
Item Shape: Default (leave this setting alone for this transfer)
5: Projection Template: Hair> Long

Show Options, click this to expand

6: Leave all checked that's checked but also check "Reverse Source Shape From Target" and "Add Smoothing Modifier"
7: Click: Accept and let it run.

Once this is finished then you need to save this out as a .duf file.

8: File> Save As> Support Asset fly out and choose the top most item in the menu: Figure/Prop Assets
9: Save dialog will come up.
a: Name the Vendor Name: SAV
b: Name the Product Name: KourosHair
c: Leave the "Item Name" filled in as it is!
10: Click Accept.

I've included a copy of the original png for the saved hair in the My Library:People:Genesis:Hair:SAV:Kouros Hair folder. This is where you want to save the converted hair so you don't have to go hunting around for it. In the sub folder is the Materials folder where my presets for the hair are as well!

Hope that helps.

Please enjoy my work as I had a blast making these for you.

Best,
Richard (RAMWolff, Wolffie) :coolsmirk:

KourosPinSets.jpg
790 x 785 - 173K
Kouros03.jpg
790 x 529 - 107K
Kouros02.jpg
790 x 800 - 146K
Kouros01.jpg
790 x 797 - 139K
Post edited by RAMWolff on

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969

Very very nice - love the fire one the most.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited December 1969

Thanks. Fire would be good for say Dark Phoenix or something fantasy like. I had ALLOT of fun making these. If I get good feedback I'll be doing some more SAV hairs as I really love her realistic strands and movements she incorporates into her hair props! Transferring to Genesis was a snap with the updated Transfer tool for DS 4.5. I have all the movement morphs and fits most shapes you can come up with. :-)

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

really really nice :)

• ioanna72ioanna72 Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Amazing work .Richard!!!
    Fantastic expansion, and very creative!!!
    thank you:)

edited June 2012

Your very welcome Jo. It's the least I can do to support your fabulous work. Never have enough time to play but made time for this set. Checked out a couple of your other sets and was wondering off hand which ones you think use similar UV's to expand on them so I can see if I've converted them or if they are convertible (hr2's don't convert with the transfer tool, as of yet and is kind of a bummer since your Volg and Greek Fantasy hairs are both hr2! I WOULD LOVE to have these for Genesis! ). .

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

hr2 hairs aren't conforming, so there's nothing for the transfer utility to do. Scale and rotate as needed and use smoothing to eliminate poke-through.

edited December 1969

I realize that! ;-)

• Eric WaltersEric Walters Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

Cool!

• CauriBCauriB Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    (hr2's don't convert with the transfer tool, as of yet and is kind of a bummer since your Volg and Greek Fantasy hairs are both hr2! I WOULD LOVE to have these for Genesis! ). .

They convert with a little trick. Load your hr2, unparent it if necessary. then click on it and convert it to a figure( Edit -> Object -> Rigging), please uncheck "remove source prop" as we need it to transfer the morphs. When this is done you will have two objects, the original and an unshaded figure. To transfer the morphs use the transfer tool and use your original as the source and the new figure as target. uncheck everything but "morphs" and in the submenu check "source morphs". Now all you have to do is copy the materials and convert your new figure to genesis the way you discribed in your first post. I usually delete the original and remove the prefix Figure_ before saving it to my Runtime.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Awesome! Thanks, Richard!!

edited December 1969

CauriB said:
    RAMWolff said:
    (hr2's don't convert with the transfer tool, as of yet and is kind of a bummer since your Volg and Greek Fantasy hairs are both hr2! I WOULD LOVE to have these for Genesis! ). .

They convert with a little trick. Load your hr2, unparent it if necessary. then click on it and convert it to a figure( Edit -> Object -> Rigging), please uncheck "remove source prop" as we need it to transfer the morphs. When this is done you will have two objects, the original and an unshaded figure. To transfer the morphs use the transfer tool and use your original as the source and the new figure as target. uncheck everything but "morphs" and in the submenu check "source morphs". Now all you have to do is copy the materials and convert your new figure to genesis the way you discribed in your first post. I usually delete the original and remove the prefix Figure_ before saving it to my Runtime.

Oh totally cool. Wondering what I was going to do today... I think I'll give this a try. I'm tired of bitching about the DAZ web site .... worn out, tuckered out, done! maybe lmao :P

edited December 1969

Hmmm. you mentioned "Edit > Object > Rigging" Not seeing that option. What menu is this under? I've looked at the Edit drop down menu in the main UI and I've looked under the Scene tab Edit options.. not seeing that at all. Please let me know! Thanks!

• CauriBCauriB Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Hmmm. you mentioned "Edit > Object > Rigging" Not seeing that option. What menu is this under? I've looked at the Edit drop down menu in the main UI and I've looked under the Scene tab Edit options.. not seeing that at all. Please let me know! Thanks!

I use DAZ 4.0 Pro. I attached an image of the menu. Maybe they got rid of it in DAZ 4.5.
    Sorry for answering that late.

Untitled-1.jpg
    600 x 406 - 36K
    edited June 2012

Thanks. Yea, seems so. I created a tutorial in the Commons since I got it figured out.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1866/

• edited December 1969

CauriB said:
    RAMWolff said:

I'm not using DS 4.5, just the latest version of 4.0.

Could you please expand on that method?

I take it you have to transfer the morphs one at a time, but how?
    I tested this with the Posh hair for V4 (also known as Classic bob), converted it to a weight mapped figure (it had a hip bone then).
    Next using the Transfer Utility I selected the original hair as the Source, the new figure hair as the Target.
    Then I picked a morph from the Source section, made sure Morph Targets was ticked and it went through all the motions, but I couldn't find the morph on the new figure, not in the main object nor the hip bone.

I did try Auto-fitting the hair so it'd make all the bones and then tried transferring the morphs but that didn't work either.

It's possible I've not ticked the correct box, misunderstood or done something stupid, lack of sleep and all that...

edited December 1969

ICM... please see this link to a tutorial I wrote based on CauriB's information: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1866/
    Oh, I see your still using 4.0. Things have changed a little bit between 4.0 to 4.5. No you don't have to move the morphs one by one. The method retains the morphs.

• edited December 1969

I can't seem to get it working, just tried it with the long ponytail Girl4 hair
    Looks like I'll have to wait for the stable release of DS4.5.

edited December 1969

4.5 is allot more stable for me than 4.0.XX was.... I guess some of the plugins don't work but ALL the plugins that come loaded with DAZ Studio Pro do so I'm fine with switching to 4.5.

• edited December 1969

Found it!
    The option was there, it's just not where I expected it to be.
    Where the tick box is for "Morph Targets" down the left hand side, you need to click on the actual text label "Morph Targets" to get the extra options to show on the right side.

It seems a kind of odd way doing so, I didn't expect to have to click on what looks like a label, makes me wonder what other options I've not seen yet... must explore some more.

So yes, I've converted a few prop style .hr2 files now and all is well.
    Now I need to work out how to stop some prop conversions twisting out of shape when fitted.

As for upgrading, I find DS4 stable enough really, I only have a couple of quirks with it which I can work around, such as remembering not to set two objects smoothing modifiers to collide with each other - Instant crash!
    The other is a free shader to simulate a dry or wet tanned look, it wipes out the image maps (even when you set the map replacement to Ignore) and when you reassign them it has a tendency to crash, but once assigned it's stable.
    I don't know if it's a bug in the shader or DS that causes it, I know nothing about how to use the shader builder to fix it.

I use the extended Dynamic Cloth control plugin a lot with the V4 dynamic bodysuit to create custom fit morphs for other clothes so I won't go upgrading until I know that'll work in DS4.5.
    it's a weird trick but it creates a much more realistic fit, no more of the shrink wrap look.

There's so much to find hidden away in DS4 really, so many tricks and techniques you can come up with by using options and tools in ways I don't think they where intended for.

Sorry for derailing your thread, got carried away :)

edited December 1969

It's OK... very glad you found the morphs! The conversion doesn't remove them at all but yes, getting used to where things are in the parameters tab if your coming from DS 3 or even Poser can be very annoying! lol