WIP THREAD FOR NEW USERS CONTEST, February 2013.

Comments

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

You could create your own mini terrain object and use the terrain editor to literally paint the cracks and other textures where you want them?
    Then you're not depending too much on a texture applied to a smooth surface which in close up can (as you've found out) look less than realistic.

Thought about that but I'm not competent with Bryce at all, which is why this contest has piqued my interest. I've already learned quite a lot about the materials.

Am struggling with terrain too. Want to make a nice reasonably flat terrain (but not a ground plane) for close up view but I'm really not having any luck. Will be playing with this a lot!

OK well I'd say this was a bit beyond what I'd expect to confront a beginner with but since you said you have already leaned quite a lot about materials you can maybe get more from this than most.

Bryce 10 minute material project - grey rock with some cracks - a tutorial by David Brinnen

I've tried to keep it short, but expect in your own experiments to spend at least an hour faffing around with the DTE components. That's what happens to me anyway.

Let us know how you get on.
    That's tremendous, David, thank you so much.

I was along the right lines, but I wasn't using half the features you've shown me so it didn't look anything like a decent rock. I had the three procedurals working, the first averaged, the second set to Maximum, but I didn't know how to use the octaves, frequencies, nor exactly what the filter did, though I'd played with it almost randomly and was getting SOME idea. This makes it a lot clearer and I will be squirrelling away all afternoon now!

Thanks again,
    Barry.

• kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the tutorial. I've been unable to find my very beat up and abused printed out copy of the Bryce 5 manual, which means I can never keep straight what does what in the DTE. I love it in there, but without something to remind me exactly what all the different filters do, all I can do is experiment without much structure, if you know what I mean. But this tutorial helps a lot. Thanks again!

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the tutorial. I've been unable to find my very beat up and abused printed out copy of the Bryce 5 manual, which means I can never keep straight what does what in the DTE. I love it in there, but without something to remind me exactly what all the different filters do, all I can do is experiment without much structure, if you know what I mean. But this tutorial helps a lot. Thanks again!

You are welcome.

If you check out Bryce tutorials you will find there are tutorials by me dedicated to all the different noise, phase and filter elements of the DTE.

http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html

Might help for want of a manual.

Image1.jpg
    659 x 747 - 309K
    edited December 1969

Thanks! I confess, I haven't been through all your video tutorials yet. I've always had better luck with actual printed words in front of me. But I'm adapting. :) I probably should have made the switch ages ago. After all, the cats can't steal and play with a video tutorial. Or lay down on it, or make me spill tea on it... You get the picture.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Here's my WIP for the contest so far. Still lots of work to do, especially with the background stuff.

Thanks to David, I've got nicer rocks now, though they are very different to the ones in his tutorial, I used the same method, slightly different styles.

I know there are many issues with this pic, such as the background being too low poly, and the grasses needing repositioning, but any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Barry.

Contest1.jpg
    1689 x 1035 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Thanks! I confess, I haven't been through all your video tutorials yet. I've always had better luck with actual printed words in front of me. But I'm adapting. :) I probably should have made the switch ages ago. After all, the cats can't steal and play with a video tutorial. Or lay down on it, or make me spill tea on it... You get the picture.

There are also written tutorials on Bryce tutorials if you would rather. I don't know how printer friendly they are but bear in mind, what is true for Bryce 5 materials and DTE is 95% true for Bryce 7 pro. And anything newer, well you'll just have to put up with me bimbling on.

edited December 1969

Here's my WIP for the contest so far. Still lots of work to do, especially with the background stuff.

Thanks to David, I've got nicer rocks now, though they are very different to the ones in his tutorial, I used the same method, slightly different styles.

I know there are many issues with this pic, such as the background being too low poly, and the grasses needing repositioning, but any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Barry.

It is better that you've made the rocks your own. And now you have got something cobbled together, I'd suggest some lighting experiments. Remember to have sun/moon shadows set at 100%. Watch out for any ambience. Make careful adjustment to fog/haze (this counts as lighting since it adds into the light) don't have skydome colour unless you are sure you really want it. Try a HDRI made from the sky maybe? And add the sun back in for a key light. That kind of thing.

edited December 1969

Thanks,
    Barry.

Here this might help Bryce 25 minutes on landscape lighting basics - working with legacy skies - by David Brinnen

Lake1.jpg
    1364 x 751 - 455K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

ok somemore progress on the Cabin scene (I think). changed the sky, tweaked lighting, added some haze to try and get a bit more depth to the background. Added Victoria, (she's on the porch) not sure if she should be moved into the foreground more and off to one side of the camera, I need to play round with it more.

Here is what I have so far..

Bryce-cabin-1a.jpg
    800 x 400 - 293K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    ok somemore progress on the Cabin scene (I think). changed the sky, tweaked lighting, added some haze to try and get a bit more depth to the background. Added Victoria, (she's on the porch) not sure if she should be moved into the foreground more and off to one side of the camera, I need to play round with it more.

Looking very good, the grass is convincing in the foreground now you have more light.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Looking very good, the grass is convincing in the foreground now you have more light.

it's from your grass tutorial.. with much tweaking

http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/realistic-grass-terrains.html

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Rareth, that's looking very good! :) The lighting is much improved, and I love the grass and your choice of sky.

Barry, that's a beautiful scene...I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops from there.

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,118
    edited December 1969

missing bryce 5 manual
    I just downloaded one here in about 1 minute and I have slow net
    http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/A/man-migrate/MANUAL000055991.pdf

• Jeanval LabJeanval Lab Posts: 13
    edited February 2013

Here I've made a short tutorial demonstrating the copy and paste trick and how it could be useful.

Bryce "Nuts and Bolts" - a useful copy and paste trick - a tutorial by David Brinnen

I have viewed your tutorial that is very interesting but... it doesn't work with my scene. Bryce crashes at the final step when i paste the trees.

I have make some tests to understand why and the reason is that my trees are instanced (I have used the instancing lab to create my forest). Even i create an instance with only 3 trees, Bryce crashes. Instances just can't be copied/pasted.

So, i have thought about a different way to proceed and i have used the "merge" command :

1. starting from my scene with the trees that i've renamed "new_user_contest_1.br7"
    2. I create a group with all my trees (instances and original trees) and select it
    3. File>Save
    4. Edit>Invert selection
    5. Delete to keep only the trees
    6. File>Save as... "forest.br7" (i give a meaningful name to get back it easely)
    7. File>Open... "new_user_contest_1.br7" to get back the original scene
    8. be sure the group of trees is selected and delete it
    9. File>Save as... "new_user_contest_02.br7"
    10. Modify the Sky lab and when it's finish save it into the Sky lab preset
    11. File>Merge... "forest.br7"

Now, i've got my scene with the trees at the same place as the original scene that i can render.
    If the result of the rendering don't satisfy me, i can just delete the group of tree and continous to modify the Sky lab and re-merge the trees when finish.
    But now, the problem (a very strange problem) is that if i save my file, it's saved with the Sky lab informations of the file "forest.b7" (those informations are probably merge with the trees, but i don't understand why i can make my render with the other sky). That is the reason why i have savde the sky at step 10 : to reload it before i save the final scene.

Well, it's a little bit complicated, but i don't see an other way to proceed.
    What did you think about this ?

The result of my first study of the Sky lab using the IBL :

new_user_contest_4.jpg
    850 x 424 - 120K
    Post edited by Jeanval Lab on
    edited December 1969

alanbard said:
    missing bryce 5 manual
    I just downloaded one here in about 1 minute and I have slow net
    http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/A/man-migrate/MANUAL000055991.pdf

Hey, thanks! Hadn't even thought to look for it online. It's somewhere in my old computer, but the graphics card is about shot on that one so I never turn it on. Guess I have no more excuses now. :)
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

I made another one. W.I.P

comments are welcome

beer_boot.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 407K
  • dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks,
    Barry.

Hello there,

I think you can benefit from tweaking the sky a little bit more. It looks for me from the purple-blue cast that you might have colour perspective turned on, which isn't overly great at default settings. I'd suggest giving the haze pale blueish-greenish colour and tweaking perspective colour to be more balanced. It will instantly bring more realism to your sky. Here's the comparison for you where only the haze settings were changed.

As an addition I always encourage some postwork - at lease some basic colour/contrast/saturation corrections.

4_postpro.png
    450 x 300 - 162K
    4_user_haze.png
    450 x 300 - 252K
    4_default_haze.png
    450 x 300 - 281K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

I'm already liking your entry, grass looks great, but overall image feels empty from the composition point of view. I'm curious to know what direction will you take this image to, but if I were to decide I'd add several sheeps closed in wooden fence ;) Just an idea

edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    I made another one. W.I.P

comments are welcome

I like the lighting you've used in this image. It looks good, well thought and feels quite completed for me. One thing that bugs me a little is the composition or scale - the mountain behind the bears is quite steep for such a small formation. Another thing I might suggest is lowering the amplitude and/or coverage of clouds and their frequency a little bit or using real volumetric clouds instead.

edited February 2013

Jivhet said:

Well, it's a little bit complicated, but i don't see an other way to proceed.
    What did you think about this ?

The result of my first study of the Sky lab using the IBL :

The current sun direction (midday, quite high) flattens the image. Moving it to left or right and lowering will make shadows to appear and be more contrasty and interesting imho.

Post edited by dwsel on
  • spmwcspmwc Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

Hi, I am new to Bryce. This is my first render using Bryce7 Pro. I messed around with the lighting(after watching David's video) even though I was still not confident in what I was doing or if it helped the render at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!!!!:P

mountain_ruins5.jpg
    1114 x 765 - 422K
    edited December 1969

I did some chances.
    Dwsel you’re right about the mountain so I chanced that and give it fully snow
    I scale the bears so that it fit more in the scene (polar bears are big bears)
    About the sky, I don’t know if this is volumetric clouds.
    I think it looks better now.

Comments are welcome.

pool_beer.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 303K
    edited February 2013

Sasje said:
    I did some chances.

Comments are welcome.

Looks great to me...nice work! :) I don't know enough about Bryce to recommend something specific, but I wonder if there's some way to make the bears' fur look more lifelike?

Oh, I did really like that mountain you had before, but I agree that it wasn't right for this scene.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

spmwc said:
    Hi, I am new to Bryce. This is my first render using Bryce7 Pro. I messed around with the lighting(after watching David's video) even though I was still not confident in what I was doing or if it helped the render at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!!!!:P

It's looking good so far for a first try with Bryce.

Do you have any ideas whwere you want to take it now ?

edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    I did some chances.

Comments are welcome.

Looks great to me...nice work! :) I don't know enough about Bryce to recommend something specific, but I wonder if there's some way to make the bears' fur look more lifelike?

Oh, I did really like that mountain you had before, but I agree that it wasn't right for this scene.
    Thank you Scott

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439
    edited December 1969

I don't know anything about Bryce just really am enjoying what people are coming up with.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    Sasje said:
    I did some chances.

Comments are welcome.

Thank you Scott

Not much to use in Bryce for fur, displacement is a bit iffy to use still. If I want nice furry fur I must admit I nor,ally do that in post.

edited December 1969

BWSman said:

Well, I'm hardly the most qualified person to answer this, but you've inspired me to try to figure it out! :)

Here's what I did:
    1. Create>terrain
    2. Scaled up the terrain
    3. Clicked on the "E" to edit the terrain
    4. Used the Raise/Lower control to first raise the terrain until it looks like a plateau
    5. Then used the same control to lower it
    6. Dampened it to make the cliffs steeper
    7. Used the "Eroded" control to erode it
    8. Added some noise.
    8. Back in Camera view, lifted it up a bit (moved it on the y axis)
    9. Clicked on the "M" for materials and changed the material to Pro Materials>Terrains>Volcanic Island
    10. I also changed the default sky to something else, and added a water texture to the ground plane. Also used HDRI in the Sky lab.
    11. Moved the camera to an appropriate angle

This certainly isn't the only way to do it...and I'm pretty sure it's not the best way...but it is a way.

Here's how it turned out...no HDRI or anything fancy. :)

cliffs1.jpg
    800 x 400 - 91K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Time permitting I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have. And if they are particularly good/challenging/interesting, and again - time permitting - I'll try and make a short video to highlight my answer.

David, just wanted to say thank you for all that you do to help- I am just starting out using the Studio so don't have time to tackle Bryce too right now- but am following this thread and am thankful it will be here for reference when I do Bryce. You and Chohole are very helpful when it comes to Bryce and we all appreciate you very much. I will ask a somewhat broad question of both of you- if applicable, feel free to answer, if not, just ignore- or delete if it's too off track for this thread but since this is a learning thread, I think it applies?

When I do get started, is there a common mistake to avoid so far as using the tools/ interface? (Which I havent toyed with. Hope I am using the right term there.)

Cathie