How to get AoA lights to work in 3Delight?

So I tried 3Delight today for like the second time and I had purchased AoA lights because supposedly they are great. I tried the spotlight and distant light and my screen looked like the first image, but the whole render turned out black! What did I do wrong????

Cookie Screenshot.JPG
343 x 515 - 26K
AoA Lights Cookie Black.JPG
589 x 592 - 50K

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

Can you post a screen shot of your light settings from the parameters tab?
    I love the AoA lights, though I won't clame to be an expert in their use.

The one thing I can think of is if flagging somehow got turned on/off.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,897

Are you sure you are rendering in 3Delight and not Iray?

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,743

Yes, of course! Other lights are working. 

@DaWaterRat I already deleted them, but will try again. 

edited March 2017

Here is a screenshot of the parameters just for the spotlight. I didn't change anything except the Z trans because the light was too far back and loaded on top of the character so Ihad to pull it back. It still renders black.

AoALight Parameters.JPG
    868 x 543 - 72K
    Post edited by Wonderland on

Yes, of course! Other lights are working. 

@DaWaterRat I already deleted them, but will try again. 

By "other lights" you mean DS default spot/distant/point?  Because those will default to being set for Iray if they're created while Iray is set up as the render engine.  They won't render in Iray if they were set up in 3DL, but they will render in 3DL if they were set up in Iray.

Here is a screenshot of the parameters just for the spotlight. I didn't change anything except the Z trans because the light was too far back and loaded on top of the character so Ihad to pull it back. It still renders black.

Okay, something is wonky.

After Light there should be two more options: Shadow and Lighting control

I'm experimenting on my install.  Give me a minute (the black render appears when I try to render in Iray with the AoA lights)

Hmm.  I can't figure out how your spot is loading in without the shadows and lighting control, because even if Iray is set as my render engine, I get all the controls (see screen shot)

How did you install it?  (trying to figure out if something is wrong in the zip)

Screenshot 2017-03-22 23.58.53.png
    1920 x 1080 - 289K

I can't remember. This is my laptop. I installed some products with Connect and others with DIM on an external hard drive. Here is the distant light and as you can see 3Delight Render engine. Should I try to reinstall?

AoALight Parameters2.JPG
    1189 x 600 - 117K

I can't remember. This is my laptop. I installed some products with Connect and others with DIM on an external hard drive. Here is the distant light and as you can see 3Delight Render engine. Should I try to reinstall?

Yeah, I'd try a re-download and reinstall.

Try installing through DIM rather than connect.  When I did my last reset, the AoA lights weren't available in connect yet, so I installed in DIM in a separate (non virtual) directory)

Trying to, but now getting this. Ugh. Having problems with DIM on my Mac too...

DIM.JPG
    607 x 545 - 43K

Well I deleted the lights and redownloaded and reinstalled and same problem. Two things to contact tech support about tomorrow...

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,341
    I NEVER install anything via DIM or Daz Connect on my Mac, and I never had any problem, while DIM once created a fine mess... Manual install gives you full control, and it is very, very easy.

It just takes too long to manually install. There is a new problem with DIM on my Mac since March Madness and all the AOA lights are screwed up on my PC laptop, haven't checked if they work on my Mac yet....  So two support tickets tomorrow...

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923

Your problem is mentioned in the AoA Advanced Lights Manual as a Known Issue: http://www.ageofarmour.com/3d/tutorials/AoA_advanced_ambient_light_help.html#Known_Issues

You have to move some of the files as described there.

Oh, thanks, I will check that out in the morning! 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743

Well I deleted the lights and redownloaded and reinstalled and same problem. Two things to contact tech support about tomorrow...

I installed mine with DIM (Windows) and no problems here.

I never install manually unless it specifically needs it. WAY too much hassle.

DIM almost always works for me (and the exceptions are some weird things, like Ron brushes, that usually come down to me not pointing the downloads right)

DIM almost always works for me (and the exceptions are some weird things, like Ron brushes, that usually come down to me not pointing the downloads right)

+1

• I never install manually unless it specifically needs it. WAY too much hassle.

Please can you teach me how to install my content without DIM?

You use a manual download link, then look at it to figure out where you need to put stuff.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

As Will says, you download the manual file. Then unzip it and you'll see a folder called "content".  I open that up to see the stuff in it ("People", "Runtime", "Props", whatever). then I select all of those and drag them to the "My Library" folder. The equivalent folders are all in there so it just merges the new stuff into them.   Your library might be called something different but you just  have to open it up and drill down until you see the normal DAZ folers (Lights, Light Presets, Props, People, Shaders, etc).  Then go back up one level and then drag the stuff from the manual download file (the ones below "content") over so that you are putting them into the same parent directory and they will merge.

Hope that makes sense.

edited March 2017

This is for normal Runtime content: If you're using WinRAR, first open the zip, then double click the Content folder so you see the Runtime folder. Then click the Extract To button and browse to your DAZ Library that contains the DAZ Runtime folder and click OK so the zip content is merged into the DAZ Runtime folder. Don't recall how the other unzippers work but probably in a more or less similar way.

install_ds_content_winrar.png
    700 x 871 - 101K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,617
    Taozen said:

I installed mine with DIM (Windows) and no problems here.

..same here, except for flagging SSS surfaces which was broken in the 4.7 update.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    caravelle said:
    I NEVER install anything via DIM or Daz Connect on my Mac, and I never had any problem, while DIM once created a fine mess... Manual install gives you full control, and it is very, very easy.

I always install via DIM on my Mac (don't use Connect).  No problems.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    kyoto kid said:
    Taozen said:

..same here, except for flagging SSS surfaces which was broken in the 4.7 update.

AoA has a new product out.....I'd heard (a long ago) that he was sick..maybe he's better and back in the gmae?