Probably answered to death, but I can't find it. high heels! (Solved I guess)

john_antkowiakjohn_antkowiak Posts: 334

Hi everybody. So when I search the forums for high heels issues, I see a lot of fitting-old-shoes-to-G3F questions. I don't have that problem. I have G3F high heeled boots on a G3f figure, and I can't figure out why they won't follow the toes when I bend them. There has to be a certain amout of give in the shoe, yes? Granted, I've never actually tried to walk in heels, but the ball of the foot from the last step has to remain on the ground until the heel and ball of the next step touches too, yes? And that's very hard to do if you can't bend the toes from the previous step... Have I got this wrong, ladies? 

But the boots won't bend... They're from the La Peligrosa outfit. The screen capture shoes the toes bent way beyond that of the boots' "toes," at the angle I'd like to show them. 

Thanks  :)

heels.jpg
1366 x 768 - 185K
Post edited by john_antkowiak on

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,848

Check the bones on the boots, if you have the bones "Left Toes" & "Right Toes" then try bending them, odds are the mesh wont move, if so then they were rigged with the projection templates. In the Footware projection template those two bones aren't ERC connected to the actual toe bones like they are in the figure, they have no WM of their own and it's the ERC link to the smaller toe bones and their WM that allow them all to move as one.

• john_antkowiakjohn_antkowiak Posts: 334
    edited March 2017

Thanks, Bejaymac. I was with you up until "try bending them." I tried that, and you're right - the mesh won't move. But after that, I didn't understand a word - or an abbreviation - that you said... I apologize for my inexperience with this. May I ask for more detail?

Post edited by john_antkowiak on
  • Would the toes bend on real foortwear of that design?

• Good question, Richard - but I must humbly defer to the ladies in the audience  :)

• FossilFossil Posts: 166

Would the toes bend on real foortwear of that design?

Yes.  I would think that after decades of watching ladies walk by in a variety of shoes, any man would know that.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited March 2017

I guess those specific boots are not designed to bend so it's a product issue. If I would face the issue myself and was forced to use that product, I'd try to animate with just bending the ankles. Anyway in real life when boots are rigid enough it happens that ladies can't bend the toes inside. And this specific limitation contributes to that particular look of a high-heels boot walk.

When a lady can't bend the toes she tends to do smaller steps, and lift the feet altogether in a static way so the movement starts from the knee. While she is forced to firmly leave the opposite feet on the ground. This is basic body dynamic.

Post edited by Padone on
  • Thanks, Padone. Since I'm not trying to animate anything, I wonder if you're saying definitively that there's no solution to this problem?

Also, is there anyone who can explain Bejaymac's response? "odds are the mesh wont move, if so then they were rigged with the projection templates. In the Footware projection template those two bones aren't ERC connected to the actual toe bones like they are in the figure, they have no WM of their own and it's the ERC link to the smaller toe bones and their WM that allow them all to move as one."

I couldn't understand if he was saying "and therefore there's nothing you can do about it" or if he meant "and therefore all you have to do is..."

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,820

Essentially, the answer boils down to "and there's nothing you can do about it."

The bottom of the shoe was probably built to be one rigid piece, as some high heeled shoes frequently are in real life, and therefore even if you can bend G3F's foot when it's inside, the shoe doesn't have the structure that will allow it to bend as well. You'd effectively bend the toes out of the shoes.

As long as the heel and toe of the boot follow the foot when the ankle is bent (or in this case, it would be moving the whole foot), then it's probably working correctly. If the shoe gets left behind when you bend the foot, then the rigging wasn't done correctly, and the shoes need to be fixed.

• Bummer. Thanks, vwrangler!  :)