Adding more bones to an appendage

ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
edited March 2017 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have an older Poser-based starfish character that has simplistic boning, basically a single bone for each "arm." I'd like to add at least one more bone to each arm in order to give the character more character, but the Daz interface for this mystifies me. All of the how-to I see are for much more involved rigging. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious for such a simple task.

I can see that when I select an arm bone with the Joint Editor I have as an option to split the bone (didn't seem to give me what I wanted) or add a child bone. A child bone sounds good (even though half the time it comes in facing the opposite direction -- I think I've figured out how to correct that). This part works, but I'm missing the step on how to then attach that bone to the geometry. I assumed that since I was adding a child bone already connected to gemoetry, its child would be as well. Not the case.

What's the magical incantation?

Post edited by Tobor on

Comments

• If this is a legacy figure then that will require a new mesh group for the bone - in Legacy rigging a boen can affect its own group and its parent's, and of course its children move with it.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

I did (at least I think I did) convert this to TriAx. Would it still be considered a "legacy" figure if upconverted?

If it is still a legacy figure, where would I look for the appropriate commands? Thungs in Figure->Rigging don't look too promising...

• Tobor said:

I did (at least I think I did) convert this to TriAx. Would it still be considered a "legacy" figure if upconverted?

If it is still a legacy figure, where would I look for the appropriate commands? Thungs in Figure->Rigging don't look too promising...

No, if it's converted that should be fine - in that case you just need to aply weights to the new bone with the Node Weight Paint Brush tool.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Thanks! Will give it a shot.