Saving Lighting Information & Render Masks in Iray

Hey there!

So what I wanna do is an architectural render, but I need certain objects in the render in a 'standalone' image. Normally I would just hide everything else, then hit render, but then the whole scene ligthing is messed up, (both direct and indirect).

Is there a way to 'save' lighting information, while objects do not show in the render? The other medthod I thought would be to do quite a lot of postowork in photoshop, making masks of the objects needed as standalone. While not exactly what I want, it might be okay.

Which leads me to my second question: is there a way in Iray to render masks for specified objects in the scene without any external plugins or scripts?

The first method would be the best for obvious reasons, no postwork with masks needed!

If anyone has an idea, please share some insight smiley

Comments

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Sounds like you want to uses canvases, where you can select which "nodes" in the scene you want to render. The nodes still have an affect on the overall scene, such as casting shadow.

Do a Google or Bing search back into the forum and look for 'Iray canvas' and read up. It's not a hard feature to use, but it can be a bit convoluted when starting. Several threads show how to set things up. Concentrate on using a Beauty pass canvas with node selection. The other canvas types, which represent different aspects of the render, are not usually needed for composites such as this, though they certainly can be.

If I understand the request, "render masks for specific objects" sounds like a canvas using the MaterialID selection. Every surface where you've applied an Iray shader has a MaterialID, and is represented by a color. You can use these colors ot create masks.

• Tobor said:

Sounds like you want to uses canvases, where you can select which "nodes" in the scene you want to render. The nodes still have an affect on the overall scene, such as casting shadow.

Do a Google or Bing search back into the forum and look for 'Iray canvas' and read up. It's not a hard feature to use, but it can be a bit convoluted when starting. Several threads show how to set things up. Concentrate on using a Beauty pass canvas with node selection. The other canvas types, which represent different aspects of the render, are not usually needed for composites such as this, though they certainly can be.

If I understand the request, "render masks for specific objects" sounds like a canvas using the MaterialID selection. Every surface where you've applied an Iray shader has a MaterialID, and is represented by a color. You can use these colors ot create masks.

Wow, thank you so much! This feature is hidden really well in daz. But it is exactly what I needed, SnowSultan's tutorial on the topic was great!

Thank you again Tobor, you probably saved me a buttload of work!