Genesis Generation X

Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi all,

I am considering buying Genesis Generation X (http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x), but as it's one of the more pricey things out there, I have a few questions before I do.

1. Does it require anything aside from the listed V4 and M4 Shapes for Genesis?
* Going off of that, does it ONLY exchange morphs from that package, or will it be able to transfer morphs from any v4/m4 morph?
2. Does it work with the most recent version of 4.5? I remember a lot of people being upset about buying it and it not working right away.

Thanks!

Comments

• ZyloxZylox Posts: 787
    edited December 1969

It is optional, but you can also get this http://www.daz3d.com/genx-addon-gen3-bundle to add the generation 3 figures as well.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    I like Generation X, and have used it for a few things, mainly characters that I _love_, but really want to use as Genesis characters. (There are other uses, I just don't generally do them yet.)

Hi all,

I am considering buying Genesis Generation X (http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x), but as it's one of the more pricey things out there, I have a few questions before I do.

Patience.

I joke, but it's a powerful plug-in with documentation that is non-obvious. It takes a bit of work to get it right, and set all the values right, but it's really good once you get a good flow for yourself with it.

* Going off of that, does it ONLY exchange morphs from that package, or will it be able to transfer morphs from any v4/m4 morph?

It can convert any V4/M4 morph to Genesis, but if the morph depends on (for example) Victoria 4.2 Morphs++ then you need to have that also to get the accurate conversion.
    2. Does it work with the most recent version of 4.5? I remember a lot of people being upset about buying it and it not working right away. Thanks! It does, in fact, work with the most recent version of 4.5. The deal was that they significantly altered the API between 4.0 and 4.5, requiring a recompile from all the plug-in manufacturers, which also meant a full QA cycle. That will likely happen again with 5.0. We'll see if they've learned to give sample versions to the plug-in manufacturers earlier this time. :) -- Morgan
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited December 1969

Hello. I just purchased this product myself. :) It's pretty awesome. No you will not need anything other than V4/M4 shapes to recreate your favorite shapes/morphs for V4 and M4. This includes All of the DAZ morphs for V4 and M4. You can use Generation X to transfer Morphs ++, or Aiko 4 or any Gen 4 morph. It's awesome.

However, if you would also like to transfer Generation 3 figures, you can buy add-ons for Generation X. :) Hope this helps.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited January 2013

Cypherfox said:

Hi all,

Patience.

It can convert any V4/M4 morph to Genesis, but if the morph depends on (for example) Victoria 4.2 Morphs++ then you need to have that also to get the accurate conversion.

??? Not sure what you are saying here... I was able to move my morphs ++ morphs for V4 to Genesis using Generation X

Oh wait... I think I get it... Yes... if the morph you want to move requires morphs ++, you will need those morphs as well, but most people already have the package requirements for the characters they want to transfer. I think the OP was wondering what would be needed.

Yes, Generation X will be able to transfer morphs you currently own. Only V4 and M4 shapes are required to transfer V4/M4 morphs to Genesis.

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Right, re: Morphs++; I come at it from the Genesis-user side, where I didn't have any of that stuff so when I found some really nice morphs (like Ksenia) I had to pick up Morphs++ (at a significant discount) before importing characters.

-- Morgan

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

I remember seeing a great tutorial for GenX. It gave a great overlay of the basics. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

I don't remember where it was, may have been on the old site.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:
    I remember seeing a great tutorial for GenX. It gave a great overlay of the basics. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

There is a video tutorial here:

http://takoyakida.webs.com/apps/blog/show/13803069-genx-plug-in-tutorial

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Seems straightforward, at least I know where to come if I get stuck.

CHEERS!

• Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588
    edited January 2013

If you are a member of Renderosity, there is a good tutorial by Sharkbytes-BamaScans which includes screen grabs. Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2851334

Edited to add forum link.

Post edited by Pixel8ted on
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

Thank you nDelphi and Pixel8ted for the links. I was thinking of the video tut, but I hadn't seen the redno one. They both look very helpful :-)

• Princessdawn3dPrincessdawn3d Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

I'm so confused. It says you dont need anything else other then V4 and M4 shapes for gen. But I don't have the base V4. I just wanna use gen to make any character. But I can't figure out how to transfer morphs without the base v4

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

In order for Gen X to work properly you do need the base Gen4 figures and all their morphs, otherwise there's nothing to transfer. Then. in order for what you have transferred to work you first need to load the basic Genesis figure and not a Gen5 figure.

I hope that made sense, don't worry, not a lot of Daz documentation does!

CHEERS!

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

GenX is for people that already have custom characters they developed for V4 or other Gen4 figures and want to transfer them to Genesis. If you are new to this then stick with Genesis add-ons like Evolution Head, Body and Muscle packs and Genesis based characters like V5 and M5.

• MassMinionMassMinion Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Can anyone tell me if Gen X is able to transfer custom faces...there are plenty of characters over at Renderosity that use custom face morphs.......can the whole face morph be transferred to Genesis or will only the relevant V4 morphs be transferred?

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Can anyone tell me if Gen X is able to transfer custom faces...there are plenty of characters over at Renderosity that use custom face morphs.......can the whole face morph be transferred to Genesis or will only the relevant V4 morphs be transferred?

It's important to realise that with GenX it's only transferring the morph itself. What that means is that if a vertex moves half an inch in the original morph, it's only likely to move around the same distance with Generation X. In order to get the original V4 face shape you'll need to add the V4 morph slider into the mix. Likewise, in order to get a K4 shape, you'll need to use the Basic Child slider.

The results aren't perfect. Genesis has fewer vertices than Victoria and other Gen4 characters, which means there will naturally be a slight loss in detail. We don't often notice this reduction in base quality because mesh smoothing adds levels of subdivision to keep things looking smooth and neat. For the end user, this means that translation will rarely be a perfect match, but they're usually pretty close.

I've posted this image before, but it's a solid comparison so I'll include it again. It illustrates the areas where the morphs might not function entirely as expected.

K4_Compare.png
    800 x 398 - 400K
  • zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

also, you can check out the tutorial included in this thread

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18279/

edited December 1969

It's important to realise that with GenX it's only transferring the morph itself. What that means is that if a vertex moves half an inch in the original morph, it's only likely to move around the same distance with Generation X. In order to get the original V4 face shape you'll need to add the V4 morph slider into the mix. Likewise, in order to get a K4 shape, you'll need to use the Basic Child slider.

The results aren't perfect. Genesis has fewer vertices than Victoria and other Gen4 characters, which means there will naturally be a slight loss in detail. We don't often notice this reduction in base quality because mesh smoothing adds levels of subdivision to keep things looking smooth and neat. For the end user, this means that translation will rarely be a perfect match, but they're usually pretty close.

I've posted this image before, but it's a solid comparison so I'll include it again. It illustrates the areas where the morphs might not function entirely as expected.

Thank you for responding.....the sample image you kindly provided shows quite a few differences.....it doesn't look like it's mimicked the morph as a whole,it's just applied relevant V4 morphs......or interpreted the original morph with V4/Genesis morphs......leaving out the all important custom shaping.

Is it fair to say that GenX simply transfers V4 morphs to the Genesis/V4 shape?

edited December 1969

Zawarkal said:

Thanks for posting the link but I'm not authorized to view the page?

edited December 1969

Thank you for responding.....the sample image you kindly provided shows quite a few differences.....it doesn't look like it's mimicked the morph as a whole,it's just applied relevant V4 morphs......or interpreted the original morph with V4/Genesis morphs......leaving out the all important custom shaping.

Is it fair to say that GenX simply transfers V4 morphs to the Genesis/V4 shape?

If you're using the V4 shape, then it should look fine. The demonstration I showed might be a little unfair, as there's no equivalent K4 morph for Genesis though Basic Child does come very close (Basic child at 98% is basically the same height and build as K4).

The most noticeable differences are around areas such as the nipples, naval and of course the face. The first two aren't too bad since clothing will mask the differences, which is why I focused on the face. It's generally a pretty good conversion though, especially if you're using the appropriate classic shape morph. As a point of interest, you can usually adjust any minor differences with Genesis' extra morphs.

Best of luck.

edited December 1969

Zawarkal said:

It's a link to the members only forum, sadly. You need Platinum Club access for it.

edited December 1969

How well a GenX transferred morph works on other Genesis shapes/characters will depend on the morph. For example a celebrity look-a-like morph to make Victoria4 look like Angelina Jolie will not make Victoria5 look like Angelina Jolie anymore then it would have on Aiko4, the starting look is to different. However more general purpose morphs like Stephanie4's proportional morphs work quite well on all Genesis's female shapes and reasonably well on many male shapes (in case you needed to make a drag queen).

edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    How well a GenX transferred morph works on other Genesis shapes/characters will depend on the morph. For example a celebrity look-a-like morph to make Victoria4 look like Angelina Jolie will not make Victoria5 look like Angelina Jolie anymore then it would have on Aiko4, the starting look is to different. However more general purpose morphs like Stephanie4's proportional morphs work quite well on all Genesis's female shapes and reasonably well on many male shapes (in case you needed to make a drag queen).

AH...now that's a great example to better explain what I'm getting at........can a "celebrity morph".....a "custom morph" be transferred correctly?.........the custom morph is based on v4.........Genesis with the v4 shape is basically a V4.........so can that unique morph be transferred?

edited December 1969

Yes it can be transferred, correctly in this case is a relative term. Genesis being a lower density mesh doesn't have as many vertices so it wont look exactly alike. The differences are mostly around the eyes, nose and mouth, which of course most defines a persons appearance. In the example with Genesis's Basic Child and K4 side by side the differences are easy to spot, but if they had been posted separately would you have known they weren't the same figure?

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

Zawarkal said:

Here's a good tutorial I found on Rendo: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2851334. There's also this video tutorial: http://takoyakida.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/13803069-genx-plug-in-tutorial, which is a bit simpler, but I didn't have any luck using it with some shapes. The first method may be a little bit more involved, but it's always worked for me, and I've been able to convert both Gen3 and Gen4 shapes with no problems.

edited December 1969

riftwitch said:
    Zawarkal said:

Here's a good tutorial I found on Rendo: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2851334. There's also this video tutorial: http://takoyakida.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/13803069-genx-plug-in-tutorial, which is a bit simpler, but I didn't have any luck using it with some shapes. The first method may be a little bit more involved, but it's always worked for me, and I've been able to convert both Gen3 and Gen4 shapes with no problems.

Thank you for the links....at least I now understand the method but I'm still struggling to see any solid results from transferring custom morphs....there doesn't seem to be any real examples......the product images show off some crazy morph transfers (chimp,hag etc) so a custom morph shouldn't really be an issue....or is it.?........again,many thx for the links.

• Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 354
    edited December 1969

I was using Generation X to transfer some of my more favorite morphs to Genesis. I’ve done this before. All of a sudden, my last transferred morph always shows up as the default face when I load Genesis. Has anyone seen this happen with Gen X and how do I stop it from happening (it interferes with my ability to use other face morphs on Genesis.

Is there a way to prevent the Gen X morph from loading automatically when I load a "blank" Genesis figure? Is there a way to reset Genesis to default settings?