Fix the Browser issue of seeing someone elses name

DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
edited June 2012 in The Commons

We are aware that many of you have seen in the DAZ Store another name than yours. If you happen to continue to see on our store, If you are not “Some Other Name”... The solution is to Clear your Cache and Cookies in your internet browser, then force a refresh on the page. The problem will now be taken care of and you should never see this again.

As a reminder: This has never given you access to others account data. Your account is and has always been safe.

EDIT: Update note: The problem our customers have been seeing in the store of "If you are not John Doe" or another customer name...has been fixed. The web team has updated the store pages so this should not be a problem any longer.

Post edited by DAZ_bfurner on

Comments

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited June 2012

We are aware that many of you have seen in the DAZ Store another name than yours. If you happen to continue to see on our store, If you are not “Some Other Name”... The solution is to Clear your Cache and Cookies in your internet browser, then force a refresh on the page. The problem will now be taken care of and you should never see this again.

When is "now" in "now taken care of" please -- I cleared my cache a couple hours ago and got called "xxxx" twenty minutes ago.
    Post edited by frank0314 on
  • LoaarLoaar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the update, its good to see some progress.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Clear your Cash and Cookies

Daz already does a good job of clearing my cash, and you no can has my cookies.

However, I will try clearing my cache next time. :P
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

Edited to replace cash with cache - and that's pretty much what I said.

KickAir 8P - I think Blaine meant once those steps are followed, the problem is taken care of (though I'm not sure, I haven't had this issue but I have had other issues recur after a clear out).

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,659
    edited June 2012

I just tried these steps in Safari three times in a row (first just clearing DAZ's cookies and the cache, then clearing all website data and the cache, then doing a full reset of safari...) and upon reloading the page and again on logging in, I've seen three different names who are not me.

Post edited by Storypilot on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,664
    edited December 1969

I find it entertaining seeing what name will come up next on my internet explorer which will not keep me logged in and has had its cookie cache eaten a few times.
    oddly my Android browser keeps me logged it and remembers me!
    does not worry me that much, the messed up needed products annoys me more!

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,992
    edited June 2012

Counting the seconds till this is merged with another thread, effectively losing it in a mountain of semi-related concerns.

But yeah, I agree

I AM NOT xxx!!!

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited June 2012

This never bothered me. I couldn't get into anyone else's account so there's no big thing going on here.

I can't remember my own name most of the time anyhow, so I guess it doesn't faze me...

Post edited by Sockratease on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited June 2012

This never bothered me. I couldn't get into anyone else's account so there's no big thing going on here.

I can't remember my own name most of the time anyhow, so I guess it doesn't faze me...

The only reason I remeber my name is due to everyone screaming for me day-in and day-out. :-)

As far as the "Not xxx" issue goes, I cleared my cache and cookies when I saw that Varnish was involved in the first few days. I spent too many years programming Amigas and seeing "Guru Meditation" sends shivers down my spine. EDIT: I've not had the problem since.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213
    edited December 1969

Well, I'm no longer seeing someone else's name, after clearing all cache and cookies, but I am still being shown as apparently logged into the wrong account, as far as the wishlist is concerned. Hard refresh just doesn't seem to make any difference......the problem must lie in the cache on your own servers. I know we are not allowed to access anyone else's account in reality, but it is disconcerting and annoying to keep seeing someone else's wishlist and recent browsing history, even if you no longer see a different name.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Ditto. Exact same problem. Cache clearing has no effect.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

I haven't seen someone else's name for a while, but yes, random wishlist is kinda problem to me too.

...on the other hand, some of the things I've seen have inspired me to click and see what someone else has wishlisted, so I can then find out if I want it too. But I'm sure that'll get licked since the random name apparently is under control now.

edited June 2012

When is "now" in "now taken care of" please -- I cleared my cache a couple hours ago and got called xxx twenty minutes ago.

I was also getting xxx pretty consistently on the New Releases page even after clearing. After clearing yet again, I'm just getting a wrong wish list. As others noted previously, it really varies by where I am in the store.

The DAZ3D homepage was showing me my own name and wish list, but now after the latest cache cookie clearing and reload, is not correct. In certain places where it shows no name at all, I'm guessing that's because of how recently I logged in (it needs to partially log me out before it starts asking me if I'm not so and so, is that accurate?) The top level Sales and Promotions page shows no place for a name even when not recently re-logged in, but shows wrong wish list, so that is still not right. Drilling further into Sales and Promotions to Genesis Supersuit, shows me no name, but the *correct* number of wish list items, so that one seems right at least to me at this moment.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

The solution is to Clear your Cache and Cookies in your internet browser, then force a refresh on the page

I already did this as soon as the new store first showed up, and I do a force-refresh several dozen times per session in a mostly vain attempt to view a current store page with all new stuff on it. I still regularly see the "not someone else" link. Do I need to clear cache and cookies again?
    edited December 1969

I already did this as soon as the new store first showed up, and I do a force-refresh several dozen times per session in a mostly vain attempt to view a current store page with all new stuff on it. I still regularly see the "not someone else" link. Do I need to clear cache and cookies again?

I would do that. My browser (which tends to be on for days at stretch, since it handles my Twitter, IRC and other things) is set to clear stuff (cache, unwanted cookies) when I do close it, and I apparently haven't had that many problems with the shop/forum unlike some other users. So, yeah. Do that unless you have some really burning reason not to (such as being on dial-up).

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    I haven't seen someone else's name for a while, but yes, random wishlist is kinda problem to me too.

The wishlist issue keeps wigging me out. First I'll ask myself how the hell did I go from 30 items to 130. Then I'll ask myself who the hell actually has 130?!
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Skiriki said:

The wishlist issue keeps wigging me out. First I'll ask myself how the hell did I go from 30 items to 130. Then I'll ask myself who the hell actually has 130?!

*raises a hand sheepishly*

2,158 items...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,664
    edited December 1969

has ANYONE seen a name from someone who posts on the forum?
    makes you realize how many users there are, though ofcourse they are real names!

edited December 1969

makes you realize how many users there are, though ofcourse they are real names!

Since the name seen does not necessarily match with forum username (mine, for example, doesn't match at all), it is hard to tell.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

DAZ_bfurner:

This is definitely not fixed.

My browser is set to auto-clear everything, and I only use per session cookies with no allowable caches, or history. Everything clears on browser closing.

I have closed (auto-clearing everything), and re-opened browser and the problem still persists.

I have force-cleared everything after browser closing, and when I come back to DAZ the problem is still here.

I have closed browser, force-cleared everything, and rebooted system. Yet, when I come back to DAZ there has been no fix.

I am still seeing the name of someone else, and this is a security breach.

Though, only when NOT LOGGED IN, and on the Main Page. Which means everyone out there can see, not just members of DAZ.

Obviously, not every variable has been addressed. Two pics below illustrate this log in session right now (I got the same non-log in name all three tries):

Take care...
    Ken

LoggedOut.jpg
    800 x 430 - 127K
    LoggedIn.jpg
    800 x 430 - 125K
  • xantorxantor Posts: 27
    edited June 2012

Sorry, wrong thread. :red:

Post edited by xantor on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited June 2012

Agreed not fixed - just went to check and in the middle of trying to get the actual, real list of new releases it came up with someone elses name.

Slight addendum - the displaying of errant names may have been fixed (maybe by a change of the html/php to just output the literals 'Log out' or 'Login') but I still get 'random' numbers for items in wishlist and the recent release list is still a complete lottery

Post edited by SimonJM on
    edited December 1969

Interesting -- I prodded about, and noticed that if I log out, clear the cache and cookies manually, these two pages keep giving me the wrong name:
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/shop

All others from pulldown menus seem to work OK. I'll poke at couple of things, but I confess I was kind of too hopeful myself that this particular gnat of a bug had been squashed... ah well, crow is tasty and at least I'm not the one who needs to fix it. :/

edited June 2012

I don't normally even see a "Not _____?" link. I see it maybe once when I initially log in, or come to the site already logged in (cookies). Other than that, nada.

Skiriki said:
    Vaskania said:
    Skiriki said:

*raises a hand sheepishly*

2,158 items...

:bug:

I thought I found Tako's, but then I remembered I knew what his first name was, and this wasn't it.
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited June 2012

Greetings,

We are aware that many of you have seen in the DAZ Store another name than yours. If you happen to continue to see on our store, If you are not “Some Other Name”... The solution is to Clear your Cache and Cookies in your internet browser, then force a refresh on the page. The problem will now be taken care of and you should never see this again. This is unfortunately not correct; YOUR cache (i.e. DAZ's) is still broken. The wishlist count on /shop and /shop/shop continue to be wrong, as indicated by another user, and while you've hidden the user's names, the wishlist count is obviously an indication that it's rendering the wrong user's information there. As a reminder: This has never given you access to others account data. Your account is and has always been safe.

Thankfully, outside of real names, this is definitely true. When the site actually has to resolve who you are, it's getting it right, but when it's showing you some stuff (presumably varnish cached for performance) like user's name, wishlist count, and required products, it's just plain wrong as often as it's right. :( I'm all good for slack in fixing this, go for it, take your time and do it right, but don't assert that's the problem when it's not. It may have been _one_ of the problems, but it is not this problem. If it were, I would expect that users would have been consistently seeing the same user's name in that location.

Best of luck fixing this, hopefully you're continuing to try, not thinking that this's resolved it...

-- Morgan

Edited to attach screencaps of what I mean. I have none of those items in my wishlist, and I have half that number of wishlist items.

LastAdded.png
    204 x 430 - 35K
    WishlistCount.png
    132 x 31 - 4K
    Post edited by CypherFOX on
    edited June 2012

To test it, after I left it inactive for last hour, and returned, it's showing me a wrong name at: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/

Other places are showing no names right now, so echoing what Morgan is saying, looks like they are hidden. I get different wrong wish lists at:
    ...i was going to list several addresses that were wrong and several that had been showing me correct wish list info, but some of those just switched to somebody else, so never mind, it still appears inconsistent.

Just to keep up the drumbeat, underlying cache problem definitely not fixed. Good luck, hope you guys get to the bottom of it.

Also, I have seen a name/wishlist instance that I recognized as someone on the forums on one occasion.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:

I would do that.
    OK, I just did it. At first it didn't work, I was still seeing the total for someone else's wishlist — although always the same one this time, with 305 items. After bouncing around the store for a few minutes, it seemed to "take" — new things show up on the "New Releases" page, the order doesn't change when I refresh again, and I had the right number of things in my wishlist.

Unless I'm on the site homepage, which has a 58-item wishlist (wrong) and the store homepage, which doesn't show a wishlist total.

Still a bit broken, but sorta useable. Next, I'll watch the prices and see if they're bouncing/going on and off sale over the next couple of days. There's stuff I want to buy, but right now I don't trust the store prices.
  • GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited June 2012

The problem will now be taken care of and you should never see this again.

"Now" or "soon" ? ;-)

I just got:

My Cart (0)
    My Wishlist (115 items)
    My Account
    (Not xxx?)

• BruceBroussardBruceBroussard Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I just realized that many ISPs cache sites. Even in the company I work at, when I change web content, I start getting erratic results and I begin frantic debugging. Now I realized the site cacheing 'feature' so I now take a break for an hour or so to let the cache flush.
    Also working with other sites 'change' exposed problems with hosting companies using cloud distributed load balancing ect...
    I had to wait 24 hours for changes to take effect and verified. If the change was wrong, then another 24 for the undo and then submit the next try.
    So much code seens to only work on the server published too and if the cloud is large (many servers around the world) any changes may not work because it conflicts with other servers current data. Bring down a web server, upload the new page, start the server. How long will it take to cover all the servers that most Site Hosts don't even know exits.
    I think DAZ might have not only changed the application foundation but also the Site Host.
    One of the departments at my work published a web app and I had to install firefox on all computers because the app was developed on a MAC and does not work right with IE. It has always been a big issue testing a web site on all browsers across all devices.

Everyone clearing their cache has little effect. Its the ISPs that need to do this.

edited June 2012

Ok, I have no idea if this will be helpful to anyone, but this pattern is consistent between my computer and another device I have, after having cleared both at fairly spaced apart times today.

Green boxes mean that page shows my correct wishlist count. Generally subcategories beneath show correct as well.
    Blue boxes mean it does not reveal any information, name or wishlist.
    Red boxes mean it shows wrong count in the wishlist.
    Double red (only DAZ3D main home page right now) shows wrong wishlist and wrong name.

also that green box next to the blue box at DAZ Studio products link indicates its subcategories all were green. I should have probably put a green box next to the red one for People, since it looked like most subcategories would have been green, but I didn't check them all. This may be futile, but if it's true for others as well, it may help in some way, or if it's not the same, it means the behavior is still not consistent, EDIT or the problem is happening at another link in the chain as bbroussard says above.

DAZ_Store_image.jpg
    800 x 286 - 52K