Motion Capture, Kinect, and Daz Studio

dan.shivedan.shive Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I know it's feasible to use a combination of software and a Kinect to do motion capture that's useable in Daz Studio. What I am unsure of is how exactly this is done, how many options there are, how easy it is to do, and how much it could wind up costing to set it all up. It's something I'm certainly interested in, but not for an arm and a leg.

Anyone more knowledgeable about this willing to share?

Comments

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

There's a program called ipiSoft which used to be sold here, at Contentparadise, and on their own site, which does just that. It has three licences, which use an increasing number of kinects (or webcams, I'm not sure if you can mix and match kinects with webcams though). The higher the number of cameras/kinects the better the motions are converted. This is after initial calibration, which can be a little hard for beginners. The cost for Ipisoft Express which is for just one kinect is 295$ now, very reasonable compared to the alternative method (mocap suit). There is also a 30 days trial: http://www.ipisoft.com/products.php. If it can wait, Contentparadise usually gives a 50 or 60% off coupon valid on almost everything on their November sale (Black Friday sale, although it was anticipated to early November this last year, so I missed it). Ipisoft also went on sale on its own around November and for Christmas, although it was at a smaller discount than that.

• dan.shivedan.shive Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info! I had no idea that existed. The fact that there's a free demo is particularly helpful.

I had heard about potential with iClone, but I had difficulty wrapping my head around how it would work and apparently there was a big investment just to get the license to export in the right file format.

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,604
    edited December 1969

dan.shive said:
    I know it's feasible to use a combination of software and a Kinect to do motion capture that's useable in Daz Studio. What I am unsure of is how exactly this is done, how many options there are, how easy it is to do, and how much it could wind up costing to set it all up. It's something I'm certainly interested in, but not for an arm and a leg.

Anyone more knowledgeable about this willing to share?

there's also brekel which is free, i used it for mocap, and saving the animation as BVH

here i explain how i processed all this to get good results in Daz Studio

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts2/kinect-mocap-basics

• creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

if you don't have these

SSD drive
    usb 3.0 connection
    and at least 2 kinect or six ps eye cams.
    and do not waste your money on truebones bvh mocap pack

don't think about it to start with mocaps without these requirements.

be happy i just safe you $$$ money.

• lmoroneylmoroney Posts: 41
    edited December 1969

@Casual -- I tried doing mocap with Brekel, and it was all over the place...I couldn't even smooth it with your scripts.

Do you have any tips on how to use Brekel to get the capture? Do I need a 'clean' background for example?

• VenerisVeneris Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

And which software is recommended for facial expressions?

And the export file compatible for DAZ Studio.

edited December 1969

@SINANIMACION: I have ZignTracks 2, but I've never had the opportunity to use it (I have never found suitable balls to glue on the face). It should work perfectly for figures up to generation 4 (V4 & M4), since it exports pz2 (i.e. Poser format). I have no idea if Genesis supports pz2 expressions.

edited December 1969

ReDave said:
    @SINANIMACION: I have ZignTracks 2, but I've never had the opportunity to use it (I have never found suitable balls to glue on the face). It should work perfectly for figures up to generation 4 (V4 & M4), since it exports pz2 (i.e. Poser format). I have no idea if Genesis supports pz2 expressions.

How I can make those green dots are needed? The material that is recommended in the manual do not know.

edited December 1969

I don't know. But I'm thinking of looking for polystyrene (something like this http://www.aupetitpecheurpratique.com/images/decollagepetitappats/100_4618.jpg), and spraying it with dark green matte paint.

edited December 1969

ReDave said:
    I don't know. But I'm thinking of looking for polystyrene (something like this http://www.aupetitpecheurpratique.com/images/decollagepetitappats/100_4618.jpg), and spraying it with dark green matte paint.

With that image I can know who is. I have of that material just to my right. I appreciate your response, thanks.