BB-8 Astromech for DAZ Studio

We're starting the process of converting all of our sci-fi freebies to DAZ Studio format. The first model: BB-8 Astromech Droid from The Force Awakens. The model was originally made by Richard Duda with Poser and Studio conversion by John Hoagland.

The head can rotate and 6 material files are included. For use in DAZ Studio (includes dsf, duf/ png files) and Iray materials. Images rendered in DAZ Studio 4.9 with Iray and a skydome environment.

BB-8 Astromech Droid

BB-8 Astromech Droid 2

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Oh my gosh he (it) is super cute!

• Excellent! I already started converting the previous version, but I only did a couple of the colour sets, and my conversions didn't look this good.

Any chance of the Astromech droid sets bubbling to the top of the to-do list any time soon? I started working on these (note that the original meshes have a few n-gons in awkward places), but quickly bogged down.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited February 2017

Excellent! I already started converting the previous version, but I only did a couple of the colour sets, and my conversions didn't look this good.

Any chance of the Astromech droid sets bubbling to the top of the to-do list any time soon? I started working on these (note that the original meshes have a few n-gons in awkward places), but quickly bogged down.

There's also something funky with the parascope too. rather than being properly shaped, it just stretches the sides of the dome section into a column without that piece actually separating from the dome to reveal the parascpe within. Take a look:

Post edited by Chohole on
  • There's also something funky with the parascope too. rather than being properly shaped, it just stretches the sides of the dome section into a column without that piece actually separating from the dome to reveal the parascpe within.

Nearly forgot, yes it does that too. It's called welding, and it affects the edges of openable/movable object parts where the edge vertices are too close to each other, so D|S sticks them together. Do you have a mesh modeller like Hexagon? You can find where the object mesh file is stored in your content folder, import it into Hexagon, and export it back out again (note that ALL import/export options in the dialogs must be turned off, this leaves you with exactly the same object with the welding removed). After you do this, you can load the model in D|S as normal, and it should work.

Ah, hold on, that only works with the original model in Poser format, which has a separate .obj geometry file. This new version seems to have been just saved as a scene subset, instead of doing it properly by saving as a Figure Asset. In this case, I'm not sure if the fix above will work.

•  

Sure, I'll take a look at them. :)
    You're right that the models have a lot of n-gons that need splitting and fixing.

As for BB-8, I'll take a lookat the periscope and see what happened.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404

Sure, I'll take a look at them. :)
    You're right that the models have a lot of n-gons that need splitting and fixing.

As for BB-8, I'll take a lookat the periscope and see what happened.

The Periscope problem is with the R2 unit, not BB-8.