Runtimes on Flash Drives and External Hard drives??

ArthurOPoddArthurOPodd Posts: 22
edited December 1969 in New Users

I just saw a 128 gig flash drive and it got me thinking. I've had to re-install all of my 3D content every time I get a new computer.
But what if my 3D content was on a flash drive or external hard drive?
Would I be able to install DS4 and associated content, Poser, Carrara and the rest on one of the multi-terabyte extenal hard drives and have everything work without having to worry about drive space again, no matter how many times I have to replace my computer?

I'd like some of the DS and Poser Gurus to see if this would be possible at all, or if it would be partly possible. For instance, the programs would have to run on the computer hard drive, but the runtimes could be on the external memory.

Thanks.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes Very possible, many work this way right now. Just need to tell DS where your Content Folder/Folders are in Prefs.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
    edited December 1969

I have all my Daz content on an external portable usb drive
    I can plug it into both my laptop and desktop to use the content.
    studio loads it all into temp folders so you can in fact even unplug it when rendering, I do get issues of textures not be accessed in Carrara if I do this though.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I have all my Daz content on an external portable usb drive.
    Ditto and it works well.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I don't use DS, but I have all my programs installed to a drive other than my main C drive. That dirve only contains my OS,AV apps and browser. All my content runs from externals.

• ArthurOPoddArthurOPodd Posts: 22
    edited January 2013

So it sounds like the programs (Poser, DS) as well as the content can go in an external hard drive.

Let me know if that ain't so.

Post edited by ArthurOPodd on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Well certainly poser can, and as far as I know others have run DS the same way.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

For the applications, there are registry entries and other settings that will default to the OS locations, but the bulk of the files can go on an external drive. When you switch to a different computer the first time you'll want to install the application to the same location on the external drive. After that you should be able to switch back and forth easily.

• ArthurOPoddArthurOPodd Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

So you can't just download everything to the external drive and have it work? Are there any instructions for a novice?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

No you have to download and install the content to an external HDD in a structure that makes sense to you. This is my approach http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11176/#160909