Installing files manually e.g unzipping to * My Library *

Not everyone is using, or wants to use DIM.

When I am downloading a product zip and unzip it to the set path , default path for Daz Studio, it does creates a new * Content * folder within the existing Content folder of set path/ default path for Daz Studio.

Why do you have to put those files in a Content folder before zipping it?

It is quite anoying.

I do not have this problems with zip files from , for example, renderosity.

I can just have a quick look in the zip to see where what goes and unzip it as is and all is good.

Could this be changed?

Kind regards

Petra

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,992
    edited January 2017

AFAIK, the Content folder is what DIM uses to replace it with your actual installtion folders, so it's "default" part of the "construction" for DAZ downloads.

Also, if you want the "right" people" to know, contact Customer Support. https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/requests/new

Your fellow forumites have no powers to change such things.

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    edited January 2017

Thank you, again, not everyone uses or wants to use DIM or connect or all the rest of it.

I shall open a support ticket.

Petra

Post edited by Petra on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited January 2017

NO NO NO!!!  DIM can install software, plug-ins and content, as such it needs to separate instruction files from installable files thus the need for the "Content" folder in the zip, DIM strips out the "Content" folder on installing.

Stop hating and/or fearing DIM and start using it.

Post edited by jestmart on
  • oomuoomu Posts: 175

DIM manages for you unzipping and putting the files in your default DAZ Library folder.

You can manually unzip and put files in the proper folders if you understand what and where stuff goes. You have textures files, Libraries files, geometry files, assets and so on. If you want to do things manually, I would advise to do it in a separate library, a "My DAZ Library" folder for example. You configure it's path in the Content Manager from DAZ.

It will allow to use DIM when you want to manage content in the standard "DAZ Library" folder, and do as you like in your own personnal "My DAZ Library" folder.

You can see how DIM works and see how files of a DAZ product are organized. Product from others shops for DAZ studio are also organized in the same way.

jestmart said:

NO NO NO!!!  DIM can install software, plug-ins and content, as such it needs to separate instruction files from installable files thus the need for the "Content" folder in the zip, DIM strips out the "Content" folder on installing.

Stop hating and/or fearing DIM and start using it.

Excuse me? Why do I hate or fear it? I just do not like it. I jusr prefer to install my files manually. I like to see where what goes. I do not need DIM but I am happy if you and others are happy using it.

oomu said:

DIM manages for you unzipping and putting the files in your default DAZ Library folder.

You can manually unzip and put files in the proper folders if you understand what and where stuff goes. You have textures files, Libraries files, geometry files, assets and so on. If you want to do things manually, I would advise to do it in a separate library, a "My DAZ Library" folder for example. You configure it's path in the Content Manager from DAZ.

It will allow to use DIM when you want to manage content in the standard "DAZ Library" folder, and do as you like in your own personnal "My DAZ Library" folder.

You can see how DIM works and see how files of a DAZ product are organized. Product from others shops for DAZ studio are also organized in the same way.

I am doing this manually for a good 12 years now, so I do understand where I have to put what ;) If you are happy with using DIM that is great.

• Freebies and content from other stores have varied enormously in what hierarchy they include - I have had stuff from Renderosity that included a My Library folder, which is OK if you use the default content directory name but not if not.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,992
    edited January 2017

Well, in the rare case of manually installing files from, DAZ store, I usually go into the ZIP file before unzipping, then to the content folder, and simply copy-paste (or drag) the subfolders to my regular content directory. I mean, as long as it (the Content folder in the ZIP) is there, and I know it's always there... I can accomodate to that.

Post edited by BeeMKay on