Bryce shapes

2»

Comments

• edited December 2012

Now for some renders and work in the Terrain Editor.

I rendered the grey-scale map at maximum quality [2048 x 2048] which took about 1 hour. Exported as a 24 bit TIFF.

The Terrain editor was entered with a Symmetrical Lattice and set to 2048 x 2048 resolution. After loading the grey-scale map don't worry about the artifacts and proceed as follows:

(1) Equalize

(2) Lower. Make sure there is plenty of space in the grey-scale range, by moving the upper clipping bracket down to check it.

(3) Resolution down to 256 x 256.

(4) Smoothing. Check the progress by doing a render now and then.

(5) Gaussian Edges. Use the slider and be careful not to overdo it.

(6) Smoothing. Check the progress by doing a render now and then.

(7) Smoothing. Check the progress by doing a render now and then. Use the minimum amount because it will degrade the Shape even when it improves the Form.

(8) Resolution up to 512 x 512. followed by smoothing.

(9) Resolution up to 1024 x 1024. followed by smoothing.

(10) Resolution up to 2048 x 2048. followed by smoothing.

(11) Equalize. After that you can drop the resolution down again depending on how good you want the surface. If you do reduce the resolution from this point on you won't get any artifacts [unless you have a detailed model with sharp corners].

You should now have a perfect mirror surface. This procedure will work for most forms but there are several thousand variation!

Here is a picture of the process. The one at the top right used the wrong filter and could not be used for making a Heart.

You can see in the other 3 images how the form is gradually created.

Finally the lower clipping bracket is adjusted to control the joint in the middle of the Symmetrical Lattice.

I show you 3 more pictures with information which may be useful.

That's it. Have fun.

Settings_HHR.jpg
    1043 x 802 - 187K
    Settings_HHL.jpg
    1043 x 800 - 182K
    Render_01.jpg
    594 x 570 - 101K
    Process_02.jpg
    800 x 800 - 108K
    Post edited by pbudarick_4a3d2ac478 on
  • edited December 1969

As we are on the subject [Thread] of "Bryce Shapes"

More Precision Ambient Painting.

AP_04.jpg
    800 x 452 - 76K
    AP_03.jpg
    800 x 452 - 46K
    AP_02.jpg
    700 x 613 - 90K
    AP_01.jpg
    800 x 564 - 264K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 2012

How about a nice box of Maltesers

100% Bryce Boolean Modelling.

ChocBox.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 116K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Meh! in for a penny, in for a pound.
    Thought It would be fun to make and map a design onto the box lid.

ChocBox2.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 364K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Suddenly I have this craving for chocolate. Thanks Dave. :lol:

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,120
    edited December 1969

Meh! in for a penny, in for a pound.
    Thought It would be fun to make and map a design onto the box lid.

Great! Yes, we love Bryce.
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

GussNemo said:
    Now a question has been posed, how were they made?
    I think you can use wings, select the right character set and type a heart.If you cant find a font with heart shapes
    here are some
    http://www.dafont.com/search.php?q=heart&page=3
    Post edited by eireann.sg on
  • edited December 1969

How about a nice box of Maltesers

100% Bryce Boolean Modelling.

Hi "The Savage64", i really love your work. That box of Maltesers is very fine modelling and rendering.

You Motorbike is interesting also. Is that 100% Bryce modeling also?

If not, it is very good rendering in Bryce anyway.

Kind regards from Australia, were 2012 will soon end and 2013 begins.

edited December 1969

Hi "The Savage64", i really love your work. That box of Maltesers is very fine modelling and rendering.
    Thanks. :)
    I managed to complete it without having to make a single mesh, but it's left the wire frame model looking very confusing with all those massive cylinders that make up the intersect boolean for the pointy bit of the heart. :gulp:

You Motorbike is interesting also. Is that 100% Bryce modeling also?
    No, the bike's not one of mine. I don't think I'd have the patience to make something that complex. I mostly do packaging design for my job so that's relatively simple for me.
    The bike came with my Poser content, all I've done to it is to export it as an .obj and then re-map all the materials so they are Bryce procedurals instead of the mixture of Poser and photo-textures it came with.

If not, it is very good rendering in Bryce anyway.

Thanks again. It certainly looks a lot better than it did when I first imported it. :)

Kind regards from Australia, were 2012 will soon end and 2013 begins.
    Kind regards back at ya mate.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

yay Bryce Hearts.. easy peasy..

hearts.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
  • edited January 2013

I have done a bit more work on Bryce Modeling for this heart shape. I noticed “The Savage64” had the same problem i had in making this box. Simply scaling the same heart down to use for the inside does not produce a model with walls of constant thickness. You will notice the same result in my model also. I wanted a thick wall so i can later do some engraving on it.

When the Ambient Painting was completed i converted it into a terrain. The result is an object with perfectly smooth mirror surface.

Here are some pictures of work thus far.

Render_02 is not very good. I will need to do a high quality render which will take several days to complete.

How-to-make-Heart-Shape.jpg
    1500 x 1329 - 505K
    Contruction_01.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 637K
    Render_02.jpg
    1000 x 565 - 286K
    Render_01.jpg
    800 x 800 - 91K
    Post edited by pbudarick_4a3d2ac478 on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

two cylinders and one cube mix in control C and Control V with a springking of Booleans, and you get this

box-o-chocolates.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 510K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Peter: You box may not have equal wall thickness, but it does look nice. Almost ceramic in nature. Thanks for the how to images.

@Rareth: You too are making me hungry for chocolate. Nice job.

• edited December 1969

@Rareth. It is nice that you also have entered the chocolate box contest. Ultimately the winner will be the one who has the best tasting sweets in the box %-P. I believe that Niederegger of Luebeck in Germany have the best Marzipan filled Heart Boxes in the Known Universe.

@TheSavage64. Your work is very inspiring and i love your ability to quickly bring something onto the forum to keep the momentum going. Who would have though that a post about Heart Shapes would run for so long? And you even managed to get me, the author of terror shapes, to contribute to a non-terror shape view of our world.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Here's how I did it when making a hollow, opening heart shaped locket.

Solid:
    Looking down from above.
    1. Load in 2 eggs from the Geometrics section in the Objects menu.
    2. Put them next to each other so they overlap and rotate the left one anticlockwise, and the right one
    clockwise slightly. Adjust them to suit what you want. Select both and group them together. Done.

If you want to make the heart hollow:

1. Un-group them and select both eggs and click Duplicate on the Edit menu.
    2. While they are still selected shrink them slightly so they fit inside the first 2.
    3. Click the A in the attribute menu of the duplicates and make them Negative.
    4. Select both outer eggs and click the A and make them Positive.
    5. Group all 4 eggs together and your done.

To slice it in half:

1. First un-group everything but leave them where they are.
    2. Load in a standard cube object and select the A on the attributes menu and make it negative.
    3. Position the cube on top of the eggs and re-size it to fit just over the edges at the top, bottom left and right.
    4. Then change the view to look at the objects from the side and re-size the cube so that it comes just
    above the top of the eggs and half way down.
    5. Group all the eggs and the cube together and you should have half of a hollow heart.

You can then duplicate it and use 2 halves.

Hope this helps.

Lockets.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 771K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

That's really neat. Now can you put a photo inside it as well ?

edited December 1969

Yeah, why not.

381 x 193 - 69K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

~~~~~~~~~~ roflmao ~~~~~~~~~~

edited December 1969

Glad you liked it chohole.
    Happy New Year.

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    Here's how I did it when making a hollow, opening heart shaped locket.

Solid:
    Looking down from above.
    1. Load in 2 eggs from the Geometrics section in the Objects menu.
    2. Put them next to each other so they overlap and rotate the left one anticlockwise, and the right one
    clockwise slightly. Adjust them to suit what you want. Select both and group them together. Done.

If you want to make the heart hollow:

1. Un-group them and select both eggs and click Duplicate on the Edit menu.
    2. While they are still selected shrink them slightly so they fit inside the first 2.
    3. Click the A in the attribute menu of the duplicates and make them Negative.
    4. Select both outer eggs and click the A and make them Positive.
    5. Group all 4 eggs together and your done.

To slice it in half:

1. First un-group everything but leave them where they are.
    2. Load in a standard cube object and select the A on the attributes menu and make it negative.
    3. Position the cube on top of the eggs and re-size it to fit just over the edges at the top, bottom left and right.
    4. Then change the view to look at the objects from the side and re-size the cube so that it comes just
    above the top of the eggs and half way down.
    5. Group all the eggs and the cube together and you should have half of a hollow heart.

You can then duplicate it and use 2 halves.

Hope this helps.

The green ones look like someone's backside LOL ;)
    edited December 1969

Another experiment...

I was trying to make a furry heart but displacement doesn't work properly on boolean or mesh objects.

This cheat was done simply by stretching a sphere, rotating it and then adding a mirror down it's symmetrical axis.
    Then you can add a displacement texture to add the fur.

It has it's limitations, but it's another way of making a heart and the result is quite different from anything else so far shown in this thread. :)

FurryHeart.jpg
    640 x 480 - 159K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,998
    edited December 1969

Chocolates and hearts just in time for valentines.

Ask a simple question and we get pages full with help and tutorials. I have lots to keep me busy for the next few weeks. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,998
    edited December 1969

Another experiment...

I was trying to make a furry heart but displacement doesn't work properly on boolean or mesh objects.

This cheat was done simply by stretching a sphere, rotating it and then adding a mirror down it's symmetrical axis.
    Then you can add a displacement texture to add the fur.

It has it's limitations, but it's another way of making a heart and the result is quite different from anything else so far shown in this thread. :)

Definitely different and interesting result.