Beaver dam/den (or pile of woodsie brush)

Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
edited January 2017 in Freebies

If it may serve to some folks, here is a very simple beaver den model that you can use in your renders. Free, available in DAZ (.duf) and .OBJ format, textures included.
Download link: http://www.alessandromastronardi.com/downloads/beaverDenFreebie.zip

beaverDenShot-1.jpg
1705 x 1024 - 294K
beaverDenShot-2.jpg
1689 x 1618 - 562K
beaverDenShot-3.jpg
1706 x 1165 - 335K
Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on

Comments

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645

Not just for a beaver dam but a great pile of woodsie brush for those western American images like bull elks bugling in Yellowstone. Very cool AA. Thank you very much.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Cool thanks. I remember the beaver den in the creek beside where we lived as a kid. They are interesting to watch.

• Very nice, I may have some use for this. Thanks. 

• DollyGirl said:

Not just for a beaver dam but a great pile of woodsie brush for those western American images like bull elks bugling in Yellowstone. Very cool AA. Thank you very much.

Absolutely, use it as you see it fit :)

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268

Thanks this will be useful in all sorts of woodsie scenes.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited January 2017

Or ...

Seriously, excellent work Alessandro!. Thank you for sharing. With instancing one could also use it to make an entire dam, as well. Or upside down for a crow's nest.

BeaverHat.jpg
    800 x 888 - 634K
    Post edited by SixDs on
  • SixDs said:

Or ...

Seriously, excellent work Alessandro!. Thank you for sharing. With instancing one could also use it to make an entire dam, as well. Or upside down for a crow's nest.

Oh yes why not, well done! :D

• Rieke77Rieke77 Posts: 618

Thank you so much!

• Thak you very much, it is beautiful!

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

Thanks - I can think of many uses for this!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Thanks so much for this awesome Beaver dam woodsie thing!!!!

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610

This will look great with your beaver.  I saw this and thought Oh boy there is a beaver.  I wondered when I can get him and went to his product page and found this.   I guess I already have him but forgot.  I guess I have a lot of your animals!  Great job!  Hopefully I can download this when I can get a new computer.

Screenshot_2017-01-15-12-52-15_kindlephoto-129828979.jpg
    2244 x 1218 - 220K
  • CriosCrios Posts: 2,646

Really cool, thank you.

• MartialMartial Posts: 404

Many thanks

Here a render with the dam

I have old beaver mesh in Poser

But I put your beaver to my wishlist at DAZ ,sometime i will buy for sure)

HFSP_AutumnPond aux castors.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 72K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Oh, I wish I had seen this earlier.  Thank you, thank you.  But I just replicated my own beaver dam to go with a landscape I am making in Carrara to house your beaver figure.  I made a stream and pond.  Very proud that I was able to get the water in the stream to flow down, flatten out for the pond behind the dam, and then continue down the stream bed.  Will link here when I post to Lola's thread as my Nature entry.  My beaver dam is not as nice.sad But the beaver figure likes it anyway.

The surrounding forest still needs a lot of work.

• Cool to see so many renders and interest, I will make more freebies then.

Happy danceheartheartheart

edited August 2017

For AA, his beaver dam hard at work.

LightFixation.jpg
    618 x 800 - 67K
    Post edited by DollyGirl on
  • nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,867
    edited August 2017

Hmmmmm....  I'm getting an error Cannot find file: /C:/Users/papil/Desktop/beaverDenFreebie/beaverDen-D.jpg plus the same on the other two jpgs.  They're all clearly in the included folder, though.

beaverDenFreebie DS error 20170831.png
    1920 x 1040 - 407K
    Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on

If you want to fix the error yourself this is what you do.

First extract the duf file because it is saved as a compressed file.

Then change the following lines:

"url" : "/C%3A/Users/papil/Desktop/beaverDenFreebie/beaverDen-D.jpg", to "url" : ":beaverDen-D.jpg"

"url" : "/C%3A/Users/papil/Desktop/beaverDenFreebie/beaverDen-B.jpg", to "url" : ":beaverDen-B.jpg"

"url" : "/C%3A/Users/papil/Desktop/beaverDenFreebie/beaverDen-N.jpg", to "url" : ":beaverDen-N.jpg"

• Okay, I made the changes outlined above, plus one other place in there where I noticed that whole URL in it, and then saved it out. Its still giving me the same error.

I apologize for misleading you. I was thinking old school (DAZ Studio 3 and Poser format, where / and : can be interchanged. My bad!)

Studio reads the "asset_info" section of the file and determines the reference point or starting point for where things are.

AA's file line looks like this: "/C%3A/Users/papil/Desktop/beaverDenFreebie/beaverDen.duf",

I changed mine to look like this: "/FreeStudio4/props/AM/beaverDenFreebie/beaverDen.duf",

My file structure for my content is all under D:/DAZ 3D/[Then the 9 directories that contain the content, one of which is the FreeStudio4 directory]. It should be noted that Studio 4 has a default position for looking up file references. That default is the first directory you list in the Database Management window. In my case it is /FreeStudio3/content/, so I had error messages saying it could not find the jpgs because I had not included enough of the path in the asset_info to help Studio find the files.

Once you have determined what is enough path information in the assest_info section then you can use relative path locations of the jpgs.

AA's file line looks like this: "/C%3A/Users/papil/Desktop/beaverDenFreebie/beaverDen-D.jpg" (Note he did not use relative in his path identification, which is allowed but not good for sharing)

I changed mine to look like this: "/props/AM/BeaverDen/beaverDen-D.jpg" (Path should include everything under the common directory, in my case /FreeStudio4)

There are 6 lines that need to be changed with regards to the jpg path. So there is a total of 7 locations. A much easier approach would be to load up the prop and then resave the asset. This will create a differenct kind of duf. Instead of including the geometry info in the duf it will generate a set of data files but you won't have to worry about getting the path locations just right. My experience is just don't try to fix the files but recreate the files for your setup, that you know will work.