3D Cinematic for Mixamo, Completed with use of DAZ 3D environment, Stonemason

solomonsolomon Posts: 84
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

Hi Guys, check out this shot cinematic I recently completed for Mixamo.

You can read more about it here and watch the interview and final video: http://www.sowl.com/2012/12/toxic-planet-a-3d-cinematic-for-mixamo-inc/

Below is a screen shot from the cinematic.

Solomons_Mixamo_Autodesk_cinematic_01.jpg
670 x 361 - 74K

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited December 1969

That's awesome!
    So, it looks like (from the interview) you really enjoy using 3ds max 2013
    If you would, could you tell me:

Do you create your own characters/rigging or can you purchase figures for 3ds, like you would from Daz3d?
    I've already tried (and loved) animating characters in 3ds max - and this was way back with max 5.
    This animation store you speak of, is that an online interface within max 2013?

Mostly interested in your favorite software to use for setting up and rendering character animations.
    For me, 3-7 thousand is out of my budget. Luckily, I have been finding that the style I've created for myself using Daz3d's Carrara 8 pro will allow me to animate and render pretty much everything I need for the video footage. I still need to learn particles and physics possibilities and combining those with other methods for creating stunning visual effects - again, I feel that Carrara will be able to help me to pull that off.

However, the flexibility of 3ds max and the multitudes of plugins available for it is astounding. Maybe one day I should consider either max or maya

• solomonsolomon Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

That's awesome!
    So, it looks like (from the interview) you really enjoy using 3ds max 2013
    If you would, could you tell me:

Do you create your own characters/rigging or can you purchase figures for 3ds, like you would from Daz3d?
    I've already tried (and loved) animating characters in 3ds max - and this was way back with max 5.
    This animation store you speak of, is that an online interface within max 2013?

Mostly interested in your favorite software to use for setting up and rendering character animations.
    For me, 3-7 thousand is out of my budget. Luckily, I have been finding that the style I've created for myself using Daz3d's Carrara 8 pro will allow me to animate and render pretty much everything I need for the video footage. I still need to learn particles and physics possibilities and combining those with other methods for creating stunning visual effects - again, I feel that Carrara will be able to help me to pull that off.

However, the flexibility of 3ds max and the multitudes of plugins available for it is astounding. Maybe one day I should consider either max or maya

Yes, I am definitely enjoying working with 3DS Max.

You can create your own characters in 3DS Max and Rig them using the built in CAT bone system and the Biped Bone system. You can also purchase models here on DAZ3D and use them inside of 3DS max, since most of them are already pre-rigged.

Yes, the animation store is built into the Interface, so you don't have to go off to a website and you can preview the mocap on the characters right there in the interface.

I think ultimately it comes down to the software you are comfortable with and what the end result turns out to be ~ if you are happy with the results, then the software becomes secondary ~ but if you intend to find a job in the CG industry, then you definitely need to at least learn the packages used by Studios that are hiring: ie: Maya, Max, Cinema4D, Lightwave, Softimage, Mudbox, Zbrush.

As a a hobbyist, you can pretty much use whatever comes easiest to you.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191
    edited December 1969

Very nice work. I've thought about getting into Max, especially since there seems to be a LOT of content available (3D World DVD's, e.g.) But so far I've stuck with Carrara due to the direct support of Poser content. We'll see where DAZ is headed ... I may have to reconsider.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited December 1969

Well I certainly like what you've done - and look forward to seeing more!

I find myself in the lucky position that, Carrara has been fully capable of getting my animations to look just the way I wanted them from the start, which is what ultimately led me towards its purchase. I feel that the current dev team at Daz is entirely capable of keeping my software alive. The latest 8.5 beta (build 172) is fabulous, so I'm eager to see what we have in store (looking even further forward) when they decide to develop Carrara 9 Pro!

Further, I think that Mixamo made the right decision bringing you on board, as I am certainly ready to go there and purchase some of those anim clips!

Thanks solomon,
    Dartanbeck

edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    Very nice work. I've thought about getting into Max, especially since there seems to be a LOT of content available (3D World DVD's, e.g.) But so far I've stuck with Carrara due to the direct support of Poser content. We'll see where DAZ is headed ... I may have to reconsider.

Thanks Steve :) Happy New year

edited December 1969

Well I certainly like what you've done - and look forward to seeing more!

I find myself in the lucky position that, Carrara has been fully capable of getting my animations to look just the way I wanted them from the start, which is what ultimately led me towards its purchase. I feel that the current dev team at Daz is entirely capable of keeping my software alive. The latest 8.5 beta (build 172) is fabulous, so I'm eager to see what we have in store (looking even further forward) when they decide to develop Carrara 9 Pro!

Further, I think that Mixamo made the right decision bringing you on board, as I am certainly ready to go there and purchase some of those anim clips!

Thanks solomon,
    Dartanbeck

Much appreciation Dartanbeck, I look forward to seeing your work. Happy New Year!!