Bumpyness crashes Bryce every time.

2»

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,124
    edited December 1969

Another displacement experiment. A spherical height map was used for displacement. The height of the mountains is very much exaggerated. Displacement is coarse and there are also errors. Once it works correctly and has a fine resolution, we can create planets.

EarthInSpace.jpg
    1600 x 1067 - 263K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Both of your previous images are very interesting. I like the results.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited March 2013

Horo said:
    Been also experimenting a bit with displacement, which works without crashing Bryce if you set the render priority to Low before you displace.

Thanks for this bit of information, Horo. I was having nonstop crashes during spot renders, but this fixed it.

Incidentally, if this is a problem and your scene is crashing right away when you open it, you MAY be able to salvage that scene if it loaded and proceeded to do a render if you can quick click somewhere to cancel the render, then make this fix or eliminate the problem item.

Another displacement-related issue I had, with a workaround: I applied displacement to a sphere, and noticed that during rendering, it was rendered squared off and resembled a cube. However if I re-render the area with spot-render, then re-render, it renders correctly.

Is it possible to use the results of the displacement as the negative portion of a boolean operation? I tried and couldn't get it to happen, but I'm not sure if that's because it doesn't work that way or if I was just doing something incorrectly.

Post edited by sriesch on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Been also experimenting a bit with displacement, which works without crashing Bryce if you set the render priority to Low before you displace.

Thanks for this bit of information, Horo. I was having nonstop crashes during spot renders, but this fixed it.

Incidentally, if this is a problem and your scene is crashing right away when you open it, you MAY be able to salvage that scene if it loaded and proceeded to do a render if you can quick click somewhere to cancel the render, then make this fix or eliminate the problem item.

Another displacement-related issue I had, with a workaround: I applied displacement to a sphere, and noticed that during rendering, it was rendered squared off and resembled a cube. However if I re-render the area with spot-render, then re-render, it renders correctly.

Is it possible to use the results of the displacement as the negative portion of a boolean operation? I tried and couldn't get it to happen, but I'm not sure if that's because it doesn't work that way or if I was just doing something incorrectly.

The links in the post from Stephen might offer some insights, seems he too has taken an interest in this very topic.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18638/#280291

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,124
    edited December 1969

Start Bryce first, then load the file. It will not start to render automatically as if you double click on the file, which then launches Bryce.
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Displacement and bump are entirely different features. Bump uses shading to create the impression of added geometry, while displacement literally creates new geometry. It is in the generation of the added geometry that Bryce gets fouled up with displacement. Bryce uses a micro-polygon displacement that is controlled in the Attributes tab at the very bottom. Only once you have enabled displacement in the material lab does this option become ungrayed out in the attributes tab. The smaller the microplygon size the more polygons are created and the more ram is required. Try using larger settings like .05. You only have a few moments from the time you first enable displacement to quickly get over to the attributes and lower the default micropolygon quality from default .0.1 to a larger setting.

Displacement never quite got completed in the most recent dev cycle. Clearly it is the top of the list for the next cycle if that indeed happens. There's the short and the skinny.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread - but I wanted to thank you!

I had to turn off auto-update to stop the crashing before I got to the attributes - but now it renders!

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791

Bump (top) and bump+displacement at 0.6 (bottom) views below of a section of the Moon.

Jay

DisplacedMoon.jpg
    1200 x 698 - 712K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756

Wonderfull experiments, people. And thanks for all the information.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

I have found keeping displacement below 0.9 and leaving it as the last thing to do, aftere saving, closing and re-opening the scene before rendering, sometimes helps.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433

Only last week, I was trying to add displacement to a terrain object... It took ages to think about it (about 25 minutes in the mat lab) and then the result was it had no effect what-so-ever... Wish I'd remembered this thread last week. laugh