BVH tip

If you are working with BVH (will save you a lot of time), try others besides the "famous" 2000+ Mocap download. Many others will work too and are much cleaner. With the mocap download, I have to do a lot of tweaking to get the problems out. Search Google for BVH free, or something like that.

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Hi Pjotter!

I often/always use the .bvh files, but it's a base for my animations, they never fit my real needs and I must always delete a few "crazy isolated keyframes" and also all the range of keyframes for a body part.

That's the reason I prefer to use the Generation 3, they needs not so much work to animate.

Here a good tip from Conrad 3DC for retargetting BVH to Carrara:

Thank you for your interest in animation !

• the bvh files work better if you import it as a skeleton as well as on a figure and have the figures hip track the skeleton's hip

• PjotterPjotter Posts: 274

I know DanceForms. The problem is, it doesn't run on my Windows 10 pc. Same for an older pc with Windows 7. It refuse to run or crashes. DanceForms runs only on my very old laptop with Windows 98. It means I have to switch files with an USB stick.

Are you using Genesis 3 in Carrara? I thought this was a problem. My main figures are Genesis 1, so I am stick to those.

I have tried many ways for importing. Some are betters as others. The forward movement is always way off. And I think the files themselves are messy.

I now have a walk cycle from a different source. It is only 13 frames. Way easier to edit.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

I don't use Genesis but for the walk/Run moves, I love the very good Walk Designer in Poser.

I use also Poser to import the DS/Animate files and convert them in .pz2 for use in Carrara.

• PjotterPjotter Posts: 274

I have worked with WalkDesigner. It is good, but very limited, because it has only walks. It cannot fight, dance or throw things. That is why I skipped it. I prefer having one workflow.

The point I am trying to make here, is to look beyond the "famous" Mocap files. There are many more. Some do not work without conversion (DanceForms), but many do and are cleaner as the 2500 files.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

thanks for that warning. often 'free' isn't really ... free.

FWIW, I've got dancemorms working 'normally' (without any compatibilty modes) on both W7 and W10 - both are home editions.

I've crashed it, but no more-so than most complex programs.

I've gotten the mixamo set to work with Genesis pretty well, and those seem pretty well-done.

(I need to write up how I did that on the mixamo thread that's out there. I believe they still think it can't be done.)

cheers,

--ms

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    mindsong said:

thanks for that warning. often 'free' isn't really ... free.

FWIW, I've got dancemorms working 'normally' (without any compatibilty modes) on both W7 and W10 - both are home editions.

I've crashed it, but no more-so than most complex programs.

I've gotten the mixamo set to work with Genesis pretty well, and those seem pretty well-done.

(I need to write up how I did that on the mixamo thread that's out there. I believe they still think it can't be done.)

cheers,

--ms

Post it in our thread 

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8916/buy-something-that-doesn-t-work-in-carrara-post-your-questions-and-workarounds-here-please#latest