I have new pwSurface 2 shader presets

Type 0 NegativeType 0 Negative Posts: 323
edited March 2013 in The Commons

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/pwsurface-2

I made some new pwSurface 2 shader presets

I submitted them to DAZ but heard nothing? I wanted to try to sell them in the store here.
I have been wondering though why there are not any other add-on pwSurface 2 shaders?
Is it okay to sell them?
I wonder if making pwSurface 2 shaders is some type of copyright issue.
Why, after all this time there are no add-on shader presets?

I opened this in the Commons, but maybe it should have gone in either “Developer Discussion” or “Commercial Products.” Couldn’t decide because I finished Developing them, and it is not a Commercial because they are not for sale yet; this thread is okay here I hope?

Some samples are on sharecg now,
http://www.sharecg.com/v/66210/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Art_of_Mind-Sample-Shaders

*Update

There has been a slight update only to the folder structure; the interior files however remain unchanged.

Be sure that my main content folder is merged with your content folder.
The correct path should be,
Studio\Content\Shaders\Art_of_Mind

It should not be,
Studio\Content\Content\Shaders\Art_of_Mind

If you have a Content folder inside of your Content folder,
To fix it,
Open the first Content folder, and then drag its interior Content folder out onto your desktop, then drag it from your desktop into your Studio folder. Windows will ask you if you want to merge the contents, select yes.

(Update)
I am giving away the work I done on the Candle Wax, Charmed Minerals and Unique Hair.
120 new pwSurface2 shaders and material settings
40 Candle Wax Shader Presets
40 Charmed Minerals Shader Presets
40 Unique Hair Material Settings
http://www.sharecg.com/v/67793/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Art_of_Mind-Shaders

I'm also sharing my render settings.

Render_Settings.jpg
650 x 291 - 30K
Post edited by Type 0 Negative on

Comments

• Type 0 NegativeType 0 Negative Posts: 323
    edited December 1969

Images for "Charmed Minerals"
    You must have pwSurface 2 installed before they will work.

Stone_5.jpg
    500 x 650 - 41K
    Stone_4.jpg
    500 x 650 - 41K
    Stone_3.jpg
    500 x 650 - 44K
    Stone_2.jpg
    500 x 650 - 42K
    Stone_1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 43K
    edited December 1969

Images for “Candle Wax”

Candle_5.jpg
    500 x 650 - 24K
    Candle_4.jpg
    500 x 650 - 29K
    Candle_3.jpg
    500 x 650 - 29K
    Candle_2.jpg
    500 x 650 - 28K
    Candle_1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 27K
    edited December 1969

thumbnails

all_wax.jpg
    581 x 437 - 43K
    all_stone.jpg
    579 x 442 - 48K
    edited December 2012

The closer you put a pontlight to the "Candle Wax" Shaders the more interesting they become. There is only one light in the scene and it is a pointlight above the candle.

example.jpg
    1081 x 1528 - 62K
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969

These look really good - I love the wax I've been trying to get a wax look using Ubersurface didn't get anything I liked.
    I have heard that Daz take a long time to answer about submitted products.
    I also wonder if its got anything to do with the fact that DS now comes with Ubersurface installed and the PWsurface shader is a purchasable product.
    Having said that I would be interested in these. I've had PW surface for ages and rarely use it.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I agree I would buy these also....looking good.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

SALIVATING BIGTIME!

I have a quetion: do PWSurface shaders have their own block or do they work under DAZ Default Shaders and/or UberSurface Shaders?

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

They look really good, especially the wax shaders. Hope they will make their way into the store.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 2012

wancow said:
    SALIVATING BIGTIME!

I have a quetion: do PWSurface shaders have their own block or do they work under DAZ Default Shaders and/or UberSurface Shaders?

No they are separate from the Default and UberSurface Shaders
    Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

I was holding back a little.
    I have also made twenty pwSurface 2 material presets; will work on any hair.

Promo renders on these I’m not happy with but thought I would share what I’ve done so far.

I am highly considering uploading some of my work to ShareGC at the moment, I think maybe create one of each,
    a new wax color,
    a new charmed mineral color,
    and a new hair color,
    the three new colors I come up with will be like bonus items that will not be included in the sets. Makes sense right? Hopefully if I get some work out there and get some positive feedback it might help these things in the store I hope.

But before I do, these questions remain.
    I have been wondering why there are not any other add-on pwSurface 2 shaders?
    Is it okay to sell them?
    I wonder if making pwSurface 2 shaders is some type of copyright issue.
    Why, after all this time are there are no add-on shader presets?

edited December 2012

Images for “Unique Hair”

Hair_5.png
    500 x 650 - 450K
    Hair_4.png
    500 x 650 - 473K
    Hair_3.png
    500 x 650 - 469K
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Wow. Where was this when I was setting up this year's Christmas renders? :) I used pwSurface's Purple Goo instead (since I was doing advent calendars, so I certainly would have been willing to purchase and use these.

Honestly, I can't wrap my head around customizing HSS/Ubersurface beyond tweaking the diffuse/specular the way I can the pwShaders. Couldn't tell you why, either. So when I need to do something with advanced shaders, the pwShaders are my go-to set. (and I'm still bummed that pwSketch didn't get sold/updated.)

Of course, that may be why there aren't a lot of presets for the pwShaders. Maybe they're easier for more than just me. :)

edited December 1969

Sincerest Thanks For Everyons Kind Words,

Here are the hair colors,

thumbnails.jpg
    583 x 439 - 41K
  • CreekyPointStudiosCreekyPointStudios Posts: 26
    edited December 1969

*adds name to list of peeps wanting to buy :)

I especially like the candle wax ones - the way the light works with the shader is very realistic - well done :)

edited December 1969

On sharecg now,

I’ve created three new colors to add to each category,

Candle Wax: Cerulean Wax
    Charmed Minerals: Black Pearl
    Unique Hair: Platinum

If I can ever get these available for sale these three new colors will not be included in the sets, these are so you can play now and test my work for me please. I suppose it is safe to create your own custom pwSurface 2 shader presets and distribute them; I’ve not head a “no” yet and other custom pwSurface 2 shader presets are available. Sincerely hope and pray this is okay.

Have fun and I hope these work for all interested.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

On sharecg now,

I’ve created three new colors to add to each category,

Candle Wax: Cerulean Wax
    Charmed Minerals: Black Pearl
    Unique Hair: Platinum

If I can ever get these available for sale these three new colors will not be included in the sets, these are so you can play now and test my work for me please. I suppose it is safe to create your own custom pwSurface 2 shader presets and distribute them; I’ve not head a “no” yet and other custom pwSurface 2 shader presets are available. Sincerely hope and pray this is okay.

Have fun and I hope these work for all interested.

Thank you for making these available and yes this is ok to distribute as long as you are not packing the shader itself to go with ;) so just the presets.

Good luck with your product and off to play a bit with the presets :)

edited December 1969

I am happy that you all like my shaders.

I've returned to show a new one that I've worked really hard on.
    This is suppose to be glitter.
    I'm asking for an opinion because at the moment this is as close as I can get to glitter.
    Is it good enough to call finished?
    I've even made it so there are four different sizes.

glitter_example_2.jpg
    1081 x 1528 - 516K
    Example_Glitter.jpg
    1081 x 1528 - 218K
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,860
    edited December 1969

The glitter looks ok but the glitter effect is all in the texture so the overall look will depend on how close the camera is and how much the texture is tiled.

edited December 1969

Looking at the shader on the vest and dress, it looks like lame (that's "la-may", the fabric - http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fabric.php?product=LAME1 , not lame as in weak. ;) )

Not that that's a bad thing. Glitter has random faces that are really shiny. The larger tiles look about right, but the smaller tiles look more like fabric.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx and DaWaterRat I sincerely thank you two for your honest input.

I custom made images inserting an image into the Diffuse Color, Bump, Displacment and Reflection surface areas.
    In my efforts I had narrowed it down to 3 different bump, diffuse settings, I was happiest with the image I posted eariler.
    Here are the three I narrowed it down too.
    Image at the top is a repost of the first image.
    The image in the middle shows the bump and displacment turned up a bit.
    The third image shows bump and displacmet turned up a bit more.

I will appreciatively consider any advice on making these more suitable.

examples.jpg
    1081 x 1968 - 395K
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

I like them, even if they are not exactly like glitter ... lol. I can visualize this texture on a lot of things. :D

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,860
    edited December 1969

Of the 3 I like the top one the best. With the Bump turned up that high the other two are looking more like shiny cement.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 2012

I was actually thinking there shouldn't be a bump at all. Glitter is usually 'inside' whatever (paint, material) unlike sequins. The coloration looks nice, it was the first thing I noticed and it definitely draws your eye in a good way :)

If bump/displacement is how you are getting the reflection effect then maybe a control for the size of the noise in the displacement/bump depending on distance from the camera? No idea if it would work but worth a shot.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

I have not had much opportunity to try these shaders in DS3, but I did tonight. The CharmedMinerals, when used as fabric, looks like brushed silk to me. So soft with a delicate glow :D

Below, you'll see it as the amethyst top. I mostly used it to assure those of us who still prefer DS3 are certainly able to use these new shaders.

Thanks for letting me test these, Art :D

norm_version.jpg
    466 x 700 - 283K
  • Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

Oh, this is excellent. Thank you!

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited February 2013

Add me to the list of buyers.

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,486
    edited December 1969

me too! especially for the hair shaders!!!!!! these are gorgeous!

edited December 1969

Okay, I've been watching this thread but I would never post in it unless it was already on the first page of the commons.
    I never heard anything from DAZ and sadly there were only 137 downloads on sharecg.
    I see little to no chance of these things ever getting sold.
    I am giving giving up on the glitter shaders.
    I am giving away the work I done on the Candle Wax, Charmed Minerals and Unique Hair.
    120 new pwSurface2 shaders and material settings
    40 Candle Wax Shader Presets
    40 Charmed Minerals Shader Presets
    40 Unique Hair Material Settings
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/67793/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Art_of_Mind-Shaders
    please read the Read Me
    I hope they work for you all, it would bring me a lot of joy to see them used in a reader or two.

edited December 1969

This is very generous of you. I'm sorry that you didn't hear back from DAZ at all.

Now that you've put them up on ShareCG, it may be a little late, but did you consider offering these to Renderosity? Heck, did you poke DAZ at all about your initial inquiry? I mean, yes, they should have gotten back to you by now, but sometimes people need a reminder.

edited December 1969

This is very generous of you. I'm sorry that you didn't hear back from DAZ at all.

Now that you've put them up on ShareCG, it may be a little late, but did you consider offering these to Renderosity? Heck, did you poke DAZ at all about your initial inquiry? I mean, yes, they should have gotten back to you by now, but sometimes people need a reminder.

With only 137 downloads I dont think interest was strong enough to try and market this.
    I am greatful for all of you that supported my work and gave me a chance.