I hate you def_surf_mat

ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
edited December 1969 in New Users

Once again, hours of work down the toilet because somehow all my materials got set to Shader Domains in Hexagon got set to def_surf_mat when I sent the figure to Daz.

I hate you so much def_surf_mat. I will never buy any of your albums or see any of your concerts. :vampire:

Comments

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

The Shader Domains are showing up in the Surface Colour tab but they but I can't assign any polygons to them in the Polygon editor even though they are there. Everything is stuck on def_surf_mat.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited November 2012

.... tippy toeing in .... the program Hexagon is a tad touchy, k.

Sometimes we can spend hours perfecting our masterpieces and then, oh maybe hit one too many or misplaced, who knows, "Edit > undo" ... and all the shading domains go "poof".

They would need to be redone in Hexagon. Save Project. Click on page to be sure it's saved [no little * after the name], then export out the treasure.

All the shading domains "must have" their "own names" and their "own" colours/textures. There's a little goofy in communication between these 2 programs and if perchance all the shading domains had for example, the default shading material assigned to them; well, they'd all be given the very same shading domain/mat zone in D/S.

Edit: okay I'm seeing another post there now that you do have the zones showing, just with them all with the same texture assignment.
    Still, might want to check back in Hexagon to be sure that they all had their "own" colour before export. Oh yes, sometimes in order for a material name to "take" in Hexagon, we have to use the "Enter key" to validate it ... and don't worry about that little window going blank. Just turns more hair grey. Everything is fine when the next shading domain is picked.

Post edited by patience55 on
  • ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

I keep forgetting I have to double check everything after sending it to Daz. Luckily I was able to just resurface the shaders then fit the new figure to the one I was working on and everything worked out fine.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Sometimes we can spend hours perfecting our masterpieces and then, oh maybe hit one too many or misplaced, who knows, "Edit > undo" ... and all the shading domains go "poof".

They would need to be redone in Hexagon. Save Project. Click on page to be sure it's saved [no little * after the name], then export out the treasure.

All the shading domains "must have" their "own names" and their "own" colours/textures. There's a little goofy in communication between these 2 programs and if perchance all the shading domains had for example, the default shading material assigned to them; well, they'd all be given the very same shading domain/mat zone in D/S.

Edit: okay I'm seeing another post there now that you do have the zones showing, just with them all with the same texture assignment.
    Still, might want to check back in Hexagon to be sure that they all had their "own" colour before export. Oh yes, sometimes in order for a material name to "take" in Hexagon, we have to use the "Enter key" to validate it ... and don't worry about that little window going blank. Just turns more hair grey. Everything is fine when the next shading domain is picked.

And people talk about Blender being difficult to learn, clunky and not doing things 'right'...

Yeah, it may mangle group names on occasion, but I've never had that kind of trouble.

The only piece of advice I had, was covered...unique names...that's one thing I have learned about Hex, so far...it doesn't tolerate 'sameness' very well. If something isn't named clearly and uniquely, it dumps some default moniker on it...

edited December 1969

I keep forgetting I have to double check everything after sending it to Daz. Luckily I was able to just resurface the shaders then fit the new figure to the one I was working on and everything worked out fine.

Wonderful :-)

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

And people talk about Blender being difficult to learn, clunky and not doing things 'right'...

Yeah, it may mangle group names on occasion, but I've never had that kind of trouble.

The only piece of advice I had, was covered...unique names...that's one thing I have learned about Hex, so far...it doesn't tolerate 'sameness' very well. If something isn't named clearly and uniquely, it dumps some default moniker on it...

It also likes to turn 'everything' grey ... even imports of its own exports. I do make jokes about Hexagon from time to time but it is my pet modeling program because of its easy interface. Save often!