Duf compressed text editor, please

martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Are there any text editor to view/edit compressed duf files without uncompress it?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    Are there any text editor to view/edit compressed duf files without uncompress it?

For Windows?

Found one that will, with some serious setup work, be able to...but no 'off the shelf' ones.

Vim for Windows should, but it requires adding the file type to the file and making sure the compression libraries are set up correctly...as it comes, the dsf and duf files aren't recognized, so they aren't decompressed/compressed automatically.

http://www.vim.org/about.php

There are other Windows text editors that can edit compressed files, on the fly, but they do not actually go by what the file is, but what it's extension is...and I haven't found any others that offer a way of updating/including new file extensions. (basically if the editor goes by 'type'...which would be something like 'gzip/compressed' it should be able to edit it on the fly without caring about its extension).

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

You can always decompress and re-compress in studio using the batch convert window.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    gilikshe said:

For Windows?

Found one that will, with some serious setup work, be able to...but no 'off the shelf' ones.

Vim for Windows should, but it requires adding the file type to the file and making sure the compression libraries are set up correctly...as it comes, the dsf and duf files aren't recognized, so they aren't decompressed/compressed automatically.

There are other Windows text editors that can edit compressed files, on the fly, but they do not actually go by what the file is, but what it's extension is...and I haven't found any others that offer a way of updating/including new file extensions. (basically if the editor goes by 'type'...which would be something like 'gzip/compressed' it should be able to edit it on the fly without caring about its extension).

Well, sorta. vim will actually decompress the file to the temp area defined for the system, then load it, then make any changes, and then recompress it. Whether the temp file is deleted is sort of random, even on Linux. As far as I know there is no editor that works directly on the compressed file, as doing this leads to some real complications. It really isn't that hard to create a .bat file to decompress a file and then load it into the editor, and then a matching .bat to recompress and delete the temp file.

Kendall

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    gilikshe said:

For Windows?

Yes, windows. Thanks.

edited December 1969

Khory said:
    You can always decompress and re-compress in studio using the batch convert window.

Yes, thanks. But this is exactly the thing that I wanted to avoid. Although It seem the only option if vim doesn't work to me.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    gilikshe said:

For Windows?

Well, sorta. vim will actually decompress the file to the temp area defined for the system, then load it, then make any changes, and then recompress it. Whether the temp file is deleted is sort of random, even on Linux. As far as I know there is no editor that works directly on the compressed file, as doing this leads to some real complications. It really isn't that hard to create a .bat file to decompress a file and then load it into the editor, and then a matching .bat to recompress and delete the temp file.

Kendall

Then, the only difference with DS batch is that the process is transparent for user. So look less complicated the batch converter. I will try vim anyway. Thanks

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    mjc1016 said:
    gilikshe said:

For Windows?

Kendall

Then, the only difference with DS batch is that the process is transparent for user. So look less complicated the batch converter. I will try vim anyway. Thanks

The gzip.vim file, in the plugins folder needs to be altered...