iray

Is Iray of any use in Carrara or is that only useful in Daz Studio?

Thanks

Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Iray is a render engine and it uses "PBR" shaders that are quite different to the regular shaders that Carrara uses. That said, you can load items that have Iray shaders into Carrara, but you'll need to put some effort into adjusting the shaders to look good. (reattach normal maps, convert roughness maps to glossiness maps and adjust, metallic maps may or may not work in the reflection channel with some adjustment, plus there are potentially many other settings that may or may not convert easily. You'll have an easier time converting 3Delight or Poser shaders.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224

Iray is a render engine and it uses "PBR" shaders that are quite different to the regular shaders that Carrara uses. That said, you can load items that have Iray shaders into Carrara, but you'll need to put some effort into adjusting the shaders to look good. (reattach normal maps, convert roughness maps to glossiness maps and adjust, metallic maps may or may not work in the reflection channel with some adjustment, plus there are potentially many other settings that may or may not convert easily. You'll have an easier time converting 3Delight or Poser shaders.

Ahhh! So that explains the suffix differences I've been finding! Gotcha! Thanks TangoAlpha!

I've been figuring them out on my own - just by looking at them/tweaking them, etc., 

So I wonder if anyone will make an nVidia Iray plugin for Carrara? Have you tried LuxusCore? That was pretty impressive - but the timing ran out on the beta without any further word from the developer.