*** JUNE New Users Contest. ***

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Beginner's Contest: "June 2012"
Sponsored by DAZ3D

"Beginning to see the Light"

(studying how light can make or break a render)

We decided to settle on making it a Portrait contest. So use portrait format 800 high by 600 wide (because of the current forum size restrictions) and make a portrait of someone, using whichever figure you prefer.

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit and feel that your level of skills are still coming up short? Well then come and join the fun!

People will be popping in to the WIP thread to give you some critique and advice on how to tweak the lighting to really make your render "Pop"

Again this year, because this contest is designed for the beginner to learn from, we will be randomly selecting posts offering helpful tips and/or critiques to receive a special voucher also

Please post your preliminary renders in the WIP thread, and only post the finished render in this thread when you are happy to say that it is finished.

Closing Date 29th June 2012

For the rules, please see this thread http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/754/

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on

Comments

• Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Chohole? I already have a finished portrait can I drop it here or not? I don`t want to spoil the thread so thought I should ask first.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

Yeah if you feel it's done and don't need any feedback on it, feel free.

edited December 1969

Click for full size image.

Pulled this out of the oven today.

Roberto melo`s Bruuna body morphs
    Amy elite textures
    Daiquiri dress with anna lee mats
    Sapphire fox hair with blonde mats

Rendered in Reality 2.2 with LUXrender.

blonde_bombshell.jpg
    618 x 800 - 384K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

We would really rather see it in WIP first, because these are supposed to be instructional contests rather than just staright post your render contests. If you see what I maen.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    We would really rather see it in WIP first, because these are supposed to be instructional contests rather than just staright post your render contests. If you see what I maen.

Ok no worries, I withdraw the image. Thats why I asked first but frank said it was ok.

edited June 2012

No don't withdraw the image, we haven't pulled it to bits yet, :coolgrin: just put it over in the WIP thread.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If I may. I think Mike considers that image Done. If that is the case isn't posting it as a final the proper thing to do?

• mhomes_047ff78b8dmhomes_047ff78b8d Posts: 18
    edited June 2012

This is my entry to the portrait contest.

This image was created in Daz Studio Pro and touched up slightly in Corel Photoshop X4

If I was to title this, it would be called - "Belle"
    -Layden

Belle7.jpg
    530 x 591 - 75K
    Post edited by mhomes_047ff78b8d on
  • edited December 1969

Here is the first image both raw and post-worked one that I have done so far. I'm still not happy with the little details, I'm thinking of going in to add wear and tear on the chair it's self.

I've used genesis with the cyborg super-suit preset with Aldora hair. That is the command chair inside the generic scifi hallway. I went and deleted many of the lights so that I only have four spotlights on her. One red from the left side and behind and then the other three in an arc in front of her. The one of the far right in front of her is the one that I set for shadows.

Post work is just emphasizing the highlights, shadows, and skin tone a bit, blurring them in photoshop to try and get more of a light bounce effect.

command_seat_composite.jpg
    600 x 800 - 233K
    command_seat_1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 335K
  • edited December 1969

Title: Isn’t She Lovely

Software Used: Daz Studio 4

Models: Genesis with custom dialed shape.

Mat: Niara for Victoria 5

Wardrobe: Faith Vest for Victoria 4

Hair: Casey Hair for Victoria 4

Effects: N/A

Environment: N/A

Goal: To learn how to properly light a portrait render. I ended up using 8 spotlights to create this render. I must say I am pleasantly surprised by the final output. Thanks for the excellent learning opportunity. Daz Studio - FTW!!!

Keisha_Pink_Top_Blue_Halo_Background_-_Forums.jpg
    600 x 800 - 203K
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Title: Portrait
    I used Daz3 and a little bit Photoshop

Nieuw_final_verkl.jpg
    679 x 800 - 434K
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited June 2012

Title Keep on, please.

application daz 4 pro

3Delight rey tracing

figure genesis
    mix few morph and my handmade morph

wardlobe Green and gold Onyx

(I am so happy, because , I can feel story of her while I am challenging the evnents.
    I put my hert into this picture to bring it to my image.

and "she" remind me the short story of Raymond Carver which I have forgotten long time.

right , top corner , maybe to blight. .(do not you think so?)

but I hope a glimmer cause her to happyness ,so set the light on there.
    now I feel, 3D Rendering is potteryceramic art. )

keepon.jpg
    600 x 800 - 279K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • berriboyberriboy Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

My first entry for June.

Title: Medieval

Thanks to Dollygirl for the links to add the finishing touches

portrait008.jpg
    600 x 800 - 376K
    edited December 1969

My second entry for June titled ...................... (feel free to fill in the blank space 'cause I never know what to call them)

DS4 render no postwork

portrait009.jpg
    600 x 800 - 362K
  • edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Here is the first image both raw and post-worked one that I have done so far. I'm still not happy with the little details, I'm thinking of going in to add wear and tear on the chair it's self.

I've used genesis with the cyborg super-suit preset with Aldora hair. That is the command chair inside the generic scifi hallway. I went and deleted many of the lights so that I only have four spotlights on her. One red from the left side and behind and then the other three in an arc in front of her. The one of the far right in front of her is the one that I set for shadows.

Post work is just emphasizing the highlights, shadows, and skin tone a bit, blurring them in photoshop to try and get more of a light bounce effect.

I love the effect of the clear monitor and the sci-fi theme. I would however move the scene to the background and put her 2/3rds off to the side looking at the camera. Kind of like a military graduation picture. Maybe make the picture a Captain's picture with the bridge and the cool clear monitors with the bridge crew in the background.
    That supersuit looks pretty neat. I have bought it but not gotten it out of the box yet.

Thank you Dolly and sorry it took me so long. Work has not been nice this week. I love how the monitor turned out and I haven't had a chance to play with sci fi ideas for a while. The super suit has been fun to play with it and with the cape, boots, and belts that came out I've been playing with it nonstop for a few days now.

Ill try doing the pose you suggested, but I think I'll use a different preset for the suit for it. I've never been one for the traditional portraits like graduation pictures where you stare off to the side, but I'll give it a try. Though I might do it with a different suit and situation, maybe a hero getting their picture taken for a magazine.

Here is another image of the same model, just a different pose and monitor effects. I got these form the hero fx line. I'm trying to change up the angle of the lighting for different shadows as well as rending each light separetly. I'm trying to see if breaking it up and combining it in post work gets me a better effect (and less crashes) then all the lights at once.

Medical_bay.jpg
    339 x 480 - 86K
  • ifourdezignifourdezign Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Version 3 may I be cheeky and ask where you got your Cross Pendant... I've been trying to obtain something similar for a recent render. Nice to see a modern day render so to speak as opposed to fantasy. :)

edited December 1969

Thought it was time I shared my first DAZ renders with peeps. I have three to share..if this is not allowed please state. But they are already PF pieces and I'm not intending to do any further work on them ATM. But all helpful comments appreciated.

RENDER 1

Regeneration

Daz Studio 4 Pro

Small amount of postwork applied to lighting and character

Mix of M4 / M5 clothing

The character shown has been morphed and intended for personal use only. It will not be resold or shared for distribution elsewhere.

Regeneration_(Small_for_Daz).jpg
    600 x 776 - 343K
    edited December 1969

Version 3 may I be cheeky and ask where you got your Cross Pendant... I've been trying to obtain something similar for a recent render. Nice to see a modern day render so to speak as opposed to fantasy. :)

You sure can, the cross came as part of Aven Clothing for Genesis and has plenty of morphs to fit the figure or the clothing.

Hope this helps you out.

edited December 1969

RENDER 2

Window Pain

Daz Studio 4 Pro

No postwork applied

M5

(I have applied a spot cover over anything considered unsuitable for younger viewers)

The character shown has been morphed and intended for personal use only. It will not be resold or shared for distribution elsewhere.

Window_Pain_(Daz_small).jpg
    550 x 687 - 132K
    edited December 1969

version3 said:

You sure can, the cross came as part of Aven Clothing for Genesis and has plenty of morphs to fit the figure or the clothing.

Hope this helps you out.

Yes that helps a lot. Excellent Thank you :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I was only asking if you considered yourself a New User and if you were entering the Contest. I suggested the WIP thread just in case some of the mentors might have ideas to improve on your renders eventhough you consider then finished. I never intended to say that you should not post your art work. Please understand that I was just trying to be helpfull and nothing else.

edited June 2012

I am definitely a new user - I've not posted any renders at all and these are literally my first - As I said I don't want to upset anyone, just wanted to share my work. But I would also be lying if I said they were WIPs because they are not. (Only if I choose to make any changes)

So, it probably should say - YOU MUST include your work as a WIP before you are able to enter HERE into the finished section.

That way I wouldn't have considered my work for entry :)

I'm not offended if I'm asked to remove it. Just wanted to be sure I was doing right by posting them

I also realise that saying I don't want advice on these may come across arrogant - not at all - I welcome advice but I also would have posted into the WIP had I felt that I needed it on these in particular......TBH it still sounds wrong......Anyway. If you want to remove feel free. Not going to sue or punch anyone over it...Honest :)

Post edited by ifourdezign on
    edited June 2012

Please we don't want this sort of debate in the contest thread. I will be Moving this also into the thread I have created for you, while you make up your mind which 2 of your renders are your contest entries.

It does say in the first post that there is a WIP thread, and it also says please post in there first., sorry if it was not clear enough. We will try and remedy that in the next months contest.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • JohnVDB_1JohnVDB_1 Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

Title: In Thoughts

I was playing with some light settings and this is what the result was.

Character:Daz V4 with o'rourke mats and morphs.

o_rourke2.jpg
    584 x 778 - 165K
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

This picture is my second entry.

Title : Light of soul

model : genesis V5 Rilley,etc

skin texture : manami
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/manami/

wardlobe : Eweyai for V4
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/eweyai-for-v4/

hair
    Aldora Hair for Genesis

=========================================
    Thanks so much all teachers and fellowes in WTP topic.

(Thanks JimmyC_2009, he suggested me to try this contest If I hope
    more advices. )

(Jimmy where are you? you said you would advices to me,
    if I challenge!. did you change HN? I missed my first teacher in forum)

about this picture.

My 2 trouble point.

plan1

set point light in the sphere, then make soul ball
    it was easy idea,, but adjustment was so difficult for me.

actually, it is beginners luck, it is too good for me.

plan2

point light may make simple contrust,
    then I want make another contrast on her skin.

so set cylinder for background .
    first I covered all her body, but It makes blanck.

so I translated and lotate the cover,
    then set her parts of body come out from cylinder.
    and adjust material, position of camera and main light.

(back light is Linear point light)

yeah!! I have finished my homework!! :lol:

Now I wanna make "so exciting sceane?!" for myself! :coolsmile:

meige4.jpg
    600 x 800 - 298K
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

My second entry.

I used four spotlights and a little bit Photoshop

Title: Sorrow
    Daz 3 and a little bit Photoshop

doll_1.jpg
    608 x 800 - 472K
  • edited December 1969

Here's my second, second image for the lighting contest. Let me know what you think.

Sad_Girl.jpg
    600 x 800 - 505K
  • FobokFobok Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

Title: Boy on the Beach
    Products Used: Daz Studio 4 Pro, Genesis, Briefs, Duke Hair, Multiplane Cyclorama, and Uberenvironment

Boy_on_Beach_4th_Draft.jpg
    600 x 800 - 236K
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Not sure if I've got this right. I added lights to the globes in her hands.

V4_light.jpg
    600 x 776 - 111K
  • home and hearthome and heart Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Here is my entry, created in Daz Studio 3. V4 with Dublin by Danae and embrace hair.

Title: Girl next door.

four_b.jpg
    600 x 800 - 65K