Measuring Genesis

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited November 2012 in The Commons

I'd like to start a discussion on the measurments of Genesis, V5, M5, S5 and all other default characters that people have, just to make sure I'm seeing what everyone else is.

How I measure:
1. Create: Primitive: Cylinder
2. In the Create Primitive Dialog box, Select dimensions in inches and set the height to 1, hit accept
3. select the cylinder, in Parameters, hit the gear button and deselect PERCENT in the dialog.
4. Set the Y scale value of the cylinder to 72 (six feet) and adjust it till you can just see it over the crown of your figure's head. The value of Y at that point is your figure's height in inches. You can also do this in Centimeters should you choose.

Here are my results:
Default Genesis Figure (Male, Female, Neuter) 5'10.5"
Victoria 5: 5'7"
Victoria 5 Supermodel: 5'10"
Michael 5: 6'3"
Michael 5 Heroic: 6'6"
Stephanie 5: 5'2" (plus, actually...)
Stephanie 5 Model Body: 5'6"
Stephanie 5 Curvy Body: 5'2" (same as S5 Default)

Victoria 4 and Stephanie 4 do not change the height of the default Genesis figure. I do not have Michael 4.

Post edited by wancow on

Comments

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

wancow said:

Victoria 4 and Stephanie 4 do not change the height of the default Genesis figure.

They do, just slightly.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I'll take your word for it :) My eyes ain't that good anymore :(

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

You need something that will measure a bit finer than full inch increments...it's something like 5' x.nn'', with the 'nn' being less than 0.25, if I remember, correctly.

And the important thing...it's not the total height, but the proportions are different.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited November 2012

When I did this chart, I used basic ratio proportion equation to confirm numbers, so should be pretty accurate...

http://www.sharecg.com/v/56340/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Height-scaling-guide-for-the-Genesis-base-figure

...some purchased characters will change Genesis height and still show 100% scale in parameters - I suppose you could load a default Genesis and scale height to match character and see where it sits percentage-wise.

But there's more than one way to skin a cat, this just so happens to be the method I use for creating Genesis characters e.g. having celebs the same equivalent height as real-life counterparts rather than having everyone at 5' 10"

Post edited by Jabba on
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    You need something that will measure a bit finer than full inch increments...it's something like 5' x.nn'', with the 'nn' being less than 0.25, if I remember, correctly.

And the important thing...it's not the total height, but the proportions are different.

it does go to 100ths, even when each full unit is an inch... so if I had better eyes, or if I wasn't too lazy, I could go in and measure the figure to 1/100th of an inch using my method.

What I would like to do, and have wanted to do for years, is to take waist, hip and bust measurements! Cup size would be nice as well :)

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,531
    edited December 1969

How do you set dimensions? Thanks.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2012

I've been using centimeters. I think it's default measurement.

Centimeters is accurate enough... Inches has too much variation.

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

I don't know even where the dimensions are ... But I have need of it for something I am working on.

edited November 2012

I don't know how to change the measurement type, all I know is it is Centimeters by default. 1.0 = 1cm

When creating a primitive, you can specify the size as centimeter, meter, inch, yard, foot in the drop down menu beside the scale you specify for the primitive.

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited November 2012

It's true that centimeters are more accurate. My problem is I"m so used to inches and feet for heights... I know, for instances, that I'm 170cm tall... but I couldn't tell you how tall a woman of 5'3" is without doing the math... All I know is that it's the height of a very petite woman who's not miniature, and that the average american woman is 5'5-5'6

Post edited by wancow on
    edited December 1969

I don't know even where the dimensions are ... But I have need of it for something I am working on.

It's VERY easy to use primitives, especially cubes and/or cylinders to measure, GOM...

Try forming a cube in either inches or cm (your prefference) and make it's dimensions 1.

Change the X,Y and Z scale from Percent to Value, and dial it up to whatever measurement you want, X,Y or Z...

edited December 1969

Oh, I see what you're doing. Your making a primitive the height you want your character. I thought you were changing the format of measurement, which is either % or Cm.

I create a primitive that's rather small and set the Y position to the height of character to accurately measure the character which gives me the approx Cm value of the characters current stature.... By creating the primitive the full height you get what ever measurement you set the primitive.

edited December 1969

I actually do both. If' I'm creating a character, I set the hight first, usually... then use the proportion Morphs converted by AdamR... if I get a character that already has a height value, like I just did, I set the primitive to one inch and dial it up...

edited December 1969

Thanks, I thought you were setting the dimensions, as well.

edited December 1969

I"m trying to figure out how I explained it wrong in my OP... :)

edited December 1969

Okay, I edited it... do you guys think it's more clear?

edited December 1969

Yes, it makes sense :) Much better Idea than I have been doing in the past. Very useful :)

I was just thinking of the wrong thing is all LOL

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

Is there anything like a ruler plug-in for DAZ Studio -- some kind of visual aid that can be calibrated in feet or meters?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Any ruler for DS or Poser that uses the DAZ-scale (1 unit = 8 feet) will work.

edited December 1969

Sarsifus, try the method I use in the OP... you're not changing anything at all, you're just creating a primitive that measures for you.

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Sarsifus, try the method I use in the OP... you're not changing anything at all, you're just creating a primitive that measures for you.

Actually, I did try the 1-meter cube primitive trick, and it's so obvious but so genius -- and I'm kicking myself for not having thought of it. Thanks...

edited December 1969

Like I said, you can select centimeters or inches when you create it, and set it to whatever dimensions you want. It makes measuring out stuff for a scene soooo easy :)

But... I can't figure out when a girl is 36-24-36 or if she has an A, B, C or D cup size :(

SOMEONE COME UP WITH A SYSTEM TO DO THAT PLLLLLLEEEEEEZE!

• Fuzzy_TrollFuzzy_Troll Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

I agree I wish there were better ways to do all this especially the cup size stuff. I also would like to measure out certain aspects of my male characters for realism sake of which I wont go into detail. I would do it myself but I suck at all kinds of math lol

• IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited December 1969

But… I can’t figure out when a girl is 36-24-36 or if she has an A, B, C or D cup size :(

That might be difficult to determine anyhow when you have such height differences. I still want to know what Genesis A3 is in height (since it makes Genesis a lot shorter) Sadie and Sam as well if you have those shapes. Oh, and if you have Mavka for Genesis... she's pretty small. (Oh, and don't forget F5!)

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited July 2013

opal42987 said:
    But… I can’t figure out when a girl is 36-24-36 or if she has an A, B, C or D cup size :(

I would say, taking a rough guess if a girl's measurements are 36-24-36 ,then her midriff (if she is proportional)would be about 32" which means she is a D cup ......of course that all depends on the girl ,and how she chose her bra .......then again she could be real hourglass and just get wider from the waist to the chest and be an A cup ....... unless of course she lost alot of weight and her chest had dropped and just gone flat ,in which case it would probably be caught in her waist measurement ..........

Sorry I just couldn't stop myself!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassiere_measurement

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • HoleHole Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Like I said, you can select centimeters or inches when you create it, and set it to whatever dimensions you want. It makes measuring out stuff for a scene soooo easy :)

But... I can't figure out when a girl is 36-24-36 or if she has an A, B, C or D cup size :(

SOMEONE COME UP WITH A SYSTEM TO DO THAT PLLLLLLEEEEEEZE!

easypose tape measure:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=58624

• HaslorHaslor Posts: 402
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

There is also Fire Angel's Measuring tool

I used this, even though it says it is for poser. in is to a 1cm scale which is what the Natural scale of DAZ Studio is.
    Also it is accurate. easy way to check, place it in the scene, the do a X-position change of 100cm. and the 1m line will be at floor level.
    Of course this only does vertical measurements

But there is also this interesting little jewel over at Renderosity, Universal Sizing Apparatus/Woman. It would be interesting to play with.

We we need is a good none conforming measuring tape.

Haslor

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,429
    edited December 1969

Haslor said:
    We we need is a good none conforming measuring tape.

I've long thought that the ideal for measuring Genesis would be a good conforming measuring tape set, plus a script to calculate measurements based on inter-vertex distances on the tapes.