Can't install V4 Base in Windows 8

I haven't used V4 for anything since Genesis came out. In rapid succession I recently updated from an old XP system to a new pc with Win 7, then finally Windows 8. Everything has installed fine on Windows 8 (with a few minor exceptions).

But that was all DAZ Studio with Genesis...

I recently wanted to use V4 for something and when trying to install it, I get a window that pops up with no content in it. Nothing happens.
Same for the M4 base. Nothing. I cannot install them in Windows 8!

What I wanted was to transfer all the old morphs to Genesis using GenX. But I cannot even install the morphs without V4 in place and I cannot install V4.

Has anyone else had this issue and gotten past it? If so, what did you do?

Could I possibly get someone's transferred morphs if I prove I own the originals?

Thanks,
Scott

Post edited by scott_4e0b772ae4 on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Have you tried running the installer as Admin?

Have you reset the download for V4/M4?

I've always found the V4 installer to be particularly finicky...

• scott_4e0b772ae4scott_4e0b772ae4 Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Have you tried running the installer as Admin?

Have you reset the download for V4/M4?

I've always found the V4 installer to be particularly finicky...

I reset and re-downloaded the files. No luck.
    I ran the installers as admin as per your suggestion. No luck.

I can find no way to get them to run. I don't know if anyone else using Win8 has had this problem, but I sent a support ticket to DAZ. We'll see what happens. Out of all the gigabytes of content I have, these are the two installers that simply won't function.

edited December 1969

If you've got access to an XP machine and a USB stick...install the V4 and M4 to the USB stick (you may need to add a 'dummy' Poser.exe file to the folder you are installing to...), then transfer them to the Win8 machine, that way...run the script to create all the 'nice' things before you leave the XP machine (can't remember the name of that script, but it's there after the install).

The only thing you won't have is the uninstaller...but for content it isn't all THAT important to have one.

That's what I had to do, to get V4 installed on my Linux/WINE machine...NOTHING would get the blasted installer to run.

edited December 1969

Thanks! I will try that right away.

• NorrieNorrie Posts: 32
    edited November 2012

I'm having the same problems with Windows 8. Bought a new 'puter with it pre installed, can't get V4 or Michael to load. I get this box in the corner. Surely we can't be the only two with this problem?

Victoria.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 217K
    Victoria_Fault.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 244K
    Post edited by Norrie on
    edited December 1969

The suggestion from mjc1016 worked great. A few minor things I'm trying to resolve within this (morphs ++ not showing up...) but still, it is working now.

• NorrieNorrie Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

I've got Win 7 on lap top, I'll try with that. That's if I've got any more downloads left!!!!!

edited December 1969

The suggestion from mjc1016 worked great. A few minor things I'm trying to resolve within this (morphs ++ not showing up...) but still, it is working now.

The add on installers worked for me, just NONE of the V4 ones did...even the last one refuses to run, for me.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

A few minor things I'm trying to resolve within this (morphs ++ not showing up...)
    Probably down to the .bat files not being run on Win8 see this thread which sould help you get this done http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11627/
  • laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

well, just to say I have exactly yhe same problem... M4 and V4, and the girl, don't work with Windows 8...curiously, it's just the "base" character, which are impossible to install... for example, I get no problems with V4 shoes... but, well, mmm, without V4, don't seems to be very useful...

• edited December 1969

A more permanent fix if you are getting a message saying that the INI file in C://program files(x86)/common files/DAZ/dzinstall.ini can't be read:
    Simply go to C://program files(x86)/common files/ you should find that the DAZ folder is missing. Create it, then run the installers normally (for older installers, you may still have to use compatibility with previous versions of windows)

• edited December 1969

Hi, i ve experienced the same issue on Windows 8 with some old installers: a small window opens but the installation won' t start.
    The fix is very simple: you just need to run the installer in compatibility mode. This is a Windows feature that you may not be familiar with yet since you stated that you just recently upgraded from the old good XP. Just right click on the installer, choose "properties", choose "compatibility" and then select an old windows OS. I could run all the not working installers fine setting the compatibility with Windows XP service pack 3. Without using the compatibility mode, i get the same empty windows that norrie shew in the screenshot posted above. So...long story short, first set the compatibility, then run the istaller. I hope this will help you. I' m running Windows 8 64-bit and if it's like Vista, i suspect we will need to use the compatibility mode a lot and for a lot of softwares, annoying but it gets the job done quite often. One last note though: my Windows 8 had no problem installing M4 and V4 base without compatibility: i had problems with other Daz3D products instead.

• edited December 1969

Thanks; I tried this and it worked for me.

• MachieltjeMachieltje Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

The way to install 4th gen characters under win8 is to log on as the real Administrator there may be work arounds but to get the installer to run properly you need to activate the Admin account and log in using that account.

edit: even then it need to be run in compatibility mode...

Post edited by Machieltje on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

I had the same issue with the Gen 4 Base installers.

The way I got them to work was to right click the installer, under Compatibility I checked the box under Compatibility mode and told it to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and it worked fine when I did so.

CHEERS!