Loading older scenes in Daz 3D 4.9

I previously had an odler version of DAZ 3d form a couple of years ago.  Life got busy, and a couple of Hard Drive changes later I have now downloaded and installed 4.9.

I am trying to load some old scenes I created from abck then (can't remember which version of DAZ 3D it was) but I get stuck at the same point.

It loads 49% of the scene, and then it starts asking for the location of texture files ending with _DC.xxx (where .xxx is the extension).

Now, I still have my old DAZ 3D libraries, and they have the old trexture files witht he _DC.xxx name.  When I try anmd find similar named files in 4.9 install directories, they don't have tyhe _DC file name.

I have tried pointing DAZ 3D to the location fo the old texture files, copying them to the new folders, etc etc, but it just keeps looping asking for the same filenames in a loop over and over again.

Any help or suggestions would be grateful.

Anestis.

Comments

• You aer selecting the folder that holds the Runtime (and Data) folders as a DAZ Studio or Poser Format content directory?

• DAZ Studio.  As I said above.  DAZ Studio verison 4.9.

• Yes, but there are two sets of content directories - Poser formats and DAZ Studio Formats (well, three - Import Formats too - but those the the main two for content). Either should work for finding textures, they are not however equivalent for other file types.

• I've never used Poser.  The scenes were created in DAZ 3D.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

I've never used Poser.  The scenes were created in DAZ 3D.

Although you may not have used Poser, DAZ Studio is able to use some content that is stored in the Poser format (a runtime folder with pp2, cr2, etc. files) as well as content stored in a DAZ Studio format (.duf, the obsolete .ds, etc.).  When you install products, they might be in the poser or DAZ Studio format or both. Probably most of my content includes some poser formats for example, even though I don't use Poser either.  I'm an old-school manual installer person, when I manually install I have to tell DS where to find both the DAZ Studio and the Poser content, so I map the same folder twice, once for each of the two types, so DS knows how to locate/read the differing types of files when loading content.

• That doesn't mean you don't have Poser-format content, most older items are in Poser format. In any event, the salient point is to establish that the folder you have set as a content directory is the folder that contains the Runtime and Data folders as immediate sub-folders.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

As the two said, you have to make the directory that hold your content known to DAZ Studio, in both Poser and DAZ Format content.

• Let's start again.

No I ahven't used any Poser textures/files.

It is asking to locate files with _DC in the filename, whereas the current version of DAZ 3D does not have those _DC filenames.

Even though I point ot those directories and files, it keeps looping and asking for same filenames.  I even tried copying the files it is asking fopr across into the same folder it is askign for with no success.

So, how can I conver my older DAZ 3D scene files so that they use the correct files without the _DC filenames?  Is there a copnverter or upgrader of some sort?

Anestis.

• The DC files are - by the sound of it - just textures from some piece of content. If you are entering the paths correctly (that is, picking the right folder and not a sub-folder or parent folder of the one that you should be going for) then DS should find them. That is why we are asking to be sure that you hae picked the correct location. Please go to the Content Library pane and open it's option menu - you can get to that from the lined button in the top corner or by right-clicking on the pane's tab - and select Content Directory Manager, then in that dialogue click to expand the options for the Current set showing both the Poser Formats and DAZ Studio Formats lists - please post a screenshot of that, and also the full path to one of these DC files on your computer.

• The old texture files, according to the locate dialog box whhen the scene is loading,  were located in a directory in the DAZ 3D Library called SamlpeRes (\Runtime\textures\PropsChick\SallyMaeHair\SampleRes).

The new files, instead of being in a subfolder calledd Sa,pleRes, are in ther base directory (D:\DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Textures\PropsChick\SallyMaeHair) and don't contain any files with _DC int hem.

See attached screenshot.

DAZ 3D install differences.png
    1721 x 1406 - 719K
  • And herer is the Content Directory Manager, which I had to change manually for the new install.  Why it didn't set it automatically when I installed DAZ 3D last night even though I told it where to put the Library (D: drive, not C:) I don't know.

Content ManagerPNG.PNG
    484 x 473 - 27K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited September 2016

When DS4 was originally released, all of the Genesis Starter Essentials content was included in the installer for Daz Studio, which made for an extremely large file.  To reduce the size of the file, the textures for some of the content were reduced and put in a subfolder called SampleRes.  When Genesis Starter Essentials was split out into a separate download, the full-resolution textures were restored.

So, you created a SampleRes subfolder and put the _DC files there, but they still aren't being found?

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,147
    edited September 2016

The old texture files, according to the locate dialog box whhen the scene is loading,  were located in a directory in the DAZ 3D Library called SamlpeRes (\Runtime\textures\PropsChick\SallyMaeHair\SampleRes).

The new files, instead of being in a subfolder calledd Sa,pleRes, are in ther base directory (D:\DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Textures\PropsChick\SallyMaeHair) and don't contain any files with _DC int hem.

See attached screenshot.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see Fixmypcmike's reply - he already said what I was going to say.

Edit: Actually I just noticed that your Content Directory Manager screenprint has: C:\Users\Admin\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library
    but the screen print of the texture files has: D:\Users\Anestis\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library
    If this is the case, then that explains why DS can't find those textures. (Although it doesn't explain why copying them to the other library didn't work)

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • I was hoping there was an easier way than to copy duplicate files into a suibdirectory, like a conversion utility to edit the location of resources within the scene file.

The screen print of the texture files was to show the old installk location versuses the new install location.  D:\Users\Anestis was the old original install from a few years ago, as I mentioned.  The new location is D:\Daz 3D Library.

Are the scene files .daz files or .duf files?  .duf files can be edited, .daz files cannot.

• And after copying those SampleRes folders across it still fails to open:

Results of the log file attached.

txt
    txt
    DAZ 3D Log.txt
  • It's a daz file.

Do you have the Data folder from the old hard drive?  The problem isn't the textures, it's the geometry and morph information from the Data folder.

• Yes, I do have the old Data folder.  I suppose I have to copy that across as well.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Yes, I do have the old Data folder.  I suppose I have to copy that across as well.

Short answer...yes.

• I did that and now I'm getting different errors. See attached.

txt
    txt
    DAZ 3D Log.txt

Since the old directory was 'Admin' it presumably was an admin account...does the current location have the same priveleges?  If not, you will need to 'take ownership' of that directory (plus it needs to be in the same location as it originally was, it seems to be looking at absolute paths, not relative).

• AnestisKAnestisK Posts: 38
    edited September 2016

You're mixing up[ the two directories again.

Anestis was the old one.  Admin is the new one.

They were/are both Administrator level accounts.  Permissions are the same.  I did a copy/paste which should have given the correct permissions to the fiules and folders being copied.  There's no permissions issues.

Post edited by AnestisK on
  • The new errors appear to be akin to c++ compiler errors.

• Help?

• And the scene is failing to open? Is opening but malfunctioning in some way? You haven't really given much information about the new errors/warnings to go on. In general please don't bump threads - if you aren't getting replies you may need to provide more information.

edited September 2016

One of the possible causes for this error, which seems to be the 'root',  "

2016-28-26 16:28:03.556 Error setting pointers while reading file 
    C:/Users/Admin/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Just a girl.daz :
    C Exception: Memory Access Violation - Attempted to read memory at address 0x00000000"

is permissions problems.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • mjc1016 said:

One of the possible causes for this error, which seems to be the 'root',  "

2016-28-26 16:28:03.556 Error setting pointers while reading file 
    C:/Users/Admin/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library/Just a girl.daz :
    C Exception: Memory Access Violation - Attempted to read memory at address 0x00000000"

is permissions problems.

That is a problem I have seen when attempting to load older files, and it means the file simply won't load (and I don't know of a fix) - but I wanted to check that was happening here.

• AnestisKAnestisK Posts: 38
    edited September 2016

There's no permissions issues, and the scene fails to load.

C:/Users/Admin/Documents/ is my documents directory. No other application has issues accessing it, or files and folders underneath it.

I've doen everything suggested so far, which includes copyign the old textrure files and data across to the new install.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • You haven't really given much information about the new errors/warnings to go on. In general please don't bump threads - if you aren't getting replies you may need to provide more information.

A couple of days went by without any suggestions from anyone so I was tryiong to get some additional assistance.  Excuseme for wantign to have this issue resolved.

Did you see the text file I uploaded with the new errors from the log file?  Did that not provide you with the information required?

If the scene had loaded I would have said so.   This is still the same issue - scene doesn't load and the log file contains errors, which I attached above.