iMAC 2gb CAR file limit

Hi.

I have an 2014 i7 iMac with 32 gb memory. I have a Carrara scene with 4 V4 models, an imported poser model and Dartenbecks woodlands (great product), multiple lighting rigs and about 5 cameras.

Everything is stored locally, Not internally or externally, and I save the file uncompressed. Its saves ok but when I come to open it I get a 'not my file type error'

If I can keep the .CAR file size below 2gb then I'm ok, but anything above that limit causes the error.

Anybody had the same problem or found a solution.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,921

yes and no except to save in smaller parts

am on Windows 7

• porthos62porthos62 Posts: 48

Thanks for the comment.

Good in theory, but I don't really want to build the scene each time I need to render it.

I also have Carrara on Windows 10 and run into similar problems with 2gb+ scenes with Genesis 2 female figures.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,947

Not having a MAC I cannot say for sure, but that almost sounds like a 32-bit file system limit (*nix systems had this until 'recently', often having an option to have 'largefilesize' to permit files >2Gb in size).  Seeign someone also have the issue in Win 10 makes me think that, maybe, Carrara has some 'legacy code' or library function within it's file I/O area that has a 32-bit limit.

That sounds like a possibility, although I thought all OSX programs ran in 64 bit.

Thanks for your help though. :-)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,947
    porthos62 said:

That sounds like a possibility, although I thought all OSX programs ran in 64 bit.

Thanks for your help though. :-)

Again, with no actual knowledge of the actual issue - you can run in 64-bit and still have 32-bit limits: I wrote a system for takign files from a remote source, sanity-checking them, then passing them on to a function that would slap (that's a technical term ...) the data into a database.  To do part of this I had to conver the files from DOS format to *nix format (generally the end of line characters screw up) using a supplied utility called dos2ux.  A few years after I left I bumped into an old collegaue who told me that recently the system had 'imploded' and started issuing error messages.  Me, being me, had placed unique error messages and codes throughout the script which menat they were able to identify where the fail was happening.  It still took a very experienced Unix SysAdmin a while to realise why.  Depite running in a 64-bit version of HP-UX (a variety of Unix) the utility dos2ux only coped with 32-bit file sizes so when one of the source files crept over 2GB it started failing, but it only returned a generic 'wave flippers in air' exit code.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Are you talking about Carrara 8.5?

Is it possible you installed the 32 bit version of Carrara?

There are both versions available either from the product library or in DIM.

I think you are right, the 2gb - 32 bit limit is begining to sound like the problem.

Carrara is pretty old and it doesn't seem likely to be updated in the near future. I do like using it and would struggle to find another 3D system that gives me flexibility of using Victoria/Genesis and Poser stuff.

I can get around the problem by building up the scene each time from the saved blocks but it's not ideal.

Thanks for the help

Are you talking about Carrara 8.5?

Is it possible you installed the 32 bit version of Carrara?

There are both versions available either from the product library or in DIM.

Yes. Carrara 8.5, latest build

I am using the 64 bit version on both the iMac and my Windows 10 rig.

edited July 2016

I know on my win 10 machine I have been over 2 GB in size scene size.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest 64 Git version from DIM?

Post edited by chickenman on
  • It makes no difference if it's 32 or 64 bit version, the file format is always the same, considering the age I would think it use 32 bit values inside the file, so it is possible that you can have >2GB files in some cases, but offsets inside the file could be 32 bit so that could make it go bonkers, it's also possible the limitation is on the zip library from the stone age, so maybe if it works you are not using compressed files or something like that.

It's all guesswork but in the end there is some form of 32 bit limit in the car file format so watch out for that.

Having read read other threads on here I dod not use compression as that leads to corrupted files.