Tutorials ... Tutorials ... * New * Texturing Aids for Making HD Textures

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 2,601

You're welcome and thank you for alerting me to the download issue.

Not made by me. I found this basic MR skin resource for G8M that may be used for both commercial and freebie characters :-)

Whether one wants to use it as is for themselves, or as a learning project for adding in various skin details for their own character - Click here for link.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 11,150

I just downloaded the geograft tutorial.  Thank you very much.

Diomede said:

I just downloaded the geograft tutorial.  Thank you very much.

You're most welcome, enjoy :-)

This is not my tutorial but golly gee, some people, ONE hour ... a sphere to a full head! There's a challenge for some lol ...

Enjoy watching, and maybe making one too? I do not recommend Hexagon for this ;-)

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 556

It's a good demo!

edited May 21

With no touchup to texture or morph ... did add some hair though ...

Anybody recognize him?

hint one: Yes it is of a famous person.

Anybody recognize him.png
    1000 x 1000 - 837K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Anybody recognize him?

Attractive man, but I don't recognize him. Is this what you did for your test of the sculpting technique?

edited May 21
    Torquinox said:

Anybody recognize him?

Attractive man, but I don't recognize him. Is this what you did for your test of the sculpting technique?

No, it's what I did using one of the morphing programs for D/S.

Long time back I tried to morph a famous person from scratch and everybody guessed everybody BUT the person I aiming for, so this time thought I'd see if there'd be an improvement using a plugin to do the work.

hint two: He is Canadian/Canadien. {and don't go precisely by the eye colour, don't have the right eye-colour;-) }

index.jpg
    780 x 586 - 40K
    edited May 22
    Torquinox said:

And we have a winner!!!!

Love that mop of hair.

Anyhow for anybody so interested, there are a couple of HR photos available for free:

https://pm.gc.ca/en/prime-minister-justin-trudeau

Here one can download HR colour photo and/or a HR black and white photo.

Each photo is NOT exactly the same so no one cannot use the b/w "as is" for a bump/displacement map.

"use responsibly" ;-)

edited May 22

And we have a winner!!!!

Love that mop of hair.

Anyhow for anybody so interested, there are a couple of HR photos available for free:

Each photo is NOT exactly the same so no one cannot use the b/w "as is" for a bump/displacement map.

"use responsibly" ;-)

Yay! Yes, that is quite a mop of hair. laugh Good work on your morph, too. yes

Post edited by Torquinox on
    Torquinox said:

And we have a winner!!!!

Love that mop of hair.

"use responsibly" ;-)

Yay! Yes, that is quite a mop of hair. laugh Good work on your morph, too. yes

Thank you smiley

Any ideas {small ones, Hexagon has its limits} as to what type of item you would like for a prize?

Thank you smiley

Any ideas {small ones, Hexagon has its limits} as to what type of item you would like for a prize?

That's very sweet! I didn't know there was a prize. I played for the fun of it. angel

Torquinox said:

Thank you smiley

That's very sweet! I didn't know there was a prize. I played for the fun of it. angel

That's okay. I didn't either. Just sitting here with 4 MR starter suits wondering what to make ;-)

I'm sure you'll come up with something wonderful!

wink

• CriosCrios Posts: 1,734

Not made by me. I found this basic MR skin resource for G8M that may be used for both commercial and freebie characters :-)

Whether one wants to use it as is for themselves, or as a learning project for adding in various skin details for their own character - Click here for link.

Thank you for this, pity that is only for man, and not for female.

Crios said:

It's relatively new so who knows, maybe LexaKiness will make another one.

• CriosCrios Posts: 1,734
    Crios said:

It's relatively new so who knows, maybe LexaKiness will make another one.

Maybe :D

Taking a look at the Shader Baker today for making templates with a buffer zone, W10 procedural update ... make and select each time a folder "on the desktop, NOT inside the program folders" ... even after making said folder inside the program folders where the procedure defaults to, nope. Not happening. Folder "has to be outside" of the program folders.

Remember also to use a collapsed uvset, 3Delight render with all those nifty lights, selecting Perspective View for the render ;-)

Or one can download the set I made for G8F base female UVs ;-) Click here for Drive link.

edited May 28

Again, not one of my tutorials BUT then I do not own Zbrush ;-) One can not do this type of modeling in Hexagon.

Here he is again, this time in one hour modeling a male torso.

The image display utility being used is PureRef which is free.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,420
    edited May 31

Hi @Catherine3678ab,

I don't know if requests are OK, but I've got philw's great  reflection overlay for Genesis1 eyeballs (Eye Surface for Genesis, and his Bright Eyes for DAZ Studio & Poser for Mil4 eyes), which are great, but the included UVs are specific to his product's eyeball sphere.

I thought it would be great to generate an alternate UV set that matches the reflection layers on the Mil4 default reflection maps, and even the G2F/M eye UVs (very similar) so the available reflections in other eyeball-based products could also be used with philw's eye-sphere - but I'm not sure how to proceed with the (re)mapping or how to add the new UVs to the base system. I use Hex, but any set of steps would suffice (I think).

I have a feeling you know exactly how to do this, and I really like how you describe these sorts of digital adventures (esp. your older hex tuts).

Could you add something like this to your queue? I would happily gift you the product if you don't have it already.

Thanks in advance (even if you choose not to pursue it),

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on

Sure, requests are fine.

I keep thinking I must own most of the store by now, but alas I don't.
    I do not have https://www.daz3d.com/eye-surface-for-genesis which includes the other product you mention.

However, unless you are wanting me to make that particular uvset, I can certainly put together a visual tutorial showing 'how to' using somethings I do own.

In the meantime, in a nutshell ;-)

With nothing else in the scene, load the Eye Surface for Genesis. On the Parameters Tab be sure the resolution is set to base. Export out that file as .obj.
    Next load in whichever figure you want to have a part matched to Phil's Eye Surface. Base resolution.
    Parent the Eye Surface to that figure {anywhere}: selecting that figure send it over the bridge to Hexagon. {then unparent the item in D/S}

In Hexagon, can delete all of the figure except the eye surface you want copied over to Phil's eye surface.
    {so persumably there are now 4 pieces in Hexagon}.
    n.b. you can assign new shading domains to any section if it helps, it's okay.

No mesh changes can be made to Phil's Eye Surface.

However, over on the uv view side, both main objects selected {so you can see both uvmaps}, re-arrange the uvset of Phil's Eye Surface to match that of the other figure. Now just re-arranging a map does not make it a redistributable item. For a redistributable uvset, tell Hexagon to make a new uvset on it. Select up top the "line" option - and the "unfold head" ... then when that side box appears, just click on the head and Accept. It will possibly have done a pretty decent job to unfold the uvset. {if not, then try again, adding a seam or two, unfold, accept}

Then select each side in turn and arrange them to be exactly over the same area of mesh as the figure's. Check that each side is facing the right way - one may need to be flipped over by selecting the resize cube and pushing it until the uvset flips over and to the correct size. It's fun yeah. {so the reflections will show on the correct side of the surfaces}

When done, hide the figure's mesh. Select Phil's Eye Surface and EXPORT out that .obj file. Size doesn't really matter, we've after the uvset.

Then in D/S, Phil's Eye Surface selected {still at base resolution}, somewhere under Edit, Geometry, there's an option to load uvset. Select that and browse for the newly exported .obj from Hexagon.
    Name it something appropriate it. If it takes, then it will appear on the uv drop down list on the Surface Panel. Select it ... if it's a keeper, Then File > Save As > Support Asset > UV asset ... selecting ONLY the ONE new uvset just created. {model can then be returned to high resolution} {n.b. if there was no choice on this, don't worry about it}

Then it's time to load in Genesis, properly apply Phil's Eye Surface, find one of the reflections to be added to it from M4, etc. IF it's a keeper, then make a new mat file saved to an appropriate folder and name.
    n.b. ALL the previously made mat files will be NOT be changing the uvset. Any new mat files will save the selected uvset. Solution is to load the old mat files, check for the correct {original} uvset and resave the mat file. {good idea to always back up files before changing them, just in case - easier to delete unrequired backup files than grow back hair}

Hope this all makes sense ;-)

edited June 1

This week I had planned to work on some characters 'n skins so here's a start.

Now I have noticed some who are new thinking they have to totally make their own characters and like, no you don't. You can use the characters that are sold in the store for commercial image renders ... and they don't have to be used 'as is'. That's the beauty of having various morphs, one can dial in a little of this and a little of that :-)

This time using FaceGen I have made another start at a popular character for fanart. I am touching on a little of this and a little of that so hopefully there is something to learn for everybody taking the time to read through my posts. The reason I have not been making so many .pdf tutorials is my fav program for that is on another computer. Can't make myself buy a new copy just yet.

Here we go:

In applying the created texture to the new morph, spot render, we notice it does not look quite right ;-)

So let us apply a ready made texture set and see what is missing.

As one takes note of all the different types of texture images that are being used, realize that these types can be made also for the new texture set one makes for their new character.

Normals are used by some and not others. They do slow down render times but then they can provide an immense amount of details. For some purposes they are used with the gaming models and not so much for example with 3D renders. Time ago I found that using Bump/Displacement AND a normal was definitely overkill in 3Delight.

001 not simple.png
    1015 x 741 - 395K
    002.png
    1007 x 797 - 420K
    003.png
    1000 x 619 - 342K
    004.png
    996 x 649 - 354K
    005.png
    1002 x 659 - 345K
    006.png
    1600 x 860 - 206K
    007.png
    1600 x 860 - 199K
    008 k light.png
    999 x 712 - 306K
    edited June 7

And the rest for today.

Before sending Genesis* figures over to Hexagon, I tend to apply a basic 3D shader. Hexagon is an old program so giving it a little help along the way is a good idea.

For the last 3 images on this set, click here.

009.png
    1033 x 809 - 506K
    010.png
    1566 x 806 - 462K
    011.png
    1579 x 857 - 564K
    012 make morph.png
    640 x 599 - 52K
    013 select everything.png
    1134 x 692 - 305K
    014.png
    1562 x 778 - 413K
    015 all to do is ACCEPT.png
    1042 x 741 - 127K
    016.png
    1089 x 812 - 302K
    edited June 2

Stage One Render ;-)

Making a Character.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M

mindsong  Update: the images for showing how to match up the uvsets are in the editing basket. They were made as I made those contacts lens for reflections. I have a neat idea {I think} for what to do next with it which will then be making it to have 2 uvsets so I could put all of this together then in a tutorial :-)

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,420

Goodness, I just found these updates - completely missed this recent infor (got the contacts tho' :)

I will PDF-ize and digest with vigor!

This looks fantastic!

(I may poke at you w questions as I explore, I hope that's OK!)

cheers,

--ms

mindsong said:

Goodness, I just found these updates - completely missed this recent infor (got the contacts tho' :)

I will PDF-ize and digest with vigor!

This looks fantastic!

(I may poke at you w questions as I explore, I hope that's OK!)

cheers,

--ms

Absolutely ;-)

These days I'm finding I get nofications only for threads that I have checked on that little star up top.

I am [slowly] learning how to use 3D Coat as well for texturing. It can paint over seams :-)

Good news for those that like my .pdf tutorials ... the saga shall continue! Yes. Made the purchase of Comic Life 3 and have started the tutorial for making the contact lens for reflections and giving it a new uvmap. We are potential going to be having some heat waves and 'weather' around here so hopefully by the end of next week that one might be completed. If not, the next week.