Tutorials ... Tutorials ... *New* Using Texture Atlas

Comments

• Made a decision. The tutorial for making skins will be started in its own thread for several reasons.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 2,803
    edited December 2019

Oh what to do on a rainy day ... freezing rain day at that ... take another look at the render settings panel and experiment! Made a few images and they would be too large to load, and I have got to get something to make pdf files on this computer! In the meantime, I put several images on one leaf, 6 leaves and they are in a zip folder. The promo shows what to expect in the zip folder. Click here for the .zip

Some very helpful resources to make use of on the render settings panel:

https://simplemaps.com/resources/free-country-cities

https://simplemaps.com/data/world-cities  {can download a free database showing many cities}

https://greenwichmeantime.com/what-is-gmt/

https://greenwichmeantime.com/info/clocks/global/

Interesting note on one of their pages: All rail schedules in Russia use Moscow time regardless of the time zone of the places they travel through. I could see a use for giving characters 2 watches!

Edit to add 2nd pic.

To save locations these are the 2 boxes to place check-marks in. In this manner one can change locations without having to reset every other setting on the panel.

promo.png
    827 x 571 - 526K
    Can Save out Render Settings.png
    1146 x 797 - 140K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
    edited January 2

Bought that Yeti ... why, so now something can hung somebody upside-down in its ice cave to eat later ;-)

Okay ... supposed to be white. Comes with Glacier and Brown mat settings. Glacier is a little bit white but a lot of funky greys which no matter how many settings I changed to white, refused to render white. Now one could apply some shaders meant for fabric or cars and get blow out white but that's not exactly what I want either. So after some fussing it dawned on me to try the brown mat. I have no idea why this matters but it does. If you want a white Yeti, apply the brown mat on the Fur. THEN change all the brown colours to white and save that material preset for next time. Now you, hopefully, will have a white Yeti too.

Light and shadows are rather fussy things when it comes to "white" ... tends to be a photographer's nightmare when people want a portrait in front of "white" walls, esp. if they are wearing dark colours. Anyhow, rather than blowing out the white with too many lights, try adjusting the film ISO on the Render Tab. I have no extra lights in this scene, the light source is the HDR. The first two images are the renders I like, the following 3 show the affect of changing the ISO setting. I did not let all of these render full cycle. You get the idea.

The hair of Bigfoot/Yeti is coarse like horse hair but DNA tests show it to be human. The Indians would refer to the Bigfoot as the People of the Forest. Yeti is the European snowy mountain version of Bigfoot. I only ever heard of them being white, however glacier is certainly easier to render than plain white ;-)  We heard that some of the kids have been sighting them in this province but when I asked my driver/friend if we could looking for Bigfoot, he said no.

Snow Man.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    YetiMan2.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Snow Man 100iso.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Snow Man 200 ISO.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Snow Man 400iso.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Save a Mat file.png
    1509 x 720 - 235K
  • Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,356

The Yeti should have a christmas hat and boot. It is really santa. hahaha Nice work on white Yeti.

• itachanitachan Posts: 31

Thank you!

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,387
    edited January 2

Bought that Yeti ... why, so now something can hung somebody upside-down in its ice cave to eat later ;-)

Okay ... supposed to be white. Comes with Glacier and Brown mat settings. Glacier is a little bit white but a lot of funky greys which no matter how many settings I changed to white, refused to render white. Now one could apply some shaders meant for fabric or cars and get blow out white but that's not exactly what I want either. So after some fussing it dawned on me to try the brown mat. I have no idea why this matters but it does. If you want a white Yeti, apply the brown mat on the Fur. THEN change all the brown colours to white and save that material preset for next time. Now you, hopefully, will have a white Yeti too.

Light and shadows are rather fussy things when it comes to "white" ... tends to be a photographer's nightmare when people want a portrait in front of "white" walls, esp. if they are wearing dark colours. Anyhow, rather than blowing out the white with too many lights, try adjusting the film ISO on the Render Tab. I have no extra lights in this scene, the light source is the HDR. The first two images are the renders I like, the following 3 show the affect of changing the ISO setting. I did not let all of these render full cycle. You get the idea.

The hair of Bigfoot/Yeti is coarse like horse hair but DNA tests show it to be human. The Indians would refer to the Bigfoot as the People of the Forest. Yeti is the European snowy mountain version of Bigfoot. I only ever heard of them being white, however glacier is certainly easier to render than plain white ;-)  We heard that some of the kids have been sighting them in this province but when I asked my driver/friend if we could looking for Bigfoot, he said no.

Actually, in all of the actual sightings of the Yeti, it has always been described as reddish brown, not white. The idea that its hair is white is an American Pop culture idea created because of its nickname as the "abominable snowman".  It should also be noted that the Yeti is Asian, not European; specifically, the Himilayas, Tibet, Nepal, India, Bhutan, and Siberia. 

Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
  • Maybe he's a very, very LIGHT reddish brown?  :D :D

edited January 3

Was just talking with another person about Yeti, he's only heard of white ones too. And yes, it is more Asian than European ... living up high in the nice white snowy mountains. Now and then one is discovered by remote villagers. Another thing all mention is the fact that the Bigfoot/Yeti have a very strong peculiar odour about them.

In Star Wars episodes whatever that big monster was, it was white. So pardon but my Yeti is white ;-) But for the other furry character, he is brown :-)

If one renders it without fur one does have a reddish brown type skin. Looks much better with fur.

Quick checking, seems there are more DNA tests done now too which all contradict each other lol ... everything from a dog to a bear as well as human. The coarse hair samples I mentioned earlier were taken from some living Bigfoot that folk in America are feeding, and trying to teach something about language too ... rather interesting world we live in.

itachan said:

Thank you!

You're very welcome :-)

edited January 3

Okay ... taking a colour from his skin, here's a suggestion for his "Summer Coat" - reddish roots with white tips.

Yeti's Summer Coat.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Reddish Roots.png
    1112 x 708 - 822K
    edited January 3

Maybe he's a very, very LIGHT reddish brown?  :D :D

Nope. Dark. The hair colors sighted on apparent Yetis have ranged from reddish brown to dark brown, and even black, in some cases. Some scientists believe most Yeti sightings to be misidentified Asiatic Brown Bears. 

Was just talking with another person about Yeti, he's only heard of white ones too. And yes, it is more Asian than European ... living up high in the nice white snowy mountains. Now and then one is discovered by remote villagers. Another thing all mention is the fact that the Bigfoot/Yeti have a very strong peculiar odour about them.

In Star Wars episodes whatever that big monster was, it was white. So pardon but my Yeti is white ;-) But for the other furry character, he is brown :-)

If one renders it without fur one does have a reddish brown type skin. Looks much better with fur.

Quick checking, seems there are more DNA tests done now too which all contradict each other lol ... everything from a dog to a bear as well as human. The coarse hair samples I mentioned earlier were taken from some living Bigfoot that folk in America are feeding, and trying to teach something about language too ... rather interesting world we live in.

LIke I said, that's an assumption created in American pop culture that comes from the nickname "abominable snowman". Since a snowman is white (being made from snow), people assumed that the Yeti would be white as well, and the stereotype stuck in American consciousness. But actual sightins describe an upright hominid ape with dark fur, not white fur. In fact, it has been theorised by various Cryptozoologists that the Yeti and Sasquatch might be the same species, though that is debatable. 

Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
    edited January 3

LIke I said, that's an assumption created in American pop culture that comes from the nickname "abominable snowman". Since a snowman is white (being made from snow), people assumed that the Yeti would be white as well, and the stereotype stuck in American consciousness. But actual sightins describe an upright hominid ape with dark fur, not white fur. In fact, it has been theorised by various Cryptozoologists that the Yeti and Sasquatch might be the same species, though that is debatable. 

Like they say, they'd need some living examples to ascertain who or what they really are.

Back a bit there were a number of kids on Youtube allegedly looking for Bigfoot. Hiliarious nonsense, more like see who can make the scariest video clip about nothing really being in a cave. They'd drop their cameras and run at the slightest sound of anything moving in the cave, panting like they were running for their very lives. Which they would need to be if they ever dropped my camera lol ...

watching some more videos ... dark fur, on the red side, does seem to be correct, however I'll go with then there could be an albino ;-) {and no Yeti hunting in Russia, the one up there is vicious}.

edited January 15

Found a nice website speaking of Yeti [Bigfoot/Sasquatch] sightings in Ontario.

https://www.ontarioparks.com/parksblog/beyond-the-light-of-the-campfire/

Sightings in Ontario have been of white, black, shades of brown and GOLD hairy bodies. Maybe not accurate but I was trying out this shade of blonde for one.

Blonde Yeti.png
    1305 x 785 - 451K

Found a nice website speaking of Yeti [Bigfoot/Sasquatch] sightings in Ontario.

Sightings in Ontario have been of white, black, shades of brown and GOLD hairy bodies. Maybe not accurate but I was trying out this shade of blonde for one.

I like that site. Good work on the research. The "blonde" looks fine. 

• Found a nice website speaking of Yeti [Bigfoot/Sasquatch] sightings in Ontario.

I like that site. Good work on the research. The "blonde" looks fine. 

Thank you :-)  {still can't convince my friend that we should go Yeti hunting lol ...}

edited January 27

Somewhere in the forum saw mention made of having a skeleton inside the figure for to have more realistic render results if one has a bright light shining from behind the figure ... reflecting light around the edges of the skin with the inside rendering darker than if there is nothing inside the skin. Sounded cool, had to try that.

Dug up V4's skeleton bones and put them inside G3F, and well, maybe okay for some situations BUT then I thought, let's have some fun. What if the bones glowed?!!! Would take some trial and error to get just the right look for a scene but has potential.

Glowing Skeleton inside.png
    1000 x 1000 - 184K
    Glowing Skeleton inside 4.png
    1000 x 1000 - 205K
  • Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,356

Nice work. Looks like an xray machine goon bad. hahaha

edited February 1

Thank you.

Updates re Yeti/Sasquatch info findings, yes! The American Gov't apparently has at least 20 bodies, have had them for years ... so it's a matter of whatever they know they certainly haven't been telling the world, what's new eh. From a comment on a post, after Mt. Saint Helens erupted, from 'ape canyon' 20 bodies were removed and brought to a military base somewhere. And from another video uploaded, a commentor from another country seldom represented mentioned that of course they exist ... apparently they occasionally take a human woman for to increase their numbers ... they'll lick her feet with their rough tongue so she can't run away. And there's some content for the story tellers!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,430

The UK's RAF will soon be releasing their secret info on aliens and ufos (https://themindunleashed.com/2020/01/britains-royal-air-force-release-secret-ufo-files.html).

Maybe there's an obtuse but relevant 'reveal' about these 20 bodies somewhere in there.

(the glowing red skeleton is a pretty cool effect :) If you did it in a green skinned figure, it would probably look like a night-vision and IR signature image.

cheers,

--ms

edited February 2
    mindsong said:

The UK's RAF will soon be releasing their secret info on aliens and ufos (https://themindunleashed.com/2020/01/britains-royal-air-force-release-secret-ufo-files.html).

Maybe there's an obtuse but relevant 'reveal' about these 20 bodies somewhere in there.

(the glowing red skeleton is a pretty cool effect :) If you did it in a green skinned figure, it would probably look like a night-vision and IR signature image.

cheers,

--ms

Thanks for the link :-)

The figure used was G8F default load, skin and all. Then I made a clothing item {use figure/actor though for bones} of V4's skeleton {from the olden days} and applied the emission shader. As I recall there were some places therein to affect colour changes.

• Hay! They are not free, but they are at a very good price in a special Flash Sale: blondie9999's tutorials for rigging!

https://www.daz3d.com/rigging-original-figures-in-ds4-pro

would be the first one to tackle. It is a little dated, but still very good and explains the process.

edited February 8

Snangled from this post: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5329151/#Comment_5329151 by Cayman Studios

An idea for those desiring to make identical twins save for genders - one can use the Genesis 2 figures easily. All  one needs to do is [close D/S] and enter the data folders.

From: My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\UV Sets\DAZ 3D\Base copy the Base Female.dsf and paste it inside:
    My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Male\UV Sets\DAZ 3D\Base folder.
    Repeat bringing a copy of the Base Male.dsf into the female's folder.
    Close the folders and launch D/S.
    The Genesis 2 figures can now become twins wearing the same skins providing said skins are made for the base meshes.

Have fun.

Instant UV set.png
    1375 x 762 - 421K
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,554
    edited February 9

Snangled from this post: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5329151/#Comment_5329151 by Cayman Studios

An idea for those desiring to make identical twins save for genders - one can use the Genesis 2 figures easily. All  one needs to do is [close D/S] and enter the data folders.

From: My Library\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 2\Female\UV Sets\DAZ 3D\Base copy the Base Female.dsf and paste it inside:
    The Genesis 2 figures can now become twins wearing the same skins providing said skins are made for the base meshes.

In that case, I may as well copy all of the UV Sets in both directions:  then G2F can wear Lizard and Minotaur skins as well!wink

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
  • Snangled from this post: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5329151/#Comment_5329151 by Cayman Studios

In that case, I may as well copy all of the UV Sets in both directions:  then G2F can wear Lizard and Minotaur skins as well!wink

Kool! I haven't tried all the rest of the uv sets yet, am hoping they will work too.

edited February 23

I REALLY miss not knowing how many views any of the threads are receiving. end of rant.

Okay let's recap a few details for how to find products it being that many folk are new to Daz Studio and a lot of old or legacy products are being obtained. There is nothing wrong with the legacy items, indeed there are some very good deals to be had. V4 and M4 continue to be very popular however for use in Daz Studio {it took me awhile to change over so I understand} I really do recommend being nice to oneself. Life is too short. When it's convenient to {they DO go on sale now and then} make a purchase for Genesis of the V4/M4 legacy shapes. Making clothing is SO much easier for Genesis. In addition, the morphs for Genesis can also be mingled in with the M4 morph making the figure shape ever more useful. Also one can save material presets from the legacy figures and apply them to Genesis [be sure to check the uvset applied on Genesis] to use as starters at least for skinning Genesis to look like any of the M4 legacy figures [using M4 uvset].

The first images show where to find the M4/V4 legacy figures which are Poser files, i.e. cr2. Clothing and figures are found somewhere in that Figures folder. Props are found in the Props folder. Materials are found somewhere in the Pose folder.

An additional tip ... esp. handy for those complicated beautiful products which require their manual aka tutorial aka readme to be read. When installing them {which I do manually} I look for any manuals to copy into a subfolder for them called Manual so it can be seen in the Contents Pane.

001.png
    396 x 270 - 20K
    002.png
    568 x 387 - 30K
    003.png
    1317 x 844 - 330K
    004.png
    1559 x 790 - 219K
    005.png
    1137 x 735 - 152K
    006.png
    497 x 325 - 24K
  • Okay this is not my work BUT it is of such value to the work flow for some that golly gee, well here it is, a FREE 3D painting program, Quixel Mixer.

Thanks to WendyLuvsCatz for bringing this to our attention in the Carrara Forum.

It is a whopping 3.4G download and you need to register an account to run the program. This is because they are hoping that you will then subscribe to a monthly service to obtain content which looks like it can be purchased via the program. Not doing that ... One can import their OWN mesh and paint it :-) Mesh needs to have no overlapping uvs. So for some items such as any of the Genesis clan, one might first scoot them through a modeller and delete all but the head so they can paint on the face. May or not need to collapse the uvset first, haven't test this yet.

There'll be a bit of a learning curve like there is for any 3D program but looks to be a very interesting program. Hold down the Alt key when using the mouse to rotate the view of the model.

Once the program is 'registered' then it can be run without being online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=vL7SVWzpURY&feature=emb_logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRtXIj6ENT4

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 27,957
    edited February 29

Okay this is not my work BUT it is of such value to the work flow for some that golly gee, well here it is, a FREE 3D painting program, Quixel Mixer.

Thanks to WendyLuvsCatz for bringing this to our attention in the Carrara Forum.

It is a whopping 3.4G download and you need to register an account to run the program. This is because they are hoping that you will then subscribe to a monthly service to obtain content which looks like it can be purchased via the program. Not doing that ... One can import their OWN mesh and paint it :-) Mesh needs to have no overlapping uvs. So for some items such as any of the Genesis clan, one might first scoot them through a modeller and delete all but the head so they can paint on the face. May or not need to collapse the uvset first, haven't test this yet.

There'll be a bit of a learning curve like there is for any 3D program but looks to be a very interesting program. Hold down the Alt key when using the mouse to rotate the view of the model.

is more of a texture mixing program than a painting one, like Adobe Substance but can use a 3D mesh and limited brush masking with alphas, I mean you can paint with it but that paint is better used as a mask for textures

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Okay this is not my work BUT it is of such value to the work flow for some that golly gee, well here it is, a FREE 3D painting program, Quixel Mixer.

Registering it might be aproblem with me, given that my computer is not connected to the internet. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 27,957

Okay this is not my work BUT it is of such value to the work flow for some that golly gee, well here it is, a FREE 3D painting program, Quixel Mixer.

Registering it might be aproblem with me, given that my computer is not connected to the internet. 

no usb Dlink dongle you can pop in temporaririly if not near router?

my Win 7 is going offline soon but can plug in if needed

no usb Dlink dongle you can pop in temporaririly if not near router?

my Win 7 is going offline soon but can plug in if needed

not an option. I don't have an internet connection at my house.