Tutorials ... Tutorials ... ** New** Making Clothing using AutoFit

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 672
    edited October 28

Working on several ideas for the next tutorial. I have a question. Is anybody interested to have some form of bushy eyebrows for this character?

project on back burner

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,148

Ooh, Star Trek this would be a great tutorial but start new thread. State Star Treck morphs how to and you will get more people respond. Nice work by the way

• Ooh, Star Trek this would be a great tutorial but start new thread. State Star Treck morphs how to and you will get more people respond. Nice work by the way

Thank you.

Actually what I'm doing is updating the title of the post when new tutorials are posted. And one day I will put post links into the first post of the actual tutorial posts.

Knowlege is always good. Look foward to your tutorials.

edited October 28

Could be awhile ;-)

edited to remove images ... Project on back burner ...

I feel a star trek marathon coming on.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 9,929

Thank you for all your tutorials.  Now I have more to add to my October of Tutorials.

edited October 19

Some shaders work only with the 3Delight system, others with the Iray system. If one should happen to have both types of shaders in one image one is going to problems. So one way of coping is to make 2 renders. Omit from the scenes the incorrectly shaded items for each render, then layer them together in an image editor. Not catching the problem until the render was well under way, I used a background eraser ;-) As an Iray image renders black with 3Delight, the horse has no shadows so there again that is something to plan ahead for how to handle, be it by rendering in a shadow on another plane or adding shadows in the image editor.

Anyhow, thought some might like to see a furry horse.

investigating the possibilities background.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 274K

A furry horse is called a mule. Never seen a white mule much less a centaur mule girl. Oh, I composite all the time it overcomes all kinds of limits imposed by just using one type of render engine. Nice work on Mueltaur.

edited October 21

A furry horse is called a mule. Never seen a white mule much less a centaur mule girl. Oh, I composite all the time it overcomes all kinds of limits imposed by just using one type of render engine. Nice work on Mueltaur.

Interesting, I didn't know furry horses were called mules. Thought was only a reference to the offspring of donkeys and horses. So we've invented a new creature! I used the furry shader from Supersuit.

There are indeed white mules.

edited October 27

Today's tutorial is a minitut, just images. I'll post the images and attach them also in a zip for those that want them that way.

Using the free Cardboard item we make a cardboard figure. As such figures are intended for background use, not getting too hung up on what D/S does to the mesh, etc. Depending upon the figure, theorectically one could also add a few morphs.

13 images :-) "Cardboard to Go"                             Free Cardboard is in this Post

zip
    zip
    Cardboard to Go.zip
    2M
    001.png
    1109 x 628 - 44K
    002.png
    1205 x 766 - 203K
    003.png
    607 x 615 - 46K
    004.png
    623 x 642 - 152K
    005.png
    1501 x 809 - 183K
    006.png
    1333 x 795 - 203K
    007.png
    1338 x 695 - 186K
    008.png
    1600 x 760 - 218K
    009.png
    1238 x 763 - 200K
    010.png
    1208 x 711 - 136K
    011.png
    651 x 707 - 51K
    012.png
    1365 x 687 - 123K
    013.png
    1173 x 763 - 228K

Nice tutorial thank you

• Hi everyone, not sure how the next few weeks are going to play out, RL family semi-emergencies meaning that atm I have no idea as to how much time I'll have free for hobbies, so not to be overly concerned but there may be abit of rest before anymore tutorials are released.

• Just a HU - the V4/M4 shapes for Genesis are on sale atm.

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,629
    edited October 28

Got that some time ago, now I think only thing that I am missing from similar Genesis items is this...https://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-gen3-kids , Though I wish I could complete UV sets and morphs for G2 and up :).

Anyway thanks for carboard tutorial. I really needed it :) but will have to wait till friday to read trough it. Thank You very much!laughyes

Post edited by MilosGulan on
    edited October 28

Got that some time ago, now I think only thing that I am missing from similar Genesis items is this...https://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-gen3-kids , Though I wish I could complete UV sets and morphs for G2 and up :).

Anyway thanks for carboard tutorial. I really needed it :) but will have to wait till friday to read trough it. Thank You very much!laughyes

You are more than welcome :-)

Remember, one does not "have to" cut the figure out to use the planes. Doing so cuts down [hopefully] on the amount of time required for the rendering engines to computate whatever it is they are doing.

To date I don't have any of the GenX products, maybe one day if/when they get the package together and on sale.

You may or not also be interested in these items which are also on sale today, a couple are for clones 'n shape, the other couple are just shapes.

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-male-for-genesis-2-male-s

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-3-female-for-genesis-2-female-s

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-legacies-for-genesis-3-female-stylish

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-legacies-for-genesis-3-male-heroes

... and don't forget to check out today's free stuff, a couple of starter bundles!

edited October 29

Dug this ol' file up, as there have been a number of "how to" queries, how to share one's "character" without giving away morphs!

One saves out a Shape Preset, the user has to have the required products or it will do nothing.

Saving Shape Presets.png
    1430 x 644 - 171K
    edited October 30

No .pdf file today ... just images, decided to look into this lighting for Iray situations. Instigated by trying to render today and getting black or orange screens and like what! So ... I tried making a dome prop as has been done in the past ... and those are totally passé apparently. Iray does not play nice with them. Iray has its own Dome ... not to make things go the way we think they should, but to learn how to get results we want doing things the way Iray does them. Works better that way ;-)

In the comparison images, nothing was changed except the setting indicated. Far from comprehensive I hope it takes some of the mystery of it all away as this is one feature where understanding some of the what and why is helpful. Every scene would have its own setting requirements and as some scene load changing render settings, you may wish to also Save your preferences too. Experimenting is safe as there is that handy "default" button to reset the values.

Lights 'n Domes

001.png
    1524 x 698 - 232K
    002.png
    1529 x 710 - 139K
    003.png
    1198 x 773 - 97K
    004.png
    1197 x 781 - 224K
    005.png
    1360 x 801 - 236K
    006.png
    1188 x 789 - 217K
    007.png
    1146 x 783 - 228K
    008.png
    1197 x 775 - 183K
    009.png
    1141 x 775 - 197K
    010.png
    1113 x 778 - 173K
    edited October 31

Sevrin mentions in another post that if one does not want to see the HDR, just have the lighting goodness, turn Draw Dome to Off.

Free .hdr images can be found at several sites including hdri-hub and hdrihaven.

And the rest:

011.png
    1152 x 778 - 196K
    012.png
    1374 x 787 - 219K
    013.png
    1377 x 766 - 210K
    014.png
    1370 x 790 - 248K
    015.png
    1377 x 958 - 596K
    016.png
    1600 x 781 - 668K
    017.png
    1197 x 780 - 604K
    018.png
    1340 x 1062 - 776K
    019.png
    1600 x 790 - 628K
    edited November 1

This item is on sale ... and it is one that I've been known to use in tutorials as it makes a great clothing base. So you may be interested to grab one while it's on sale today.

https://www.daz3d.com/puppet-merchant-resource-base-mesh

There are a LOT of material bricks available for D/S here: https://developer.nvidia.com/vmaterials

It is so nice to see a page that actually mentions Daz Studio as being one of the programs supported :-)

The download is over 1 gig. It will install a previous something or other too ... nothing to be concerned about as far as Daz Studio goes. Save the goodies to a folder in Documents, wherever you please. I have in the editing basket some images to illustrate how to easily make shaders, shader presets and material presets for any or all of these goodies. VERY basic.

• Well the Puppet mesh is no longer on as great a sale as it was ...

Good news though as the family emergency situation seems to be stablizing ... and I have a set of images in the proof-reading basket for the next tutorial. It involves making Shaders and Shader Presets from those delightful .mdl files from Nividia. They really are nice so hopefully everybody who wants to has downloaded them. For those who did a long time ago, these are an updated batch ;-)

edited November 3

And here it be! .pdf in zip folder  Building Shaders in D/S4.12

Far from comprehensive, this is a VERY basic "how to" for converting some .mdl files [available from Nvidia] into D/S Shaders. In this walk through tutorial we make a Shader, a Shader Preset and a Material Preset. As with many things 3D one learns by doing. Read the tutorial first and then follow it. Aimed for beginners [which is where I'm at too for this topic] so hopefully I didn't miss any important steps. Some knowledge of how to use D/S is expected.

n.b. there is more than one link on the NVidia website from which one can download the collection. If you click on the one requiring contact information be sure to use a real email as they will email the download link.

Building a Shader in Daz Studio 4-12 promo.png
    773 x 1000 - 140K
  • BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,320

A little heads up for everyone on these .MDL files, where ever you install them they will have a folder structure "mdl/nvidia/vMaterials". When you add the pathway to the MDL Directory Manager in the ShaderMixer, make sure you point it to the "mdl" folder, point it to any of the subfolders and Iray and the SM wont find the textures.

Second thing to be aware of is that the textures supplied with this are tileable, yet none of the "bricks" I've checked can get a texture tiler brick connected to them. They do have a Translate and a Scale connecter, but Float2 (F2) connecters can't be directly connected to the User Parameters brick. So we need another brick (or two) to make the connection, I think it's a case of too many bricks in the brickyard as I'm about crosseyed trying to find something to use.

• Bejaymac said:

A little heads up for everyone on these .MDL files, where ever you install them they will have a folder structure "mdl/nvidia/vMaterials". When you add the pathway to the MDL Directory Manager in the ShaderMixer, make sure you point it to the "mdl" folder, point it to any of the subfolders and Iray and the SM wont find the textures.

Second thing to be aware of is that the textures supplied with this are tileable, yet none of the "bricks" I've checked can get a texture tiler brick connected to them. They do have a Translate and a Scale connecter, but Float2 (F2) connecters can't be directly connected to the User Parameters brick. So we need another brick (or two) to make the connection, I think it's a case of too many bricks in the brickyard as I'm about crosseyed trying to find something to use.

Thank you very much for these pointers.

I agree that for a full function Shader, they will definitely require more bricks to be added however in the meantime this process will enable folk to make some use from the one brick.

In the long run I would also like to have options for more than one image, maybe even some double-sided, and all kinds of stuff -- when/as/if we ever figure out the rest of brickyard.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,320

"Whistles out of tune"

White_Carpet-1.jpg
    1360 x 768 - 160K
    White_Carpet.jpg
    796 x 610 - 423K
    edited November 4
    Bejaymac said:

"Whistles out of tune"

Oh now, that's to be a "joyful noise" yes! Congrats ... so far all the additions I tried did nothing lol ...

to all: remember when looking for more bricks to add, they must be from the mdl category, the rest are for 3Delight

by the by ... anyone into collecting shaders, there have been lots on sale this past month and today there is this one to put fur on everything!

https://www.daz3d.com/oso-fur-shaders-for-iray

that's not poke through ... that's called putting clothing on something that should not wearing clothing ;-)

furry people.png
    1000 x 1000 - 470K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 9,929

Thank you for that HDR and lighting info.  Great stuff.

• Diomede said:

Thank you for that HDR and lighting info.  Great stuff.

Thank you. It's only a beginning! There are so many variables.

Bejaymac said:

"Whistles out of tune"

Oh now, that's to be a "joyful noise" yes! Congrats ... so far all the additions I tried did nothing lol ...

to all: remember when looking for more bricks to add, they must be from the mdl category, the rest are for 3Delight

by the by ... anyone into collecting shaders, there have been lots on sale this past month and today there is this one to put fur on everything!

https://www.daz3d.com/oso-fur-shaders-for-iray

that's not poke through ... that's called putting clothing on something that should not wearing clothing ;-)

Yeah, that was the first thing to go into my basket. Very useful this shader.

edited November 5

@Bejaymac  be there any chance of telling us where you found those bricks? I've been through the brickyard a few times now ... probably hiding in plain sight ... I did find some possibilities but alas one turned everything black and the rest did nothing. I gather there's an override feature in how these bricks get put together.

For all: hope we noticed that there's a filter for the sidebar brickyard. That's real handy.

edit to add: As I work my way through the files, yes, not a surprize however, not all of these work well "as is" ...

filter.png
    343 x 500 - 28K
    not all are very good as is.png
    1366 x 732 - 458K