render parts of scene to new window ?

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I read somewhere that DS 4.6 allowed to render parts of the scene outside the viewport, I thought it was a really cool feature because I could render a scene in three parts and then stich them with PS afterwards if for example I wanted to leave and turn off the computer... but now that I've finally installed 4.6 I don't see any option of that sort... is there something like that ?

Comments

• DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited December 1969

awz4158 said:
    I read somewhere that DS 4.6 allowed to render parts of the scene outside the viewport, I thought it was a really cool feature because I could render a scene in three parts and then stich them with PS afterwards if for example I wanted to leave and turn off the computer... but now that I've finally installed 4.6 I don't see any option of that sort... is there something like that ?

Its an option in the spot render tool:

Activate the spot render tool.
    Go to the "Tool Settings Pane"
    Click the "New Window" window radio button.

• edited December 1969

Oooh thank you ! thank you so much for the info ! this will be very useful to correct details and render in steps.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    I use this all the time to touch up breakthrough or fingers that are at slightly wrong angles, or over-aggressive smoothing that doesn't show up in the preview.

I used to get frustrated, because my render would get 50% done, and I'd see a painful error that I wasn't going to be able to fix easily in post. Now I evaluate if I can fix it with a spot re-render (sometimes you can't because the changes will screw up shadowing or something similar) and if so, I let the render finish, and it fixes SO much faster...

It was a feature I didn't realize I needed (or was possible!) until 4.6.

-- Morgan

• Is there a way to do it and update the last render? For instance I want to see what two different eye shadows look like and compare them - I would like to render one eye, change the color, and then render the other. I know you could do this in Poser, but not sure about DS.

• As a Spot render, or do you mean keeping the original full render in the background? Not the latter I'm afraid, other than by saving the spot render and main render out and then layering them.