In Store NOW!: Gemologica by Fisty and Marieah

Comments

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

I would like to see Symbols for the Yearly Chinese Zodiac and perhaps the Greek planetary Symbols.

A nice Cohesive collection of both Greek and Chinese Zodiac signs would be very much appreciated.

This set just has the western zodiac, but it would not be hard for you to make your own addons for it, either for your own use or to offer as a freebie. I was hoping people would do just that.

RAMwolff, I love the new thread title. It's the first Claytons Commercial Thread I've evr had.

For those who don't remember the Claytons advertising campaign, this would be the commercial thread you're having when you're not having a commercial thread.:-)

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

GeneRufus said:
    SHINEYS!

I'm totally willing to brave all the recent site bugs for them.

Even the brain bugs?

(Johnny Rico might back you up there....)

On a more serious note; keep up the good work, Fisty and Marieah!!
    edited June 2012

Fisty said:
    Most of the time I use a regular 3-distance light setup, much like old poser default but all white instead of that icky brown. If I want to use AO I will switch out my 30% fill light for an uber environment light at like 20% intensity to add the AO but not really effect the shadows or specular effect I already had.

I'm feeling good using UberEnvironment and one directional raytraced light (stonemason's tutorial pushed me into using UE extensively). Just a quick question, is there any difference using UE and one directional light using raytraing (quality, render-time etc.), or are the renders pretty much the same? (I'm going to migrate to DS4 when the general release is out, so don't feel bad if it doesn't work right in DS3, I'll get them anyway)
    Post edited by Norse Graphics on
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

In comparison to what setup exactly?

edited December 1969

Eg., versus Light Dome Pro 2? Or any other combination of lights (you said 3 light setup). I just wonder how much time is spent to see if there's any appreciable difference, or if they're just as fast.

• GeneRufusGeneRufus Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

GeneRufus said:
    SHINEYS!

I'm totally willing to brave all the recent site bugs for them.

Even the brain bugs?

Yes. Even those. The pretty shinies are that pretty.

Seriously though, I've got a whole bunch of poser-only jewelry items that I thought I'd never really be able to use before I saw this. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

edited December 1969

Eg., versus Light Dome Pro 2? Or any other combination of lights (you said 3 light setup). I just wonder how much time is spent to see if there's any appreciable difference, or if they're just as fast.

I think light dome pro uses all regular lights. I often use just regular lights. If I use raytraced or mapped shadows depends on the scene. If I have hair or glass or anything else large with transparency I will use mapped shadows. (Including if I also have an UE light in the scene.. The quality gain is just not worth the extra time to raytrace shadows.)

AO from UE will take a hell of a long time to render through transparency as well. I will use it, but it depends on the purpose of the render. For promos I'm willing to wait the extra few hours, other things I'm not. For hair you can use uber surface (or uber hair) and turn of AO and raytracing on it. Then if you use mapped shadows on your lights you'll still get shadows from it so it'll look realistic, but it won't take forever to render the hair. (don't turn off raytracing on the hair if you're going to have a mirror or other really reflective object that would see it! Normally just turning off AO is sufficient anyway.)

• GhostpantherGhostpanther Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

The more I see, the more I must have these shaders, but nonetheless I have another question: will it be possible to use Gemologica as well in Bryce 7 Pro and will it still work, if the object with the shader will be transferred to Bryce ?
    Or will it work in Carrara, too ? I don't use Carrara, but I know some people, who might be interested very much.

Fisty said:
    A lot of the semi precious gems should transfer pretty well, though you'll probably need to set the tiling numbers again. The pearls, and precious gems, and shell types rely heavily on specular and reflection tricks that probably wouldn't transfer over well. I have no idea how the metals would translate but both those programs already have nice metal materials. All the extra displacement/bump things should work, even if they don't come along for the ride they could be plugged in. I don't know how those 2 programs handle normal maps, some of the pendant designs use normals.

So.. short answer - somewhat, but don't buy this for only that. If it's a bonus type thing then you might have some fun with it.

Both Fisty and I are DS developers rather than Bryce or Carrara.

But if an experienced Bryce or Carrara developer were to contact us about making a separate product, I'm sure an arrangement could be reached.

@Fisty: It would be surely an additional bonus to use the shaders in Bryce, too, although there are already a lot of metals and stones - but on the other hand, you can never have enough gems to make a texture ;-)
    My experience with DS and Bryce very often showed, that the texture, which was made in DS, wasn't transferred to Bryce - and that's, why I asked about it.

@Marieah: unfortunately I'm no developer for Bryce or Carrara, but if you will need a tester for it, I would be lucky to do that for you ^_^

edited December 1969

So does everyone agree this is awesome? Since we're waiting for the Daz store to be stable again I decided to make a conforming genesis version with a cord and stuff.. (don't worry, still going to include the solo pendant that works in DS3 and Poser)

NecklaceFigureTextured.jpg
    500 x 650 - 184K
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

Way beyond awesome. I actually could use a trinket like that right now. :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

That is fantastic.

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

That is absolutely beautiful!

edited December 1969

It looks so awesome, that I think, I will never again use something else to make jewelry in 3D *dancethehappydance*

• templarlovertemplarlover Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

That pendant looks gorgeous, Fisty!

edited December 1969

I'm currently fighting with rigging and rigidity mapping.. got the rigidity mapping working but when I apply like 3/4 of the full body morphs to genesis the rotation center of the pendant bone moves out of allignment. grrr...

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

I don't remember the details, but there are some extra options in rigidity maps that might affect the bone center, etc.

edited December 1969

mmm.. okay, I'll poke at it a bit more before I give up and just delete the extra pendant bone. I can get the same effect with a few movement morphs so it's not a huge deal anyway. I'm gonna try a gradient blue to red on the bail instead of the whole bail/loop/pendant disk being solid red and see if that helps.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Good answer, sorry only just saw this post. So busy with work I haven't spent much time here lately.

Pendraia said:
    Great image....where's the dragon? It looks like a dragons hoard....

The dragon is sitting just to the right of the chest, looking quite aggressive but a bit complacent as well. He has a pearl necklace hanging out of his mouth (I think he eats them) and coins wedged in his scales from rolling around in his treasure. You can't see him because he's out of shot.:)

Neil, that's a great use of the shaders. I'd never have thought to do that.

edited December 1969

One necklace, 800+ shaders, tons of different looks.. :)

NecklaceStone.jpg
    500 x 650 - 180K
    NecklaceRedBlack.jpg
    500 x 650 - 145K
    NecklacePearly.jpg
    500 x 650 - 154K
    NecklaceChinese.jpg
    500 x 650 - 154K
    edited December 1969

This is where we post that picture of Fry from Futurama waving a wad of money, and the catchphrase involved. ;) I want it. I need it. I really like her mane. Err, wrong meme error there!

edited December 1969

LOL! I guess that means you like it?

edited December 1969

I've been wanting it so badly since Day 1. :)

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

GIMME

halolz-dot-com-futurama-thelegendofzelda-shutupandtakemyrupees.jpg
    500 x 320 - 45K
    edited December 1969

Theeeeeere we go. :)

edited December 1969

Had to be done..

shut-up-and-take-my-bottlecaps.png
    500 x 314 - 173K
    edited December 1969

Oh, yes !! Me, too !
    It's really marvelous ;-) <3 <3 *handingovertheheartflower*</p>

edited December 1969

Inception8 is having a 40% off sale, great time to grab some jewelry to use these on. =)
    http://www.runtimedna.com/Inception8-Swag-Sale/

We'll be uploading to the store very soon. Still has to go through QA but as you can see the store isn't exactly being hammered by new releases right now so hopefully will go through fairly quick.

• Kesha2009Kesha2009 Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

Awesome! :~D

• edited December 1969

Yay I found this I thought this product had disappeared for some reason before when I searched for anything about this product I couldn't find anything but then all of a sudden today I basically snapped my fingers and found it annoyed yet happy ;)

edited December 1969

Nope, not disappeared. =) We were just sitting on this for a bit waiting for the store to become more stable.. and it gave us some time to add more goodies for y'all!