StrangeFate's stuff: Tribal Armor & Body Paints out now!

Comments

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261

Well, it looks great so if it helps cut down on VRAM usage without sacrificing quality . . . that's huge.

- Greg

What he said

• @algovincian - If I was nitpicking I'd say I lose some control over the normalmap effects where the yellow plaster ends/blends. With a custom texture I'd be able to accentuate the blend better, but it's not worth the VRAM difference, so I'm happy so far.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,235

New Project, new... exterior!

Not very exciting visually (yet ?), but a first go at using Daz's 4 Layer Uber PBR MDL shader to blend the yellow plaster and gray damage textures, rather than using a larger, custom texture ( = much less VRAM usage with blending vs. a big custom texture).

I hadn't looked into texture blending with Daz until now and it's not the shader of my dreams but should do well enough for some of the larger exteriors I wanted to do down the road.

i think there could be a better layered shader set up: https://www.daz3d.com/muelsfell-multilayer-iray-terrain-shader

not sure about the merchant resource aspect of it though.

• OdinVonDOdinVonD Posts: 243

Cool! I didn't know that that was a thing either! It looks great! Very excited to see what's to come of it! 

• @lilweep - Yeah I actually purchased that shader a whlie ago, but after looking into a few possible shaders and hearing some stories... it seems better to stick to Daz shaders. There's always the chance that a Daz update might break 3rd party shaders.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

@lilweep - Yeah I actually purchased that shader a whlie ago, but after looking into a few possible shaders and hearing some stories... it seems better to stick to Daz shaders. There's always the chance that a Daz update might break 3rd party shaders.

That (breaking 3rd party shaders) has happened several times with Daz Studio/Iray updates. 

• So, the current project is a Hobbit'ish inspired modular home. The plan is to release the different rooms separately as we finish them.

Some bullet points so I don't end up writing a book, if anything doesn't make sense, let me know :)

* 1 Large room

* 1 Small room

* 1 Entrance + Exterior terrain pieces (some with fence) you can place around the whole house for more exterior space.

* Several hallway pieces for varation (doors on both sides, or windows, or walls or whatever). All rooms attach to hallways.

* All rooms and hallway pieces already come with exterior architecture

* If the products do somewhat well, we'll do more entrances, room layouts and some exterior only rooms (outside storage, small smithy etc. Since it's all modular with a simple grid, it's easy to do new parts for it.

* Everything is on a grid, so it will easily snap into place and can then be decorated with the terrain pieces coming with the entrance product.

* Exterior architecture of all rooms and sizes should always work/blend well beside eachother (no gaps and stuff that doesn't look natural).

* Furniture / interior props will probably be separate products. Roguey loves doing furniture sets so the idea is that you can just buy the architecture/room you like and then get any of the prop sets that will convert the room into a Living room, master bedroom, study, Herbalist room etc. Each prop set will come with SubScenes where everything is already set up for the rooms (both sizes whenever possible). This approach will hopefully let her do stuff she's good and fast at, and free some of my time for more armor stuff and other environments I want to do.

* We've also been thinking about having subscenes with those furniture sets that would decorate the medieval bedroom and the Inn whenever possible... and in case of the Inn, given its size, to the extend possible. Most people seem to just want a nice area set up for a few renders, so if we can do that reasonably well with the new furniture sets, we will (or mostly, she will probably).

* Unrelated to the House... Roguey wants to convert the Bone breaker armor to G8 Female. I just need to find some time to look into it. She's way ahead of me on her tasks for the House indecision

Anyway, bit of an update, still all WIP, will blend better together eventually. The interior images are old with unfinished parts, but all I have right now.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

That looks very promising!

*chains up credit card so it doesn't run away*

edited August 2020

Ditto on what Nath said

Added a cage around my credit card

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • OdinVonDOdinVonD Posts: 243

That looks so good! I so look forward to your products! 

so good.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

That new project looks very promising!!!!

• Small update with the blended ground

• Romulus71Romulus71 Posts: 141

* Unrelated to the House... Roguey wants to convert the Bone breaker armor to G8 Female.

Yes very much want this. Kadis for G8M would be great too! As far as the new hobbit style home, I thought I may finally skip one of your products. Seeing the clay render I realize it will be a must-have product too. Curse yours and Roguey's bank account siphoning skills!

• @Romulus71 - Skipping is fine. There's still time for us to make it undesiderable enough :)

Small update with some green... I'm not too crazy about the grass on top but I'd have to explore some tricks and see if they work if I want something else, so it is what it is for now.
    Things have been moving slowly but in September we should be able to focus a bit more on this.
    Might tone the green down a bit maybe on some of the weed around the ground.

Started looking into converting the armor. I understand there's a market for creating separate male and female clothing, but it's still a bit dissapointing that there's no simple way to convert everything... given that all the bones etc are named the same anyway (afaik).

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

Take your time... THIS looks SOOOOO fantastic. And as always: INSTANT BUY!!! yes

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

As with all of your modeling/texturing, I find the edges make all the difference - whether it's the edges on a leather strap, or the bottom edge of the foundation in this case.

The weathering, dirt, etc. always look so natural and really help make the transitions (like from the building to the ground). Can't wait to bury this into the side of a hill.

- Greg

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

wow...the roof planting looks great.  really natural.  i predict we'll see many elves and adventurers hanging out on the roof of the house.  :)

random suggestion:  if you include a tileable square of  those plants with the house, we can surface the hillsides we tuck the house into with matching growth.  just a though...

beautiful work, regardless.

j

As with all of your modeling/texturing, I find the edges make all the difference - whether it's the edges on a leather strap, or the bottom edge of the foundation in this case.

The weathering, dirt, etc. always look so natural and really help make the transitions (like from the building to the ground). Can't wait to bury this into the side of a hill.

- Greg

Yes, one of the best in the biz.  I hate sharp transitions, even in inorganic and mordern environments, it's not realistic.  

• Yeah, blending materials/edges together or just softening thetransitions removes a lot of the usual 3D'ish feel of things.

A closer angle.

Really looking good

• I love the flowers under the bench, very summer vibe

• StrangeFateStrangeFate Posts: 756
    edited September 2020

Interior Update!  ...sorry for the bloom.

Been trying the Iray blending shader on the interior walls too.

So basically the base wall texture is rather simple and plain, and then add masks with the darker areas for the corners and around the wood.

Instead of needing custom textures for each wall to get that effect, I can reuse the same tiling wall texture and just make a custom alpha mask for each wall, which is waaaay cheaper than custom textures... not that it matters much probably as I guess we're all getting 3080 GPUs soon ?

The ceiling has no blending yet, as contrast vs. the walls.

The blending also isn't final, there will be a baseboard along the bottom of the walls and some will have wooden panels along the bottom half (like the medieval bedroom, but different.)

Debating whether I should also blend the wooden Beams where they intersect. Would add some oomph but also some work...

The downside of relying on blending is that it will be harder to reuse the product outside of Daz, as you might have to set up a more complex material in the other app to have things looking the same.

Post edited by StrangeFate on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253

Sounds like it will be a pain in the patoot to convert to 3DL. But I'll admit your stuff is worth the effort.

• it will go nicely with the other Hobbiton style buildings in store too yes

Is your tiling value for the underlying walls different to the tiling value for the dirt/edge mask layer?

How do you do that? I thought you were using the Daz layered shader, which i thought didnt allow for different tiling of different layers.

Or is the blending layer completely different geometry with opacity mask on it?

• @lilweep - You can do it through the Image Editor. Set the tiling there for all the maps, but leave the alpha mask at 1x ...it's not ideal having to go through each texture, but it's the only way I found.

@JOdel - I've been thinking about maybe, perhaps, possibly, including 3DL texture versions of the blended materials. Rather than smaller tiling textures with alpha blending, these would be regular 4k textures with the blending stuff already applied on them in Painter, which would visually give more or less the same result but use more VRAM, which I don't think matters for 3DL anyway (?)

oh interesting - didn't realise you could do that.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253

The tradeoff between RAM and obligatory progressive rendering is one that I'd happily agree to. But I can't speak for any of the other 3DL users. There are several of us, I know. There might even be a few "hold your nose and render Iray" types who would welcome having the option.

• It all looks really good @Strangefate.  Thank you for you and Roguey's attention to detail, it makes all the difference.